Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Adelphos
A lot of detail in the FAQ as well. May merit a new thread, or at least thread title
I created a new thread
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Just out of curiosity how many people are actually using the lounge on arrival with no connection and getting to the airport more than 3 hours early to go to the lounge because I've never done that and I don't know anyone who does those things. Would think that this new change is affecting a very small amount of people but I might be wrong. I appreciate the intent here which is to reduce overcrowding but at the same time we need to stop beating around the bush and make changes around the bigger problems causing this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Just out of curiosity how many people are actually using the lounge on arrival with no connection and getting to the airport more than 3 hours early to go to the lounge because I've never done that and I don't know anyone who does those things. Would think that this new change is affecting a very small amount of people but I might be wrong. I appreciate the intent here which is to reduce overcrowding but at the same time we need to stop beating around the bush and make changes around the bigger problems causing this.
I frequently have gotten to the SC more than 3 hours before departure (especially when work wraps up early and I just want to relax/there's no earlier departure to try and get on). My girlfriend will often sit in the ORD SC on arrival while waiting for a bus back to MKE since they only leave ORD every 1-2 hours, so that was convenient if she wasn't going to make it. Oh well haha we're probably the minority
Old May 4, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I do once in a while.

I fly a lot with friends who live in other cities and if their flight is before mine rather than hang out in the city if their flight is before mine, I'll head to the airport with them and just work in the skyclub. There's also been times when it looks very promising I'll clear the standby list on a flight more than three hours before mine and then something happens that I don't make it (I wish Delta would allow access in those cases).

As far as accessing the club on landing, it is going to be a big deal after a redeye. A lot of times I like to shower and grab something to eat after landing. If Delta is no longer going to allow access on landing after a redeye it would be nice if they provided a prearrival breakfast in first.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
There's also been times when it looks very promising I'll clear the standby list on a flight more than three hours before mine and then something happens that I don't make it (I wish Delta would allow access in those cases).
From their FAQ it looks like this might be allowed.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
This is basically what the email I received from DL said about Reserve card access, but the wording made me wonder whether arriving passengers not in D1 who have some sort of SkyClub membership can access lounges upon arrival.

I'm waiting to see whether AmEx makes a similar announcement for access with a regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card. They already have these rules for their Centurion lounges.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I do once in a while.

I fly a lot with friends who live in other cities and if their flight is before mine rather than hang out in the city if their flight is before mine, I'll head to the airport with them and just work in the skyclub. There's also been times when it looks very promising I'll clear the standby list on a flight more than three hours before mine and then something happens that I don't make it (I wish Delta would allow access in those cases).

As far as accessing the club on landing, it is going to be a big deal after a redeye. A lot of times I like to shower and grab something to eat after landing. If Delta is no longer going to allow access on landing after a redeye it would be nice if they provided a prearrival breakfast in first.
I almost never go to the airport more than three hours before my flight because I get 4 pm guaranteed check out at most hotels where I stay and sometimes I'm invited to use the hotel lounge after I check out.

ADDED: I greatly value access upon arrival, not only for a shower or to change clothes, but sometimes when I know I'll have a long wait for a hotel shuttle or just to use a nice clean restroom or grab a cup of coffee or glass of cold water. Once I was very grateful for a bit of lounge food after my flight was mis-catered and DL didn't serve anything but biscoffs and drinks on a dinner flight from the west coast.

I suspect that the mythical luxury leisure airline passenger also either travels for business at times (still!) or does business work during all of those luxury leisure trips. I always work during so-called vacation trips. If anything, I suspect that the work-from-home experience has caused even more people in higher income jobs to work while traveling for leisure.
Buster CT1K and DrMilano like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 4, 2022 at 9:50 am
Old May 4, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I suspect the ability to drop into a SkyClub after a flight to catch up on some work before you head to your final destination is a big attraction to the memberships. Nixing that will push a lot of business travelers to AA/UA I suspect.
What do you folks expect after all the .....ing and moaning on this forum about wait times. Now Delta makes changes to satisfy all you .....ers and moaners, and now we have more .....ers and moaners - the special, entitled class of "business" travelers. Are these the same ones who are wearing the "I am a Diamond Elite" hats?
DrMilano, WillBarrett_68 and FabCW like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:32 pm

I suspect the ability to drop into a SkyClub after a flight to catch up on some work before you head to your final destination is a big attraction to the memberships. Nixing that will push a lot of business travelers to AA/UA I suspect.
That would be fantastic. Get rid of more of the self-entitled .....ing and moaning DM's who have not paid for a ticket with their own money in the last 10 years. All a bunch of freeloaders. If you have not earned at least Platinum on purely leisure travel spending your own money, you are not shite - and you certainly are not "elite".
DrMilano likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Lol mate have you been ripping into the SkyClub rail vodka or something?

What are ya shiteing on about
jamesteroh likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:58 pm

Lol mate have you been ripping into the SkyClub rail vodka or something?

What are ya shiteing on about
All the "elite" dweebs on this forum, who seriously need to get a life and stop pondering "status" paid for by their employers.
DrMilano likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I tend to agree this will not help much and cause more issues. I may stop by on arrival to use the restroom and grab a snack on my way out, but 5 minutes at the most. Three hours prior sometimes, but only at home where I have an hour drive to the airport and time my calls around security.

The bigger question is for people who are paying for their membership, me included is what's next? IE 2 hours 90 minutes prior to departure to long of a layover etc. What are the legal issues with changing the entry requirements after I purchase something?
Old May 5, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Barkley333
What do you folks expect after all the .....ing and moaning on this forum about wait times. Now Delta makes changes to satisfy all you .....ers and moaners, and now we have more .....ers and moaners - the special, entitled class of "business" travelers. Are these the same ones who are wearing the "I am a Diamond Elite" hats?
You don't get it... what the posters want is "skyclub admits me whenever I want for as long as I want and everyone else is never allowed in" After all no one on here is ever a DYKWIA flyer

Seriously, read this what they want is a "DYKWIA" exemption that would not apply to the "masses" because of course we aren't the problem (No, the gate lice are NOT those 100 Diamonds pushing and shoving to be first on the plane in Atlanta, that's the "people who don't fly" No the "frequent flyers" aren't arriving early to camp and drink free in the Skyclub (really??? Not what I have seen or even done when I was a road warrior LOL! but there's a reason every so often we get the "outraged" skyclub cut me off post) No, the people on here aren't a problem when they bring their entire family in before a flight, that's "other families" And so on.. they want change as long as it excludes them :LOL!
sdix, Statman, VFR and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
You don't get it... what the posters want is "skyclub admits me whenever I want for as long as I want and everyone else is never allowed in" After all no one on here is ever a DYKWIA flyer
Along with the all you can eat buffet, free flowing booze and coffee.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta DM
problem solved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.