Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond

So for the past 3-4 weeks, I have noticed (and colleagues have mentioned) Sky Clubs with wait lines. My wife waited 30+ minutes to get into the SC on B in ATL yesterday. Today, the line out of the C SC was 8 deep outside the glass door. I went to D25 and it was busy, but not at capacity

I’ve never experienced waits to gain access to Sky Clubs in 9 years… lines yes, but never waits. Is this just due to pent up travel, or is this the new norm?
ryandc99, becks1 and PoppyHi like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I would think Spring Break and weather have something to do with this, but time will tell.

Seems like a good bit of the covid worry is behind us, and folks are traveling again.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Fancy credit cards are becoming more and more popular. Have to believe the number of Reserve Delta Amex and Platinum/Centurion Amex cardholders is bigger than ever.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Is be coming a crisis midday getting into the Fort Lauderdale club.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
Is be coming a crisis midday getting into the Fort Lauderdale club.

By definition, it can't be a crisis. If the line is too long, I'm not doing it.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Tmsmedic

I’ve never experienced waits to gain access to Sky Clubs in 9 years… lines yes, but never waits. Is this just due to pent up travel, or is this the new norm?
waits for all clubs has been the thing for about a year now during peak travel days. Taken increased demand with ongoing capacity restrictions.

SC waits are relatively recent. I blame capacity restrictions for this, along with long airport connections/wait times.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Less business travelers flying these days.

Formerly a business traveler, even with a lounge pass, might still opt to eat in the regular airport restaurant or bar, because work was picking up the tab. No longer the case, and the lounge food while usually technically prepaid, feels “free” in the moment.

Additionally, those terminal restaurants and bars are now short staffed, and thus have long waits,… making the quick access of the lounge even more enticing. Rather than stand 45 minutes in line for a ShakeShack burger that may cause a missed connection, more people are choosing the lounge for a quick bite.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A few weeks ago there was a wait at the F/G MSP skyclub. I've encountered waits two days in a row at ORD a few months ago but there was bad weather and flights were getting cancelled like crazy and the ones that weren't cancelled were severely delayed and I think the next day were the passengers that had their flights cancelled the prior day.

I know people have been complaining on the flyer talk Delta diamond group about FLL having long waits.

I wish Delta would give priority to skyclub members and people on Delta One tickets over am ex card holders when there is a wait.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Fancy credit cards are becoming more and more popular. Have to believe the number of Reserve Delta Amex and Platinum/Centurion Amex cardholders is bigger than ever.
Exactly my thought on a similar thread about AA clubs.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So is this becoming a chronic issue at the FLL club? That terminal was a mess and the club closed for construction for a long time... and when it finally reopened its too small?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rylan
So is this becoming a chronic issue at the FLL club? That terminal was a mess and the club closed for construction for a long time... and when it finally reopened its too small?
I've only been in there once since they remodeled, but my experience this last Friday (which admittedly was a day that had plenty of delays going on) was that we got there, maybe 10am or so? Had to wait about 30 minutes to get in. From that point, every time I looked out the line was as long as it was when I first got there. Left around 6:45 (with the lounge theoretcially closing at 7:15) and there was still the long line waiting to get in. I'd definitely lean towards the lounge being on the small size for what's needed, but not sure how easy it would have been for them to make it larger.

That said, I will say the FLL terminal, while still undergoing construction, is a lot nicer than it used to be. Although man the airport is getting busy, arrived at 1 in the morning, and you'd have though it was peak time of the day.
gotmilk8 and NoleATL like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wish Delta would give priority to skyclub members and people on Delta One tickets over am ex card holders when there is a wait.
I've seen the LGA D club turn away Amex cardholders when it was very crowded.
JBa and jamesteroh like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've seen the LGA D club turn away Amex cardholders when it was very crowded.
That seems a bit counterproductive because those entering by AmEx cards, while they don't directly pay membership fees, are likely to skew toward being CIPs for DL. My guess is that DMs are more likely to have the Reserve card, for example, than other DL customers while those who have the regular AmEx Plat or Centurion charge card traditionally have high incomes, good educations, professional employment, etc. and do lots of travel, including purchased premium cabin tickets.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Weather has been a major problem in recent days, most notably ATL/FLL. Some lounges are closed. Some lounges have removed seating to allow for more social distancing.

This isn't a credit card or DL-specific issue. In CLT, for example, AA has closed one of their lounges and the other lounge has a perennial line.
mlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
One more year until AmEx opens up their largest Centurion Lounge at 26,000 sq feet in ATL in Terminal E.. Probably will be a mass exodus of the DL Reserve/Platinum/Reserve from the Sky Clubs: https://about.americanexpress.com/al...t/default.aspx

It was so nice traveling last January through March with Delta using the B17 Sky Club as the main club, was so tranquil and calm.

Delta's greed created the SkyClub overcrowding issue for Amex revenue swipes.
dw, renila, jamesteroh and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.