Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So where do Irish whiskeys fall on the scale? They add the "e" like Americans, but seem to be more Scotch-like (sans the peat in most cases). In any case, I'm enjoying a dram of Green Spot this evening, and keep hoping to make a trip later this year to pick up some of the Yellow Spot (not widely available in the US).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by exerda
So where do Irish whiskeys fall on the scale? They add the "e" like Americans, but seem to be more Scotch-like (sans the peat in most cases). In any case, I'm enjoying a dram of Green Spot this evening, and keep hoping to make a trip later this year to pick up some of the Yellow Spot (not widely available in the US).
I can't stand Irish whiskey, maybe because I've only had the cheap stuff.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm with zitsky. I have an open bottle of "The Irishman" in the cabinet that's probably 10 years old. No one ever wants a second glass. I've had the other 2 big boys; Bushmill's and Jameson and found them undrinkable. I hear about this Green Spot but never see it even in the mega-liquor-markets. What gives?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I can drink Irish whiskey, but for the most part it is too smooth, likely a result of the triple distillation method they use (only one or two scotch whiskies are tripled distilled) rather than the double distillation.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Talisker Storm is actually very good IMO, much closer to a peaty Islay Malt than regular Talisker
I agree -- I recently did a side-by-side with Storm and regular Talisker 10, and was surprised how much I preferred the Storm. For me it is well worth the additional $10.

Irish whiskey (and blended Canadian) are what I'll order when I'm out and want something neat, reasonably priced, and modest ABV. But at home when I can focus on the dram, I find both to be one-dimensional and ultimately just not interesting enough to warrant more than one pour. Smooth and drinkable, but not exciting.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zitsky
Cheap Scottish stuff isn't that great either although VAT69 isn't too bad for the price.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm with zitsky. I have an open bottle of "The Irishman" in the cabinet that's probably 10 years old. No one ever wants a second glass. I've had the other 2 big boys; Bushmill's and Jameson and found them undrinkable. I hear about this Green Spot but never see it even in the mega-liquor-markets. What gives?
Try the Jameson 18, Bushmills 16, Tyrconnell Port Finish, Readbreast 15 or 21, or Midletons if you're flush. Teelings Small Batch is great and easier to find than Green Spot. Kilbeggan is the only 6 year old I can gag down. Never heard of the "Irishman". You could get rid of it in Irish Coffees I suppose if you haven't dumped it already.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Try the Jameson 18, Bushmills 16, Tyrconnell Port Finish, Readbreast 15 or 21, or Midletons if you're flush. Teelings Small Batch is great and easier to find than Green Spot. Kilbeggan is the only 6 year old I can gag down. Never heard of the "Irishman". You could get rid of it in Irish Coffees I suppose if you haven't dumped it already.
Printing this out for my next trip to the Mega-packy, probably Saturday. As I recall, the selection of Irish whiskies, even there, is slim. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. I never throw liquor out. Beer, yes, but not liquor. I have a son in law who will drink any brown liquor available. I just need to hide the good stuff and put this on top of the cabinet. If he won't finish it, no one will.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

recently saw macallan gold at an upscale restaurant

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Had heard decent things about Dark Storm.
recently saw duty free delivery to plane - one of the items was dark storm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Prices are skyrocketing. In some cases we're talking a 100% increase in as little as two years.
macallan was a lot more than that i think?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2015 at 11:04 am
Old May 14, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: IC RA
Hanyu Roka/Zuma

Managed to purchase a couple of bottles of Hanyu Roka/Zuma 14 year old that has been exclusively bottled for the Japanese restaurants in London, not sure if it is available in their branches outside the UK. It cost me £360 per bottle which sounds a lot for a 14 year old but as Hanyu is no more I think it is a great investment, as well as having one to drink.

Here are some details

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/20...roka-and-zuma/

BTW, I found the out turn was only 244 bottles.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Anybody tried Ardbeg Supernova? Any good?
Old May 14, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought another bottle of Oban last night. Had cycled through a couple other malts (Balvenie Caribbean Cask and Aberfeldy) and I really just like Oban the best.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Oban is one of my favorite go-to bottles.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice torcross

any other investors?
Old May 19, 2015, 3:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I would say the most accessible malts for the beginner are:

Auchentoshan
Highland Park

Both 12yo are ample

From the polar opposite of each other geographically but very smooth.

In fact I'm off for one now....
Crikey - there's a co-incidence.

My local supermarket has a 'to clear' shelf in the wine section, which normally has crappy wine at 50% off. However, last night I noticed that it had Auchentoshan and Highland Park 12yos at 50% off, so around $18 and $26 respectively.

I'm not quite a beginner, I like the island/peaty malts, normally Caol Ila, Talisker, Bowmore, so I grabbed a bottle of HP as I understand that it's along those lines, although maybe a bit sweeter.

Should I stock up? And should I get a few Auchentoshan as well? What do people think of them?

[and I'm off mid-week drinking, so can't taste the HP until the weekend ]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.