Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I really wish I could get into the smoky peaty scotches. I just don't like them.
I'm with you. A touch of smoke I'm okay with but the really peaty scotches make me feel like I'm drinking an ashtray
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm with you. A touch of smoke I'm okay with but the really peaty scotches make me feel like I'm drinking an ashtray
Yeah. Oban is about as smoky as I like (and I love Oban).
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:39 pm

I find my tastes differ over time and whatever mood I am in, so I like to keep at least one bottle each of an Islay, Highland, and Speyside single malt in the liquor cabinet. For Islay single malts, which are the smokier, peatier varieties, I prefer Caol Ila or Laphroaig, but I can tolerate all of the others as well.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'm pretty well-catered for at home, thanks to well-brought up sons and a wife who doesn't know what else to give me.

Snapshots of my whisky shelves - all gifts apart from the Glenfarclas 105, and I've since added an Ardbeg Uigeadail thanks to son's visits to Islay:

if I'm out, I generally go for Talisker if they have it, since nobody has given me one of those yet.
:-( <- poor me.
Pa Kettle likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
...I love a lot of ice. Whether I'm "supposed to" or not, it's my drink and it's how I take it.
To each their own, of course. And, there are some single malts where adding just a sliver of ice or a small bit of water is beneficial to opening them up. But, lowering the temperature that dramatically and possibly adding a great deal more water than is necessary, you are going to lose a lot of the subtler notes that can really differentiate one single malt Scotch from another. Might as well just stick to the blended Scotches, if that is the case and save some money.

But, as you say...it's your drink, so take it as you will.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
Good night for the right shade of blue (Duke) tonight. Celebrated by killing my Hibiki 21 (finally - bought it 3 years ago and have been savoring it) and enjoying some Hibiki 17 (thankfully reloaded in December in Tokyo) and Yoichi Miyagikyo 12 (sadly almost out of a bottle I bought pre-price spike).

Can say with certainty that Hibiki 17 remains my favorite and I actually give the nod to the Yoichi 12 over the Hibiki 21.

Too bad it's all gotten so expensive. The "Japanese Whisky" price premium on everything these days sucks for those of us who actually enjoy drinking it (rather than just flipping it).

Next goal is to find things that are similar but in the old Japanese Whisky price range.

Sigh. It was a sad day when I ran out of my Hibiki 15 (2 months ago) and my Yamazaki 12 (9 months ago). Only my sole prized possession: The Nikka Yoichi 20 Yr old remains, unopened, that I purchased in 2015 from NRT, just before they discontinued it (at a then price of 6,000 yen). I don't want to pawn it off, but somehow I am almost too intimidated to crack it open either. This is the last of its kind. And that is a humbling thought.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not really Scotch, but had some Dingle Distillery Single Malt Cask Strength in DUB this past weekend. Really nice stuff; it had plenty of strength to it (it was around 62%), and opened up pretty nicely even without adding water--but a splash of water really made it bloom.

I couldn't find a bottle locally in Dublin; they had the regular 2nd batch single malt, and the bartender was able to sell me a bottle of the 1st batch single pot still, but alas, none of the cask strength around. Sounds like a trip back to Dingle is in order at some point...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Had a really stressful consultation at a client's house today so my paralegal and I decided to hit the nearest bar. It turned out to be an Olive Garden. I asked for a Jameson on the rocks and it came with a lime wedge on the glass.

Me: Why did you serve this with a lime?
Bartender: I thought it looked pretty!
Me: Well you don't usually serve scotch with lime
Bartender; Oh, do you want a lemon instead?

It was truly bewildering.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:51 pm

Had a really stressful consultation at a client's house today so my paralegal and I decided to hit the nearest bar. It turned out to be an Olive Garden. I asked for a Jameson on the rocks and it came with a lime wedge on the glass.

Me: Why did you serve this with a lime?
Bartender: I thought it looked pretty!
Me: Well you don't usually serve scotch with lime
Bartender; Oh, do you want a lemon instead?

It was truly bewildering.
What is bewildering is that you drink Jamesons. That stuff is like turpentine.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
What is bewildering is that you drink Jamesons. That stuff is like turpentine.
It was the only scotch they had. I figured turpentine was better than no scotch at all.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It was the only scotch they had. I figured turpentine was better than no scotch at all.
Am I confused or is Jameson's actually an Irish whisky?

I bought a bottle of Hibiki Harmony yesterday afternoon and opened it almost immediately upon returning home. Shared it with the youngest son and his fiancé. I think we were unanimous in declaring it delicious.
EuropeanPete and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Am I confused or is Jameson's actually an Irish whisky?

No, you are not confused.

Scotch whisky is only made in Scotland. There are many other whiskies, but they are not scotch if they are not made in Scotland.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Larrude
No, you are not confused.

Scotch whisky is only made in Scotland. There are many other whiskies, but they are not scotch if they are not made in Scotland.
Anyone know a good Irish whisky for someone like me who likes Speyside scotch?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:27 am

I was really surprised by this one. Got it for $27 at the local Total Wine & More.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It depends what kind of Speyside you're considering, but Teeling Small Batch might be worth a try in case you like your Macallan and other sherry type casked bottles. I'd also say that Green Spot or Yellow Spot might be up your alley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.