Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i thought macallan 25 was stronger initially, more complex, and longer lasting
i didnt think it was not scotch like or not like macallan 18 ? but im an amateur

macallan has fine oak, what are some other regular barrel non-peaty ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Have only a done a couple rum distillery tours in the Caribbean. Neither actually toured production facilities, although I did watch a lady labelling and polishing bottles at John Watlings in NAS. I have also attended many tastings at Ole Smoky Moonshine back home in TN.

How were the tours? I actually enjoy industrial tours and quite liked all the brewery tours we have taken. I assume you got a decent sampling from each. Any other high points?
I found the tours pretty interesting. They were each about an hour, and ended with tastings. They explain the distilling process as you go thru the facility, and contrast it with other distillers (who uses triple/double/single distillation; who uses barley, corn, rye, etc).

Bushmills has a restaurant at its facility, so you can have a meal as well. We saw the distilling, but not bottling, process. I guess it's hit or miss as to whether you see bottling. Stranahan's says they produce about 30 barrels a week, so it's a smaller operation. But when they do bottle, they have a lottery system where volunteers are chosen to help. They said they get thousands of entrants, but only need a fraction of that.

Definitely a fun way to spend some vacation time. Next time I'm reading my m'bike in the Smokies I'll have to take a tour of Ole Smokey Moonshine. tls
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by thelostshark

Definitely a fun way to spend some vacation time. Next time I'm reading my m'bike in the Smokies I'll have to take a tour of Ole Smokey Moonshine. tls
At this point I believe there are 2 different distilleries in Gatlinburg and you might pass one worth visiting in Asheville, NC on your way there depending on route - at Highland Brewing.

Just don't make the mistake of trying the tasting at the winery in Gatlinburg. We swore off small state wine producers after we completed the ALabama wine trail about 6 years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Which Ole Smoky distillery would you recommend, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge? tls
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Which Ole Smoky distillery would you recommend, Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge? tls
Pigeon Forge is Gatlinburg without the charm. The only thing to do there is shop the outlet stores, go to country music shows, eat at the buffets and sit in traffic. Unless Dollywood is open. But then that's the only place I would go. The rest of that isn't my thing.

I'm good for an hour walking the Parkway in Gatlinburg, an hour browsing in Nantahala Outdoor Center, then off to the National Park for a walk in the woods. Plus there's 3 different distilleries in Gatlinburg. If you like flavored moonshine, you can get snockered on samples. I'm partial to the apple pie flavor. Least favorite is the lemonade - there's undissolved crystals at the bottom for some reason.

We're 9 hours away but manage to get back a couple times a year, since BamaVol Jr #3 still lives in Morristown. In fact, we are planning a long weekend for mid-July.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:22 pm

3 distilleries in one place!!! Gatlinburg is where I'll be headed. 9 hours is probably what it takes me too, maybe a bit less, assuming I take 81. But I used to go to the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway, which took longer (but was much more enjoyable). I used to do this ride each summer, but got away from it for, oh, 7-8 years I guess. Then last year I had a reunion in Highlands, NC, which reminded me about how beautiful the area is. All the more so with some whiskey in your hand ....

I'd never heard of Ole Smoky until 2013. They had a booth at Sturgis, SD and were giving away free shots. Quite nice! tls
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i didnt think it was not scotch like or not like macallan 18 ? but im an amateur

Try the older Glenfiddichs, especially the 30 (if you can find it) and the new 26 recently released. Even the 21yo is special. My hubby likes the 18yo relative to cost. The 30yo is among my all time faves, but low stocks have made them stop producing it (and instead release the 26yo).

Cragganmore (even 12yo) is another excellent choice similar in profile to Macallan but always cheaper.

I'm not as big a fan of Balvenie, but the Balvenie 21yo Portwood is another of my all-time faves.

Highland Park 18yo or older, Aberfeldy and Aberlour 21yo also are wonderful. Dalmore 21yo is as well especially if you like a hint of smoke.

Longmorn 15yo and Springbank 15yo are good ones, too, if you can find them.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:10 pm

what is Private Reserve ?
Private Preserve is a can of gas. Keeps the oxygen away.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:17 pm

GlenDronach 15 and Glenfarclas 15 (or 17) are some of the best non-peated sherry bombs, if that's what you're after. Possibly the best standard expressions of their kind on the market.

ETA: The Glenfarclas 40 is an older expression that is outstanding. Usually 40 year old whisky is grossly over rated, and not worth your time or money. This is worth seeking out.

Last edited by NYCRuss; Jun 6, 2015 at 8:39 pm Reason: Glenfarclas 40
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the replies!
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
GlenDronach 15 and Glenfarclas 15 (or 17) are some of the best non-peated sherry bombs, if that's what you're after. Possibly the best standard expressions of their kind on the market.
I forgot to mention Glenfarclas 15-17-21, and I agree completely!

ETA: The Glenfarclas 40 is an older expression that is outstanding. Usually 40 year old whisky is grossly over rated, and not worth your time or money. This is worth seeking out.
The 40yo version sold at the distillery is the least expensive expression of this, and it is fantastic. But you don't need to break the bank to buy super expensive whiskies like this to get a great dram. Trust me--I know. I collect and have tons of collectible whiskies, but I usually drink the younger (and more often now than not, peatier) expressions.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
what is Private Reserve ?
It's argon gas that comes in a spray can. I haven't tried it on my Scotch collection but I've been using it with wines for years since I often only drink 1/2 bottle at a time. The argon displaces oxygen in the wine bottle to slow oxidation. Wine stores sell it for about $10/can.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for wine there is now coravin. interesting little discussion on FT.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
for wine there is now coravin. interesting little discussion on FT.
Very cool product. But certainly more sensible for $$$ bottles considering it costs a few dollars every time you use it.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Very cool product. But certainly more sensible for $$$ bottles considering it costs a few dollars every time you use it.
being used for very expensive wine at quality restaurants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.