Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by TWA884
Pretty good article in Gentleman's Gazette:
I was with him until he suggested initially swirling the whisky around the glass and then pouring it away!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the dalmore brand guy is/was very entertaining, saw videos of him doing tastings
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had some Glenmorangie 18-yo last week.

It was fine, but no single characteristic that made me want to have more of it. I'll stick with Highland Park for my regular quaff.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting piece in today's WSJ on "no-age" single malts (paywall site):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/6-no-age...ver-1429901298

IN SCOTCH AISLES across the country, a reformation is quietly under way. Among the stolid contingent of age-emblazoned single-malts—the Glenlivet 12, the Macallan 15, Talisker 18—a mysterious new crowd is creeping in, and their labels are defiantly numeral-free...

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 24, 2015 at 7:45 pm Reason: Removed wholesale copy-and-paste of copyrighted material per FT Rules
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Boraxo, thank you for the link to the article. Interesting reading, although I was not in agreement with all of it.

Much easier to remember that I like the 16 year Lagavullin and the 10 year Laphroaig than having to memorize some silly new names
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

IN SCOTCH AISLES across the country, a reformation is quietly under way. Among the stolid contingent of age-emblazoned single-malts—the Glenlivet 12, the Macallan 15, Talisker 18—a mysterious new crowd is creeping in, and their labels are defiantly numeral-free...
I wonder if anyone here has tried the Macallan 1824 Series? I am curious how it compares to Macallan 12. I imagine I'll find it in duty free shops next time I travel overseas in September?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by zitsky
I wonder if anyone here has tried the Macallan 1824 Series? I am curious how it compares to Macallan 12. I imagine I'll find it in duty free shops next time I travel overseas in September?
yes, I picked up a bottle of the Oak Select on a cruise ship in the Med last summer (Celebrity Eclipse). It was a good price but it's not one of my favourites
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
yes, I picked up a bottle of the Oak Select on a cruise ship in the Med last summer (Celebrity Eclipse). It was a good price but it's not one of my favourites
More, please! What scotch do you normally drink? How much did you pay for it? Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
More, please! What scotch do you normally drink? How much did you pay for it? Thanks.
I never pay a lot of money but would prefer to pay a bit more and drink at home with friends than pay stupid money when out.

Islay Malts, Talisker are my favourites. Anything from supermarket own brand up to a Port Ellen that my wife brought for me a few years ago for about £90 and would now retail at significantly more! Usually £25-£45 a bottle can get you excellent stuff.

But also content with cheaper stuff like Chivas Regal, Famous Grouse when the mood takes me.

Just wasn't bowled over by The 1824 and wouldn't buy it again.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Simply put, it's a way to charge more for younger whiskey. Time will tell how successful they are. Personally, I won't be purchasing a Talisker Storm any time soon, particularly when it's more expensive and not as good as the standard 10 yo.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Simply put, it's a way to charge more for younger whiskey. Time will tell how successful they are. Personally, I won't be purchasing a Talisker Storm any time soon, particularly when it's more expensive and not as good as the standard 10 yo.
Talisker Storm is actually very good IMO, much closer to a peaty Islay Malt than regular Talisker
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simply put, it's a way to charge more for younger whiskey.
and already charging a lot more for older whiskey
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Talisker Storm is actually very good IMO, much closer to a peaty Islay Malt than regular Talisker
Interesting...I had read quite a few not so great reviews. Had heard decent things about Dark Storm. But again, it's only through the power of marketing that they can get away with charging more for these NAS bottlings.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and already charging a lot more for older whiskey
Prices are skyrocketing. In some cases we're talking a 100% increase in as little as two years.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Interesting...I had read quite a few not so great reviews. Had heard decent things about Dark Storm. But again, it's only through the power of marketing that they can get away with charging more for these NAS bottlings.
One of my source of review is this thread. I know the posters here who has similar palate as me regarding the "Islay" factor and I would pay more attention to their recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.