FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:33 am
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Grabbed bottle of Macallan 12 for $45 (pre-tax) at Costco while in the Bay Area for the summer (vs. $65 pre-tax in NC) since I'm trying to branch out beyond the Japanese Whiskies that introduced me to the Scotch/Whisky world to start with.

Finally opened it up yesterday. Thought I would like it since I tend to like sherry cask Scotch/Whisky and this fits the bill (and I enjoy both the Yamazaki 18 and Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask quite a bit).

I was pretty disappointed - I got strong sulfur notes that stayed with me throughout the dram and rather ruined it. It was a little better after adding a couple of drops of water but given the universal praise it has received it was a letdown.

Perhaps a second glass down the road will be a little better - until then I'm on the hunt for a new non-peated Scotch/Whisky to try that comes in under $50 (wish I had grabbed a bottle of Glenlivet 12 which was $22 pre-tax at the same Costco in the Bay Area).