Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Apr 22, 22, 8:16 pm
  #226  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: DEN
Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
Posts: 1,690
JFK definitely gets a Delta One lounge (because it's been announced) because JFK has a lot of transatlantic flights (17 year-round destinations by my count, multiple frequencies on several, and 4 more seasonal). Assuming close partner airlines will use it, add in KL and LA.

LAX has PVG, HND, and SYD... I would bet LHR comes back at some point, not sure about CDG. That's not that many, but I still think they get a D1 lounge, but mostly because AA has a Flagship Lounge and UA has a Polaris Lounge.

ATL has a ton of destinations worldwide, but a lot less competition, it's kind of the opposite of LAX. I would bet they still get a D1 lounge for product consistency and because it's headquarters.

SEA is a question mark... they don't have a ton of long-haul flights, they've vacillated on whether the transcons are D1 or First Class with lie-flat seats, and their lounge competition (AS and BA) is weaker than the Sky Club.

BOS is another question mark. They are building up transatlantic flights (including moving them to Terminal E). The BA lounge in BOS is wonderful and beats the Sky Club easily (and the AF lounge is a dungeon). The AA / UA lounges are nice for what they are, but AA/UA only compete on BOS-LHR. JetBlue still has no lounges.

DTW I could see going either way as well. A lot of transatlantic and transpacific traffic, but DL dominated.

MSP and SLC heavily skew domestic and don't have much competition, to the Sky Club with you!

So you end up with 3 - 6 Delta One Lounges... AA has 5 Flagship Lounges (+1 if they ever open PHL), and United has 5 Polaris Lounges.
VFR is online now  
Old Apr 23, 22, 11:54 pm
  #227  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 376
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

LAX has PVG, HND, and SYD... I would bet LHR comes back at some point, not sure about CDG. That's not that many, but I still think they get a D1 lounge, but mostly because AA has a Flagship Lounge and UA has a Polaris Lounge.
.
Plus 8+ flights a day to JFK, all of which offer D1 service. Maybe a couple other domestic D1 branded routes but not sure offhand.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
USCTrojan83 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 22, 9:12 am
  #228  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: DEN
Programs: AA PP, DL FO, NH *G
Posts: 1,690
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83 View Post
Plus 8+ flights a day to JFK, all of which offer D1 service. Maybe a couple other domestic D1 branded routes but not sure offhand.
AA offers Flagship Lounge access on transcons, but UA does not. My suspicion is that DL will let transcon D1 into the new lounges but who knows.
VFR is online now  
Old Apr 24, 22, 9:44 am
  #229  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,021
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
AA offers Flagship Lounge access on transcons, but UA does not. My suspicion is that DL will let transcon D1 into the new lounges but who knows.
This would be part of being competitive on the LAX-JFK and vv route. If certain other hubs like SEA and ATL don't have a D1 lounge, it wouldn't matter as much for some routes, although if there's a D1 lounge at JFK, it would be hard to permit only some D1 routes touching JFK to use that lounge.
VFR likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 6:30 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Posts: 905
DTW is struggling

Just an FYI the main club (large one with showers) is undergoing maintenance (AKA limited food for the next few weeks). The new A43 club is, as a result, ALWAYS full. So if you want any semblance of hot foot, you better be prepared to schlep over to B/C or end-cap A club, where hot food is limited at best (only one hot pork dish tonight).
Pianoman109876 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 7:31 pm
  #231  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 14,174
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
BOS is another question mark. They are building up transatlantic flights (including moving them to Terminal E). The BA lounge in BOS is wonderful and beats the Sky Club easily (and the AF lounge is a dungeon). The AA / UA lounges are nice for what they are, but AA/UA only compete on BOS-LHR. JetBlue still has no lounges..
BOS is finishing renovations on the satellite A17 club, which supports some of the TATL traffic - less now that AMS/CDG/LHR now depart from E instead of A. There isn't any space left in A either for more lounge space without major construction. DL definitely needs a club in E, since they're reliant on the AF lounge which is garbage, especially for pax with D1 tickets. Hopefully when the E 'expansion' opens, DL will have a SC there, or at least AF will have a larger better one. The VS clubhouse in BOS is great but just too small to support DL pax. Maybe I can dream and VS will open a large clubhouse as part of the E terminal expansion and DL pax can access it for E departures.
rylan is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:13 am
  #232  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 1,112
Well this is pretty draconian if its across the board:

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/air...-access-rules/

Essentially the same as the Centurion access rules;
  • Can only access 3hrs prior to departure
  • No arrivals access
I can't imagine this not having a carve out for members/Reserve cardholders.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:21 am
  #233  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,012
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
Well this is pretty draconian if its across the board:

https://thriftytraveler.com/news/air...-access-rules/

Essentially the same as the Centurion access rules;
  • Can only access 3hrs prior to departure
  • No arrivals access
I can't imagine this not having a carve out for members/Reserve cardholders.
Not having arrivals access hurts the most. Honestly when I do this, it is usually to grab a snack and restroom break before heading on to the location, 30 minutes at the most.

Not sure why people would need more than three hours of SkyClub access before a domestic departure - that seems reasonable to me.

Would love to see an original source
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Adelphos is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:27 am
  #234  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Would love to see an original source
https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

javabytes is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:40 am
  #235  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 399
I'm happy with the new Sky Club access changes. I know not all aren't for legitimate reasons. Overcrowding has become so significant that most times I find it more relaxing to sit in the terminal. In addition, there are plenty of folks that take advantage of the situation, most of us have seen this.

3 hours is plenty for me domestically plus the flexibility regarding time with connections. Lots of lounge lizards out there. It's always a few that the cause the changes for all
Statman and DrMilano like this.
buckeye91 is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:42 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 1,247
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
I'm wondering how many people this even affects.
Goodoldflyer is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:42 am
  #237  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,012
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
A lot of detail in the FAQ as well. May merit a new thread, or at least thread title
Adelphos is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:43 am
  #238  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,961
Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
I'm happy with the new Sky Club access changes. I know not all aren't for legitimate reasons. Overcrowding has become so significant that most times I find it more relaxing to sit in the terminal. In addition, there are plenty of folks that take advantage of the situation, most of us have seen this.

3 hours is plenty for me domestically plus the flexibility regarding time with connections. Lots of lounge lizards out there. It's always a few that the cause the changes for all
Losing access on arrival is a big loss for business travelers who no longer have the opportunity to clean up after a long flight before heading to a customer site.
javabytes is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:47 am
  #239  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 1,112
I suspect the ability to drop into a SkyClub after a flight to catch up on some work before you head to your final destination is a big attraction to the memberships. Nixing that will push a lot of business travelers to AA/UA I suspect.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old May 4, 22, 9:49 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,012
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Losing access on arrival is a big loss for business travelers who no longer have the opportunity to clean up after a long flight before heading to a customer site.
This is a good point. To me this suggests that SkyClubs, similar to Centurion Lounge, are targeted more to a mass luxury, leisure customer rather than pure business travelers these days. On the other hand, I think same day business travel is down - increasingly people are flying a day or two before.
Adelphos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread