Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Taco tuesday
Grilled short rib tacos on homemade flour tortillas with pickled red onions, grilled yellow onions, cilantro and lime.
Grilled pineapple
ditto
I love leftovers
Old May 21, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
The food trucks are back. They park by the clubhouse which is a 1 minute ride from the house in the golf cart. I will pick up the scallop dinner and the fried clam dinner, both come with fries and slaw, and have them still hot when I get home. Then we split them and wash it all down with Abita Purple Haze.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Grill. I’m not allowed to cook fish indoors. Fortunately the grill is under cover so I can grill in any weather with no inconvenience. And the salmon comes that way from Publix, although I’m pretty sure I could duplicate it.
Green Chef has taught me how to do glazes. Maple salmon glaze is as easy as pouring a little maple syrup on the filets before they go on the grill/in oven.

The food trucks are back. They park by the clubhouse which is a 1 minute ride from the house in the golf cart. I will pick up the scallop dinner and the fried clam dinner, both come with fries and slaw, and have them still hot when I get home. Then we split them and wash it all down with Abita Purple Haze.
Are you in the Villages? Mr Gfunk is set on renting a house there next winter if we are still working from home. I told him we are much too young to be living there even for a month, but he just wants to play shuffleboard and go everywhere in a golf cart.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Green Chef has taught me how to do glazes. Maple salmon glaze is as easy as pouring a little maple syrup on the filets before they go on the grill/in oven.

Are you in the Villages? Mr Gfunk is set on renting a house there next winter if we are still working from home. I told him we are much too young to be living there even for a month, but he just wants to play shuffleboard and go everywhere in a golf cart.
I am in Leesburg. We are 10 miles south of The Villages but they get closer every day. If Mr GFunk prevails, give me a shout, and we can get together. I don’t know if I could handle a whole month in The Villages but have spent a week there and had fun. It takes some getting used to.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
ditto
I love leftovers
i still have carnitas leftovers but sadly not for luncheon today. Maybe supper??

Grill. I’m not allowed to cook fish indoors. Fortunately the grill is under cover so I can grill in any weather with no inconvenience. And the salmon comes that way from Publix, although I’m pretty sure I could duplicate it.
how about poaching salmon over stovetop? That’s what I do... well, since last week. I never poached before last week.

last night’s supper - cheeseburger sliders on roll-ppang, leftover poached salmon, Yukon gold oven-baked fries, and grilled corn on the cob.

Maybe tonight - crab cakes (spouse), oven-baked russet fries, raw carrots, roasted cauliflower, leftover carnitas (me), cheeseburger sliders (our child). I’m out of plain roll-ppang so the sliders would have to be served on bays English muffins, White pita, or sourdough baguette (extremely unlikely - it’s so brutally hard). Or French toast for our child.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
i still have carnitas leftovers but sadly not for luncheon today. Maybe supper??

how about poaching salmon over stovetop? That’s what I do... well, since last week. I never poached before last week.
I’ve done that and was quite happy with the result. It’s certainly a healthy way to prepare fish. But Mrs.BV doesn’t like me to smell the house up with strong cooking odors. I catch hell over cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, fish, fried foods, anything where the smell lingers past the meal.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

last night’s supper - cheeseburger sliders on roll-ppang, leftover poached salmon, Yukon gold oven-baked fries, and grilled corn on the cob.

Maybe tonight - crab cakes (spouse), oven-baked russet fries, raw carrots, roasted cauliflower, leftover carnitas (me), cheeseburger sliders (our child). I’m out of plain roll-ppang so the sliders would have to be served on bays English muffins, White pita, or sourdough baguette (extremely unlikely - it’s so brutally hard). Or French toast for our child.
Well he was doing a maple glazed salmon so unless he made a separate sauce, poaching isn't going to work.
I am guessing that your son won't eat anything except cheeseburgers but why do you and your wife always eat different things? Do the 3 of you ever all eat the same dinner?

I am trying that Girl and Goat cauliflower recipe tonight except I don't have any pine nuts...mostly everything else I am doing though.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Well he was doing a maple glazed salmon so unless he made a separate sauce, poaching isn't going to work.
I am guessing that your son won't eat anything except cheeseburgers but why do you and your wife always eat different things? Do the 3 of you ever all eat the same dinner?

I am trying that Girl and Goat cauliflower recipe tonight except I don't have any pine nuts...mostly everything else I am doing though.
I just want to know why a child is dictating their menu. I believe as a child, I was told more than once, "This is what is for dinner. Eat it or starve."
cblaisd likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I just want to know why a child is dictating their menu. I believe as a child, I was told more than once, "This is what is for dinner. Eat it or starve."
oh i starved many times.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
That was the rule at my house growing up. Nobody EVER asked the kids what they wanted for dinner, except sometimes on their birthday.
oh i starved many times.
I was pretty open minded. Very few times I couldn't find something on the table to eat.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we usually eat pizza or turkey tacos together - sometimes cheeseburger sliders. I got the crab cakes for my spouse - I wasn’t interested in them myself. I’m more interested in some cookies for dessert. Just bakery cookies.

my child isn’t dictating their supper but rather has expressed their interest. French toast tonight. We’re in a pandemic and I have time to cook. We all get to enjoy nice lives.

Originally Posted by braslvr
That was the rule at my house growing up. Nobody EVER asked the kids what they wanted for dinner, except sometimes on their birthday.

I was pretty open minded. Very few times I couldn't find something on the table to eat.
thankfully we get to express ourselves. Our child’s school already dictates the luncheon. I’m happy to allow choices. Obviously I had more limited choices as a child so it’s nice that we all get to enjoy more nice things now. Big trade offs because my childhood home was larger than where I now live. Total slumming here...
Old May 21, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we usually eat pizza or turkey tacos together - sometimes cheeseburger sliders. I got the crab cakes for my spouse - I wasn’t interested in them myself. I’m more interested in some cookies for dessert. Just bakery cookies.

my child isn’t dictating their supper but rather has expressed their interest. French toast tonight. We’re in a pandemic and I have time to cook. We all get to enjoy nice lives.

thankfully we get to express ourselves. Our child’s school already dictates the luncheon. I’m happy to allow choices. Obviously I had more limited choices as a child so it’s nice that we all get to enjoy more nice things now. Big trade offs because my childhood home was larger than where I now live. Total slumming here...
lol...slumming .
gaobest...i know that you are doing more cooking these days...do you ever try to teach your son to do some cooking along with you?
Old May 22, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol...slumming .
gaobest...i know that you are doing more cooking these days...do you ever try to teach your son to do some cooking along with you?
we have a Saturday cooking class - my child already has a very busy schedule with distance learning and video play dates during the week. During the summer I’ll teach the art of quesadillas and toasting Bays. Maybe even the art of making French toast, which might be Friday brekky :-)
Old May 22, 2020, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tonight it will be smoked haddock and spinach risotto, with a bottle of R de Rieussec Bordeaux blanc sec.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My parents' line was always "This is not a restaurant. You don't have to eat it if you don't want it but I'm not making anything else." But I was never a picky eater and I don't think I ever turned up my nose at things in the end. The above line was mostly directed at my sister, who only ever wanted mac and cheese.

Not sure what we'll do tonight. Mr Gfunk will probably want take out.

Ooh, or I could get salad and potatoes and grill some burgers with the ground beef or bison in the freezer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.