Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Interesting comment - I personally don't find any peat in MacCallan or Glenmorangie, but definitely a light level of peat in Oban.
It is not as peated as an Islay malt or Talisker from Skye, more along the peat levels of Ledaig on Mull
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Larrude
Interesting comment - I personally don't find any peat in MacCallan or Glenmorangie, but definitely a light level of peat in Oban.
It is not as peated as an Islay malt or Talisker from Skye, more along the peat levels of Ledaig on Mull
The hardness on the nose is not from peat. Rather it is an elevation in the presence of alcohol. Most of the > 10 year old Highland single malts that I've tried do not have this element. In my experience, most single malts in this age range from this region carry other nose characteristics such as floral/caramel/etc. to a higher degree and the alcohol is in the background. In this one, it is very much forward, almost hiding the other nose characteristics.

But, in the end, it's the tasting that matters and this one has a very good finish.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
The hardness on the nose is not from peat. Rather it is an elevation in the presence of alcohol. Most of the > 10 year old Highland single malts that I've tried do not have this element. In my experience, most single malts in this age range from this region carry other nose characteristics such as floral/caramel/etc. to a higher degree and the alcohol is in the background. In this one, it is very much forward, almost hiding the other nose characteristics.

But, in the end, it's the tasting that matters and this one has a very good finish.
Agree!

I was actually responding ( must have hit the wrong reply button ) to a post a little above yours that mentioned "similar to Macallan/Glenmorangie/Oban"
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Recently tried the Grant's Sherry Cask Reserve... wasn't bad for a younger blended sherry cask-er.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Cracked open my bottle of White Walker for the GoT premiere.

Considering there's probabaly a 40-50% markup on the MSRP by virtue of both the Johnnie Walker label and the GoT promo tie-in, it wasn't terrible juice.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Tried something new this go around at the ABC Store. It's okay but pretty forgettable, doubt I'll buy it again.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

Tried something new this go around at the ABC Store. It's okay but pretty forgettable, doubt I'll buy it again.
See that's interesting. I found it quite nice. If you want to get rid of it I could be there right away.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

I haven't tasted their 16 year, but I have found Aberlour to be very salty.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I haven't tasted their 16 year, but I have found Aberlour to be very salty.
Salty?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by zitsky
Salty?
My bad. It wasn’t Aberlour I was thinking of.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
See that's interesting. I found it quite nice. If you want to get rid of it I could be there right away.
I don't mind it also.
At the very least with a 16 you won't have that nasty young Scotch aftertaste of rubbing alcohol or whatever...

But I don't find myself to be the pickiest of Scotch drinkers... I find any >12 non-Islay or >10 Islay to be generally acceptable. Heck, I also like blended!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to Maryland this weekend and stopped into a liquor store in Easton on the Eastern Shore. Their selection was surprisingly impressive, especially when compared to my usual ABC Store back in North Carolina.

I got this for $269. I've never seen it in North Carolina and I'm not sure if I've ever seen it at a bar either. It's without a doubt the smoothest most velvety scotch I've ever had. Beautiful color too.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:27 pm

A'bunadh is far superior
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't mind it also.
At the very least with a 16 you won't have that nasty young Scotch aftertaste of rubbing alcohol or whatever...

But I don't find myself to be the pickiest of Scotch drinkers... I find any >12 non-Islay or >10 Islay to be generally acceptable. Heck, I also like blended!
I'm with you YYZ.
Living in northeast Scotland, I'm spoilt for choice.

Paradoxically, this drives one back towards simplicity. You start drinking popular blends and trying to identify the components. Eventually you begin to enjoy the skill that goes into these blends.

Full circle, and a lot cheaper!
Giantlonglegs likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

Whisky - Inverness

I'm a Scot living near Inverness, but I work abroad, and work mainly with Americans. We often get talking about whiskies and I advise them.

I love to buy a good bottle of whisky to take home from duty free in Amsterdam when connecting flights, or direct to Glasgow from Dubai.

However I really enjoy drinking:

Glenlivit 18
Tamnavulin
Aberlour 12
Chivas Regal 18
Blair Athol 12
Glenfiddich 12
Dalmore

And lastly one of the newest whiskies on the market is Glen Wyvis, the distillery by Dingwall, near Inverness.

There are many more whiskies I could mention but everyone has there prefered whisky they drink, and how they drink it.

If anyone is heading to the Highlands on holiday and staying in Inverness, I recommend you visit the Malt Room in Inverness, it's a nice wee whisky bar, and has many delightful whiskies on offer. The price of a dram goes from reasonable to pretty expensive. They also do tastings as well.

This may assist you when you start selecting distilleries to start visiting.

Enjoy the water of life :-)

Last edited by Giantlonglegs; Apr 29, 2019 at 5:18 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.