Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
So, next time I'm in town, you're buying?
I only get back a couple times a year since I left in 2013. And since I was there a couple weeks ago, it will be a while. But, yeah if we both find ourselves in Knoxpatch at the same time, I'll buy you an ounce of anything you like as long as it's under $15 so Mrs BamaVol doesn't arch an eyebrow at me.

Come down to ECP and I'll take you to Lowes House of Bourbon or Fishale.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Since Mrs BV keeps the books at home, there's no point in lying. She reviews all debit and credit expenses and any large cash withdrawal would be questioned. And she might not believe I spent it on liquor.

She doesn't give me a hard time about it. I just keep my desires in check most of the time.
Ahhh...marriage
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I must admit, cloistered though I may seem, that I have found a decent variety of single malts (from lower line to top-of-the -line) in liquor stores in Houston and Dallas at prices more reasonable than in the UK. These days, traveling on my own "buck", I tend to avoid the grossly inflated prices some joints (which think too highly of themselves and the impression they make upon their patrons) levy for setting a wee dram a'fore me.

As earlier noted, I believe that the current fascination with single malts has cut into the sale of blends and brought some previously unknown (or new) single malts on to the market both in the US and the UK. As with wine, where the last decade's despised rejects may turn out to be more drinkable than expected, experimentation, especially with modestly priced products, can be pleasant and rewarding.

As with sex in those long ago days when I was young, "culling" never enters my mind.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TMOliver
I must admit, cloistered though I may seem, that I have found a decent variety of single malts (from lower line to top-of-the -line) in liquor stores in Houston and Dallas at prices more reasonable than in the UK. These days, traveling on my own "buck", I tend to avoid the grossly inflated prices some joints (which think too highly of themselves and the impression they make upon their patrons) levy for setting a wee dram a'fore me.

As earlier noted, I believe that the current fascination with single malts has cut into the sale of blends and brought some previously unknown (or new) single malts on to the market both in the US and the UK. As with wine, where the last decade's despised rejects may turn out to be more drinkable than expected, experimentation, especially with modestly priced products, can be pleasant and rewarding.

As with sex in those long ago days when I was young, "culling" never enters my mind.
There are many unknown single malts being marketed in new money economies (China). These are no more than goods that are not good enough to stand on its own but usable in a blend.
I was served some at a business dinner and it tasted like something that should be put into a cheap blend. Manners prevented me from asking questions or looking at the label.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:36 pm

Years ago I tried a bunch of scotch (ranging from cheap paint thinner stuff to $$$) and found that most were not pleasing. All I could taste was alcohol and the BURN. I remember liking Macallan (forgot the age) but that's about it.

I'd like to try again... What are your recommendations for something that tastes "mild", if that's a proper term?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Years ago I tried a bunch of scotch (ranging from cheap paint thinner stuff to $$$) and found that most were not pleasing. All I could taste was alcohol and the BURN. I remember liking Macallan (forgot the age) but that's about it.

I'd like to try again... What are your recommendations for something that tastes "mild", if that's a proper term?
I had a similar personal experience with Scotch. I tried a few well-known brands when I was younger and could not stand them. Twelve years later I tried again, with different brands, and discovered there's a lot to enjoy. What changed? Two things. First, I'm sure my tastes changed a bit as I got older. Second, I learned that there is significant variation in Scotch. Certain varieties have much more of a burn than others.

One milder Scotch you might try is Glenlivet 12 Year. It's far from the only milder Scotch out there, but I suggest it because it's relatively inexpensive and widely available. It's also widely known, so if you try Glenlivet and then tell a bartender or liquor shop manager or simple Scotch aficionado, "Compared to Glenlivet I'm looking for something more ____," they'll generally be able to offer a good suggestion.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I had a similar personal experience with Scotch. I tried a few well-known brands when I was younger and could not stand them. Twelve years later I tried again, with different brands, and discovered there's a lot to enjoy. What changed? Two things. First, I'm sure my tastes changed a bit as I got older. Second, I learned that there is significant variation in Scotch. Certain varieties have much more of a burn than others.

One milder Scotch you might try is Glenlivet 12 Year. It's far from the only milder Scotch out there, but I suggest it because it's relatively inexpensive and widely available. It's also widely known, so if you try Glenlivet and then tell a bartender or liquor shop manager or simple Scotch aficionado, "Compared to Glenlivet I'm looking for something more ____," they'll generally be able to offer a good suggestion.
I was going to recommend the Glenlivet 12 also because it is pretty mild and lite, but I think I would suggest Dalmore 12 instead. Dalmore has deeper and richer flavors, but it I don't find it to be off putting to people newer to single malts.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Larrude
I was going to recommend the Glenlivet 12 also because it is pretty mild and lite, but I think I would suggest Dalmore 12 instead. Dalmore has deeper and richer flavors, but it I don't find it to be off putting to people newer to single malts.
Agreed on the Glenlivet 12, that's my "daily driver" scotch.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Glen Moray "Elgin Classic" single malt.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Dalwhinnie 15 is very smooth and doesn't have much ' burn'
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Grabbed bottle of Macallan 12 for $45 (pre-tax) at Costco while in the Bay Area for the summer (vs. $65 pre-tax in NC) since I'm trying to branch out beyond the Japanese Whiskies that introduced me to the Scotch/Whisky world to start with.

Finally opened it up yesterday. Thought I would like it since I tend to like sherry cask Scotch/Whisky and this fits the bill (and I enjoy both the Yamazaki 18 and Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask quite a bit).

I was pretty disappointed - I got strong sulfur notes that stayed with me throughout the dram and rather ruined it. It was a little better after adding a couple of drops of water but given the universal praise it has received it was a letdown.

Perhaps a second glass down the road will be a little better - until then I'm on the hunt for a new non-peated Scotch/Whisky to try that comes in under $50 (wish I had grabbed a bottle of Glenlivet 12 which was $22 pre-tax at the same Costco in the Bay Area).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Single Malt a week or so ago after trying it in the Amex lounge at SFO. It's definitely peaty, but more on the nose than in the taste (compared to something like Lagavulin). I thought it was nice for someone who likes peat but also for someone who doesn't want to feel like they're drinking liquid smoky dirt for the whole dram, either.

Seems like it ran around $45 in the shop I grabbed it in RDD. I was sorely tempted to pick up a couple Orphan Barrel bourbons I don't have, or a Whistle Pig Boss Hog Rye, but I was trying not to break the bank.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
I definitely prefer Islays, and my fave has always been Bunnahabhain, which tends to be a little sweeter and less heavily peated than the others. The Bunnahabhain 18 has been by go-to for a long time, but I tried their Darach Ur at LHR and quite liked it too. I'm kicking myself for not buying a bottle, since it's not available in the US.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
I tried the Balvenie Doublewood 12. Very good stuff. Adding it to my list.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just cracked open a bottle of Armorik Sherry Finished Breton Single Malt Whiskey.

Pretty tasty - first time I've ever had a French Whiskey/Scotch. It was recommended to me by the visiting Scotch/Whisky expert doing tastings at The Whisky Shop in San Francisco. It was $65 which seems a bit pricey after tasting ($55 seems like a more fair price) but not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.