Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Yup. I was in DTW in February this year and it was still a bit quiet.
Not so today. Of course, it's a Monday, so the business traveler was out in full force...as were couples in shorts, etc. A bit of everything flying out/connecting today. There was an agent standing in the opening of A43 with a large sign suggesting the lounge was close to full, and maybe another of the lounges would better serve my needs. But as he confirmed I was a party of one, he waved me through.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Passed by the D club in ATL today. Looked like the hottest club in town… massive line stretching back towards the center point. I kept on walking.
VFR and pharmflyer like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by thooks30
This would piss me off. I got the Reserve Card a few years ago with this benefit in mind. My job reimburses club fees, which I don’t pay since I have reserve card. If I knew priority was for paying members I would have happily purchased and expensed my club membership.
I have a feeling that the person you are replying to is talking about the Amex platinum cardholders not the Delta reserve but I could be wrong. The Amex Platium also gives them access as a benefit but this is secondary. It makes me think that this is the reason why Amex plans to build a very large CL in ATL.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Would Dan Cortese have to wait in line?
Zorak likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:52 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
I have a feeling that the person you are replying to is talking about the Amex platinum cardholders not the Delta reserve but I could be wrong. The Amex Platium also gives them access as a benefit but this is secondary. It makes me think that this is the reason why Amex plans to build a very large CL in ATL.
Does anyone have a data point on someone with a platinum card being turned away in favor of memberships / Reserve cards? I don't think Delta treats Amex Platinum access as secondary.

Amex is now the only credit card company that gives their premium, unbranded cardholders access to an airline-operated lounge. I think they realize that DL has a lot of leverage over them in terms of Sky Club access and cost to Amex, and building Centurion lounges in Delta hubs is a way to de-leverage the relationship slightly. They also stand to pick up some premium cardholders that don't necessarily fly Delta in those locations.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by VFR
Does anyone have a data point on someone with a platinum card being turned away in favor of memberships / Reserve cards? I don't think Delta treats Amex Platinum access as secondary.

Amex is now the only credit card company that gives their premium, unbranded cardholders access to an airline-operated lounge. I think they realize that DL has a lot of leverage over them in terms of Sky Club access and cost to Amex, and building Centurion lounges in Delta hubs is a way to de-leverage the relationship slightly. They also stand to pick up some premium cardholders that don't necessarily fly Delta in those locations.
I doubt this happened recently - it potentially may have happened when Amex Gold cardholders had the ability to purchase one time access - I could see it happening in that situation. I could also see curent Amex Delta Platinum cardholders being denied the ability to purchase access today in a similar situation. I doubt Amex Platinum cardholders would be turned away today. I would imagine the majority of people get access via Amex Platinum or Reserve
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Seems like there's a simple one word answer to the source of this overcrowding issue: Guests.
Seems like there's a two word solution to the issue of overcrowding: No Guests.
And yes, that includes spouses, children, friends and business associates..
E.g., only the cardholder passenger (source of dues revenue) is admitted.
ShopAround and DLASflyer like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by deltalirious
Seems like there's a simple one word answer to the source of this overcrowding issue: Guests.
Then that would kill one of the benefits and marketing pluses of the DL Amex Reserve card - the $39 guest fee access privilege and further restrict the population of people willing to pay $550 annually for a card to those who primarily travel alone.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That doesn't work with pax who have a membership that includes guests as part of it, such as executive SC or the guest choice benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
One thing is clear that flying D1 does not give one any kind of priority.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I would love to see guesting restricted but the problem is diamonds chose the exec membership/guesting as a choice benefit, it comes with a lifetime meembership and you get two free guesti passes a year with the reserve.

Maybe the way to go would be no paid entries. If someone has a platinum delta AmEx or other AmEx that requires you to pay, they don't get in and no guesting in people if you have to pay the fee. It would cut down on crowding and no punish those who have a benefit they paid for or earned.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Please delete. Posted twice in error
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:41 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Guesting is already quite restricted. The following people get free guests:

- Executive Members (including DMs that spent two choice benefits for an executive membership) (2 guests)
- DMs that spent one choice benefit for a credit card guest pass (2 guests)
- SkyTeam Elite+ traveling internationally (1 guest), and this is SkyTeam policy so it seems unlikely to change.

Folks getting access another way can pay $39/guest for up to two additional guests.

The guest passes on the Reserve were added recently, I'd guess in response to customer feedback that some folks want to take their spouse/family members with them. I'm not sure what you could cut that would make a huge difference.

Build more lounges. Open pop-up Sky Clubs. Try grab-and-go like some other airlines. Airport space is tough to get, but given the revenue that airlines seem to make from lounge credit cards, they should be able to do something.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Eliminating guesting entirely would impact the value proposition of the cards too much, and Delta/Amex rely heavily on those card sign ups / spend.

I do think all airline clubs should invest in grab and go. If people could walk into a club and grab a bottle of water/soda, quality sandwich, etc to bring aboard, many would choose to spend a lot less time in the club (they would get to the club for a few minutes before boarding rather than getting there an hour before and having snacks, drinks, etc).
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
Guesting is already quite restricted. The following people get free guests:

- Executive Members (including DMs that spent two choice benefits for an executive membership) (2 guests)
- DMs that spent one choice benefit for a credit card guest pass (2 guests)
- SkyTeam Elite+ traveling internationally (1 guest), and this is SkyTeam policy so it seems unlikely to change.

Folks getting access another way can pay $39/guest for up to two additional guests.

The guest passes on the Reserve were added recently, I'd guess in response to customer feedback that some folks want to take their spouse/family members with them. I'm not sure what you could cut that would make a huge difference.

Build more lounges. Open pop-up Sky Clubs. Try grab-and-go like some other airlines. Airport space is tough to get, but given the revenue that airlines seem to make from lounge credit cards, they should be able to do something.
I'd love to see grab and go. They should definitely give D1 passengers a higher priority.

I'd also like to see airport food vouchers if you are d1 International. I'd rather eat at even a place like PF changs or SORA before an international flight, would be better food and would ease up on crowding in the SC.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.