Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I've developed a bad habit of buying the stuff faster than I drink it. Almost at 40 bottles of whisky.
I have the same problem, though not as severe as yours. I've limited myself to about a dozen brands of whiskey, though I also have 4 kinds of tequila, 3 of vodka (I've cut down), etc. I call it my drinking problem: I buy it faster than I drink it.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't tried it yet. My whisky shelf is full, and has annexed my kitchen table. I may have to run out soon and get a bottle.

What about the Dark Origins do you like?
Remember the old children's book hero Homer Brown, who had stuff he called "ever-so-much-more-so" that made every food taste more than it would without using it? That's a little bit like Dark Origins. It's a lot like the HP 12-yo, only more smoke, more peat, more tartness, and more sweetness.

Just overall a more flavorful spirit, yet with the same general flavor and aroma profile.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was at the Austin Mega DO last weekend and I was very fortunate that someone brought this to an event:

I was even MORE fortunate that he sold me a glass for just $5! It was really good, so long as you like peat of course.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I've developed a bad habit of buying the stuff faster than I drink it. Almost at 40 bottles of whisky.
Yeah, I have the same problem. I guess that's a better issue to have than drinking too much whisky! That said, maybe I need to find a NYC whisky club...with extra bottles it would be nice to have some others to share it with, and try new stuff too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was at the Austin Mega DO last weekend and I was very fortunate that someone brought this to an event:

I was even MORE fortunate that he sold me a glass for just $5! It was really good, so long as you like peat of course.
someone brought a bottle to an event and then sold glasses to people?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thelark
someone brought a bottle to an event and then sold glasses to people?
I saw the bottle and I made the offer, both parties were happy so there's no reason for the eye rolling.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I saw the bottle and I made the offer, both parties were happy so there's no reason for the eye rolling.
Yes there is. If you bring a bottle somewhere it's to share. If you don't intend to share, then you don't bring it. Simple. You were polite in offering and the other party should have graciously declined.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:58 pm

I'll admit I also rolled my eyes when I read that, I hope it was a healthy dram and not as tiny as it looks in the pic.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

Yes there is. If you bring a bottle somewhere it's to share. If you don't intend to share, then you don't bring it. Simple. You were polite in offering and the other party should have graciously declined.
Reminds me of a time a few years back when I was in grad school. I took a bottle of good Scotch to share. I think it was Talisker or Jura, can't remember which. One of my classmates thought it was cheap booze and started drinking from the bottle. I stopped him but I learned my lesson about sharing good Scotch with people who don't know better. I hosted a house party later with a different classmate who knew his Scotch. You can bet that I brought out all the good stuff for him.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
One of my classmates thought it was cheap booze and started drinking from the bottle. I stopped him but I learned my lesson about sharing good Scotch with people who don't know better.
yikes!

ill bet i could have heard some amusing stories at a law firm that did regular scotch tastings, but i never would have thought about it
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't think that rules and politeness are as universal as you believe, particularly when it comes to the consumption of alcohol.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Generally, you're probably right. However, it was a BYOB event. Most people brought beer bought at a local liquor store right before the event (some craft, some not). A few brought bottles of wine. There were 80 people there. Would you really have happily given yours away in that situation? If so, please definitely come to the next Austin Mega Do and I will be the first to welcome you!

(Also, the OP saw the bottle of Laphroaig and proactively asked the owner if he would sell him a glass for $5. The owner of the scotch was not advertising drams for sale as a profit opportunity or anything. And as the beneficiary of the OP's--who generously shared sips with several of us--action, I thoroughly appreciated the exchange and greatly enjoyed my first taste of that particular scotch. I thought it was a great deal.)

Last edited by jackal; Mar 20, 2015 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would agree it might depend on context

but there are also probably good and bad ways of handling, whether youre sharing or not, which im not sure of
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bringing us back to the topic of scotch recommendations, I picked up a bottle of the new "The Nikka12yo" while over in Japan.

Tried it for the first time last night - it was solid but it didn't impress me the way other Japanese Whisky has at this price point (it was 4600Yen which put it in line with the Nikka Taketsuru 17 at Yamaya but the store clerk recommended the Nikka12yo). I tried the Nikka 10 Yoichi while up in Sapporo (just a glass) and preferred that to the 12yo.

It wasn't bad by any means and perhaps the bottle will grow on me but when I go back to Japan I won't use valuable luggage space on getting a new bottle of this and it won't be my first choice from my shelf if looking for a Japanese Whisky at this price point (prefer the Yamazaki 12)

Last edited by Duke787; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Bringing us back to the topic of scotch recommendations, I picked up a bottle of the new "The Nikka12yo" while over in Japan.

Tried it for the first time last night - it was solid but it didn't impress me the way other Japanese Whisky has at this price point (it was 4600Yen which put it in line with the Nikka Taketsuru 17 at Yamaya but the store clerk recommended the Nikka12yo). I tried the Nikka 10 Yoichi while up in Sapporo (just a glass) and preferred that to the 12yo.

It wasn't bad by any means and perhaps the bottle will grow on me but when I go back to Japan I won't use valuable luggage space on getting a new bottle of this and it won't be my first choice from my shelf if looking for a Japanese Whisky at this price point (prefer the Yamazaki 12)
I also just returned from Japan, and while in Tokyo I tried Hakushu 12, which I found for about 3500 yen (about $27 at 118 yen/$, which is the exchange rate I got while I was there) for a 700 ml bottle. Really liked it and brought some home as well -- good, drinkable stuff at a reasonable price.

Update: The day after I posted this I was at my liquor store (a large chain with generally good prices) and they had the Hakushu 12 for $63 for a 750 ml bottle -- so buy it in Japan and pay in yen if you can!

Last edited by KevinDTW; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:32 pm Reason: Added info on Hakushu price in US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.