Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Since folks are lumping Japanese whiskys into this thread, I'll share: At Crane & Turtle in DC the other night, as I walked in, I noticed a bottle of Karuizawa Asama on the shelf. Having read this piece in Departures about the Karuizawa whiskys, I definitely wanted to try it--and they had exactly one dram left. I know the Asama is their "low-end" whisky, but hey, we're talking a label that hasn't been produced since 2001, so finding anything to try from them is interesting, particularly when offered for a couple of dollars less than a couple of French whiskys they had on the menu.

It was definitely good, with a strong blend of flavors--a little light on the Scotch-like notes I'm used to from other Japanese whisky, and perhaps a bit oxidized (hey, it was the last dram), but I'm glad to have tried it. And I ended up with the bottle as a souvenir.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I also just returned from Japan, and while in Tokyo I tried Hakushu 12, which I found for about 3500 yen (about $27 at 118 yen/$, which is the exchange rate I got while I was there) for a 700 ml bottle. Really liked it and brought some home as well -- good, drinkable stuff at a reasonable price.

Update: The day after I posted this I was at my liquor store (a large chain with generally good prices) and they had the Hakushu 12 for $63 for a 750 ml bottle -- so buy it in Japan and pay in yen if you can!
I picked up one of the Nikka Pure Malt 17s (don't recall which off the top of my head--I think it was the Taketsuru) at NRT a few weeks back for 3500 yen; I have subsequently seen it at several liquor stores in the US for anywhere from $95 to $140. I am quite pleased with that pickup.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
departures also had a good article on bars in tokyo (incl scotch)

french! wild.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Japanese whiskey's seem to be gaining popularity. At the NRT terminal last week, Hibiki and Yamazaki were all sold out. Went to my local BevMo (SF area) over the weekend, and no stock to be found.

My Costco has had some of both available at times during the past year, and I've stocked up on them at those times.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Just a note for those looking to pick up Suntory whiskey (Hibiki 12/17/21/30, Yamazaki 12/18/25, Hakushu 12/17/21) at duty free stores in Japanese airports, it looks like sales of the regular products will stop at the end of March, and will be replaced by "JAPAN TRAVEL RETAIL limited edition" products. Probably the same product in more decorative (i.e. more expensive) packaging...

Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by KIXman
Just a note for those looking to pick up Suntory whiskey (Hibiki 12/17/21/30, Yamazaki 12/18/25, Hakushu 12/17/21) at duty free stores in Japanese airports, it looks like sales of the regular products will stop at the end of March, and will be replaced by "JAPAN TRAVEL RETAIL limited edition" products. Probably the same product in more decorative (i.e. more expensive) packaging...
That does not surprise me as most of the major Scottish brands are already selling more decorative limited edition products all over DFSs in Asia.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i remember mortons club in london had japanese whiskey in 2006, and i thought that was interesting
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: IC RA
Regarding Japanese whisky here is my search for Karuizawa whisky in the UK. I have also posted this on Scotch Malt Whisky forum.

I have a few bottles of Karuizawa and with them being so scarce and the price on the secondary market sometimes running into the £1000's I decided to use the internet to browse whisky menus from bars across the UK in the hope of snagging a bottle for the collection.

Although a few menu's did show that some bars did stock Karuizawa when the bar was contacted they did not have any it is stock, that is until I contacted a bar/restaurant in the City of London. They advertised they have a range of Japanese whisky including many bottles of Karuizawa.

I contacted them and asked if they had any full bottles, the reply was yes I then asked if I could buy the whole bottle as I collect it, the answer came back, no we don't sell full bottles.

Now knowing they had a full bottle in stock and the fact I would be in London that weekend I could not at least give the bar/restaurant a visit and try and talk them round.

Oh by the way the bottle in question was from the Noh range cask #8529 boubon cask and the price was £40 for a 50ml shot this = £560 + 12.5% service charge = £630 for the bottle.

Around 1pm on the Saturday with the wife and daughter hitting the shops I made my way to the bar restaurant and asked to speak to the manager, the manager came over and said he was the deputy he said the manager was in Germany so I told him my story and he said he will have to contact him.

I thought at this point he would just pretend to make the call and say well we cannot sell you the whole bottle. Anyway after he had a long conversation with his boss he said he will sell in as long as I paid cash, I only had £300 in cash so I was like Usain Bolt to the cash machine for the balance.

The guy checked every note and after what seemed an eternity I left with my liquid gold and put it straight into the hotel safe, my daughter saw the bottle and said it scares her (check it out you will see what she means)

A bottle of this now regularly sells for £1800 - £1900 at auction.

I was also fortunate to get a bottle of the new Karuizawa just released in the last few weeks.

I have left the name of bar out but have no problem supplying it but a quick search will come up with it very quickly.

Has anybody else got any stories of how they came to buy a dream bottle.

Cheers
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by torcross
£630 for the bottle.

A bottle of this now regularly sells for £1800 - £1900 at auction
nice! when did you buy bottle?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KIXman

That's a bummer though makes sense given my experience at the HND duty free a couple weeks ago.

They were sold out of the 17 at the 8000Yen price point in the regular bottle and only had the limited edition (which looked virtually like the first bottle on the left of the travel edition picture) and was selling at 11000Yen. Still a good deal compared to US but not as good (and none of the major department stores or Yamaya had Hibiki 17 so duty free was the only option) and I would guess will be the new price point for the 17 at the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nice! when did you buy bottle?

believe it or not only in December.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:08 pm

Agreed on the Yamazaki 12! But NRT was sold out last week, like previous posts mention. Had to settle for the "regular" Yamazaki which was 3000yen ($24 with the yen rate, score!) Still pretty good, but obviously not nearly as good as the 12.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think it was Yamazaki 12 that mortons club london had in 2006

Originally Posted by torcross
believe it or not only in December.
they didnt know what they had
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
french! wild.
Yeah; I'm intrigued. I had seen Bastille in a few shops in the US, but have never tried it. The two that Crane & Turtle have on their menu:

Michel Couvreur Overaged Malt Whisky, Burgundy, France $15
Michel Couvreur Special Vatting Malt Whiskey, Burgundy, France $25
They also have (had?) two Kavalans, but with the sudden attention for King Car's product... I dunno.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://craneandturtledc.com/menu.pdf

super "hip" ?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
I've never been the biggest whisky drinker, but since moving here I've began to wean myself onto it...I feel like I have to

Oban's single malt is one of the few that I like. I'm currently in Aviemore after a ski day at Cairngorm waiting for my train and am having a drink at the bar and was recommended the Tomatin single malt (When I travel around Scotland I always ask for a local Scotch). I must say that it has gone down a treat and I shall be looking for a bottle of it back in Glasgow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.