Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old May 22, 20, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
My parents' line was always "This is not a restaurant. You don't have to eat it if you don't want it but I'm not making anything else." But I was never a picky eater and I don't think I ever turned up my nose at things in the end. The above line was mostly directed at my sister, who only ever wanted mac and cheese.
Some of us had enlightened parents even in the 50s, 60s and 70s. That was pretty much what I heard. My mother went one step further, however, and made me a hamburger when they had liver and onions. The only thing that was expected was that I, at least, try everything. I didn't have to eat it if I didn't like it. I think it probably helped that my mother was a great cook and I pretty much liked everything else she made (except for some vegetables, all of which I now like) and I was always complimentary of her cooking, even as a kid.
Old May 22, 20, 10:06 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ooh, or I could get salad and potatoes and grill some burgers with the ground beef or bison in the freezer.
how long do you need to thaw the frozen meat before grilling? I thought it was one full day (24 hours) by putting the frozen meat into the fridge.

your guidance is appreciated - I learn so much!
Old May 22, 20, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
how long do you need to thaw the frozen meat before grilling? I thought it was one full day (24 hours) by putting the frozen meat into the fridge.

your guidance is appreciated - I learn so much!
depends on the size of the package....it will often thaw in about 12. But you are correct...no matter what anyone says, the safest way to defrost is in the fridge . Never on the counter.
Old May 22, 20, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I either leave it out on the counter for a couple hours or just microwave it at half power until thawed (though the microwave seems to always cook the edges no matter how careful I think I'm being).
Old May 22, 20, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by corky View Post
depends on the size of the package....it will often thaw in about 12. But you are correct...no matter what anyone says, the safest way to defrost is in the fridge . Never on the counter.
I either leave it out on the counter for a couple hours or just microwave it at half power until thawed (though the microwave seems to always cook the edges no matter how careful I think I'm being).
thanks you two. Fun contrasts but itís ok :-)

my child requested cheeseburgers on roll-ppang and I will probably do oven fries again although I need to add parchment paper because itís hard to fully get food remnants off the baking pan! I had that problem with the quiche and parchment paper would have been logical. I had already used parchment paper with baking banana bread so very sad that I didnít use that knowledge for other baking. Sad!!!!
Old May 22, 20, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is dangerous. I am sure you will say you have been doing it for years but you should know there is a risk. And I would not do it especially if serving anyone with any type of compromised immune system.

we have a Saturday cooking class - my child already has a very busy schedule with distance learning and video play dates during the week. During the summer Iíll teach the art of quesadillas and toasting Bays. Maybe even the art of making French toast, which might be Friday brekky :-)
Surely your kid knows how to toast an English muffin.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 24, 20 at 3:59 pm Reason: merge
Old May 22, 20, 4:50 pm

Surely your kid knows how to toast an English muffin.
itís hard because the toaster plug is far for reaching.
Old May 22, 20, 9:12 pm

Takeout:

Mushroom, bacon & goat cheese soup

Pan roasted & porcini dusted chicken breast with spinach, mushroom & cauliflower risotto
Old May 22, 20, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very late dinner .
I made pizza on the grill...it was too big! And absolutely delicious .
roasted tomatoes with garlic,bacon , Italian sausage , pineapple, basil , goat cheese, pepperoncini. Super crispy crust.

Old May 23, 20, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
As it's a special day, today we'll have grilled lobster tails, lamb roast with potato gratin and steamed veggies + tomato/garlic/red onion/ginger salad, mango parfait with flans
corky likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I just want to know why a child is dictating their menu. I believe as a child, I was told more than once, "This is what is for dinner. Eat it or starve."
I was brought up that I had to eat everything that was served, even if I didn't like it. The worst for me was Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower. I loved Liver as it was a different taste for meat. I wouldn't be able to leave the table until I finished my dinner. I was the same with my son until he became a teenager and was taught to cook, then my wife and I would come home from work on certain days and dinner was ready for us. Of course, since he cooked, it was always something he liked.

BTW, I find the Ore-Ida French Fries and the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese commercials so appalling. You should not have to give in or bribe your kids to eat what's healthy. If they don't want to eat the food you cooked for them than they should be sent to their room with all forms of entertainment taken from them.
Old May 23, 20, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is dangerous. I am sure you will say you have been doing it for years but you should know there is a risk. And I would not do it especially if serving anyone with any type of compromised immune system.
I have been doing it for years and I'm aware there is a theoretical risk but it's never been an issue for me. I wouldn't do it in a commercial kitchen for that reason, but neither do I work in a restaurant. Saying it's dangerous implies a high level of concern. That may be the case for some; I am minimally concerned for my own sake in this regard. As Mr. Gfunk says, you do you.

I do ensure that I don't leave it out after it's mostly thawed, unless I'm cooking it right away. Like one of my NOLS instructors once said after eating something he'd dropped on the ground, "if it were that easy, we'd all be dead by now".

Also, when I do put something frozen in the fridge to thaw, it takes 2-3 days. I can't plan that far ahead.
Old May 23, 20, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have a Saturday cooking class - my child already has a very busy schedule with distance learning and video play dates during the week. During the summer Iíll teach the art of quesadillas and toasting Bays. Maybe even the art of making French toast, which might be Friday brekky :-)
My 7 year old has been fully qualified on the use of the toaster for 2+ years. She can also run her own loads of laundry, too.
cblaisd likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
My 7 year old has been fully qualified on the use of the toaster for 2+ years. She can also run her own loads of laundry, too.
very impressive! Proud parents unite :-)

last nightís supper was simpler -
cheeseburger sliders (roll-ppang) and oven fries
roasted cauliflower, with a future request for Stephanie Izardís cauliflower
tortilla chips & avocado salsa
organic cherries
haagen daaz (chocolate) for our childís dessert.

white popcorn - the bobís red mill white popcorn that one of the Jens suggested. The kernels are definitely larger than the Safeway Organic model and the popcorn color is super white. Iím sure it tasted good and I didnít have any.
Old May 23, 20, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very impressive! Proud parents unite :-)

last nightís supper was simpler -
cheeseburger sliders (roll-ppang) and oven fries
roasted cauliflower, with a future request for Stephanie Izardís cauliflower
tortilla chips & avocado salsa
organic cherries
haagen daaz (chocolate) for our childís dessert.

white popcorn - the bobís red mill white popcorn that one of the Jens suggested. The kernels are definitely larger than the Safeway Organic model and the popcorn color is super white. Iím sure it tasted good and I didnít have any.
So you all three had the same thing for dinner? Yay!
Just curious..does your kid eat anything beyond cheeseburgers or is this just a phase?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: