Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I tasted Glenfarclas 21 several years ago. A friend was clearing out her liquor cabinet at a party and announced that every dusty bottle would be thrown away Sunday morning, empty or not. Another friend and I made sure that bottle was bone dry come daylight. Since then I've been looking for the 21 to add to my own collection but haven't found it locally. Costco in the area does carry Glenfarclas 25 but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Thoughts?
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The 21 is a sweet spot for Glenfarclas, indeed...but it's the 17 that I actually recommend. Cheaper than the 21 and yet quite close in expression. The 25 is far sweeter from the sherry influence and obviously far more pricey. They don't sell the 17 everywhere, but it's well worth the search. (They sell the 15 in the USA, and the 17 in UK duty free, I think.)
IMHO the sweet spot for ageing seems to be 15-21. Bought a Glenfarclas 17 at LHR World of Whisky duty-free 2014
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm doing a favor for a friend of mine and his roommates and representing one party in an upcoming divorce. It'll mean maybe two hours of work and I was glad to do it.

Today, unprompted, they gifted me a bottle of The Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask. It's the kind of scotch I'd be unlikely to buy for myself but am happy to try out. Good gift by them.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm doing a favor for a friend of mine and his roommates and representing one party in an upcoming divorce. It'll mean maybe two hours of work and I was glad to do it.

Today, unprompted, they gifted me a bottle of The Balvenie 14 Year Caribbean Cask. It's the kind of scotch I'd be unlikely to buy for myself but am happy to try out. Good gift by them.
Can we expect a review sometime soon?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
Can we expect a review sometime soon?
Tomorrow night, naturally. I got it tonight after I'd already had a few beers and want to make sure my palate isn't tainted.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Caribbean Cask is delightful but a bit sweet from the rum barrels.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:45 pm

It was definitely a little sweet but also very smooth. I tend to like my scotch with a bit more bite to it but it never hurts to have a good sipping whisky at home.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:51 pm

It was definitely a little sweet but also very smooth. I tend to like my scotch with a bit more bite to it but it never hurts to have a good sipping whisky at home.
Alright! So, when can I stop by to try some?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card

If you like The Balvenie, I'd recommend their 17 year old Doublewood - a notch or two up in cost but lovely stuff
gfunkdave, tentseller and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:15 am
Suspended

What' a good scotch that is not super woody?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
What' a good scotch that is not super woody?
Do you have any favorites? Maybe someone can suggest something similar?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:04 am

I had dinner yesterday at Rasika West End here in DC and they had a selection of Amrut Indian Scotches. I'd never had one before so I tried the Peated Single Malt Whisky as I'm a big Laphroaig guy. It wasn't bad, a little sweeter than Laphroaig and hey, now I can say I've had Indian scotch.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
I had dinner yesterday at Rasika West End here in DC and they had a selection of Amrut Indian Scotches. I'd never had one before so I tried the Peated Single Malt Whisky as I'm a big Laphroaig guy. It wasn't bad, a little sweeter than Laphroaig and hey, now I can say I've had Indian scotch.
Indian Scotch??? :-)

Don't let anyone in Scotland hear you say that. Scotch only comes from place!
gfunkdave and TWA884 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
Do you have any favorites? Maybe someone can suggest something similar?
I'm usually more of a whisky/bourbon person - Buffalo Trace has been my goto for a while, usually get bulleit rye when grabbing a Manhattan. Jameson if it's not a fancy bar, though I find it, for lack of a better term, a little dull. (Like it's been watered down from a fancier one?)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I got a chance to try Thomson Whiskey's "Manuka Smoke". They're a distiller in New Zealand using 100% NZ ingredients. I was impressed. Unfortunately not available outside NZ/AU.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greggarious
I'm usually more of a whisky/bourbon person - Buffalo Trace has been my goto for a while, usually get bulleit rye when grabbing a Manhattan. Jameson if it's not a fancy bar, though I find it, for lack of a better term, a little dull. (Like it's been watered down from a fancier one?)
Macallan's is a good choice for fine malt whisky that doesn't have much smoke or peat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.