Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Apr 20, 22, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Well one good thing is that my home base BOS I've never seen a wait to get in, even though the lounge can get busy during the late afternoon peak business rush.
Enjoying a nice beverage at the bar and some clam chowdah.
Adelphos and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's *interesting* that DL neglects to mention that you can also enter with a regular AmEx Plat/Centurion charge card when flying DL the same day.
It's probably a simple as Delta gets a cut of revenues generation from Delta branded card sign ups and credit card spend, and I don't think they get a cut of Amex Platinum spend.

There have been suggestions that Delta limit Amex Platinum access or even somehow cut the relationship between Membership Rewards and Skymiles, but that doesn't seem to be likely. Delta cards seem popular enough even with the presence of the Amex MR charge card line.
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
It's probably a simple as Delta gets a cut of revenues generation from Delta branded card sign ups and credit card spend, and I don't think they get a cut of Amex Platinum spend.

There have been suggestions that Delta limit Amex Platinum access or even somehow cut the relationship between Membership Rewards and Skymiles, but that doesn't seem to be likely. Delta cards seem popular enough even with the presence of the Amex MR charge card line.
I am surprised with the reserve, they don't limit it to just Delta reserve AmEx cardholders since United is in bed with Chase and you only get access with the Chase United high end card and not the Chase Sapphire reserve which is like their version of the Platinum AmEx. They could just give out a skyclub membership with the reserve card like United does with their Chase card.

At least AmEx reserve cardholders get access to the Centurion Lounge when flying Delta (wish they would give it with all airlines but make sense seeing it's a delta branded card) and the Escape lounges. I wonder why that arrangement with Delta and AmEx is for the reserve entrances to the Centurion Lounges
Old Apr 20, 22, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I am surprised with the reserve, they don't limit it to just Delta reserve AmEx cardholders since United is in bed with Chase and you only get access with the Chase United high end card and not the Chase Sapphire reserve which is like their version of the Platinum AmEx. They could just give out a skyclub membership with the reserve card like United does with their Chase card.

At least AmEx reserve cardholders get access to the Centurion Lounge when flying Delta (wish they would give it with all airlines but make sense seeing it's a delta branded card) and the Escape lounges. I wonder why that arrangement with Delta and AmEx is for the reserve entrances to the Centurion Lounges
I wonder whether giving the Reserve card access to Centurion and Escape lounges is viewed as a device to mitigate crowding in SkyClubs They wouldn't want to include these lounges in a SkyClub membership.
Old Apr 20, 22, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I wonder whether giving the Reserve card access to Centurion and Escape lounges is viewed as a device to mitigate crowding in SkyClubs They wouldn't want to include these lounges in a SkyClub membership.
Would be interesting to know the agreement. Weird thing is you have to be flying Delta and pay for the ticket with an AmEx card to access the Centurion Lounge and it's my understanding only the US and LHR centurion lounges qualify for entry with the reserve card, but to access the Escape clubs you just have to present the reserve card and don't have to be flying delta and the ticket doesn't have to be paid for with an AmEx card.
Old Apr 20, 22, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Well, I arrived in B and departure now from B... so I went to the centerpoint B skyclub and walked right in. Quiet, maybe 25% full or less currently. Lots of stuff in the concourse closed already except for the outlets in the middle by the escalators.
Wicked Thai soup and bbq pork... yum
Old Apr 20, 22, 7:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Well, I arrived in B and departure now from B... so I went to the centerpoint B skyclub and walked right in. Quiet, maybe 25% full or less currently. Lots of stuff in the concourse closed already except for the outlets in the middle by the escalators.
Wicked Thai soup and bbq pork... yum
The spring break and holiday travel period seems to have ended, although there might be a lot of last minute "revenge" (maskless) travel over the next few days.
Old Apr 20, 22, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
If they drop that benefit, Im dropping the card and honestly probably going to a different airline. The duo is one of the main reasons I fly Delta.
For sure. Ive been more loyal to Amex than I have been to any airline in the past 25+ years. When CO dropped lounge access via Amex Plat, I moved mostly to AA. When they dropped it I landed at DL. Other factors were at play of course, but this is a pretty big one.
Old Apr 21, 22, 1:41 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
For sure. Ive been more loyal to Amex than I have been to any airline in the past 25+ years. When CO dropped lounge access via Amex Plat, I moved mostly to AA. When they dropped it I landed at DL. Other factors were at play of course, but this is a pretty big one.
Ive been hoping Chase would add United or someone to their Reserve card since I find that card just way more valuable than Amex Plat with extra points on dining and whatnot
Old Apr 21, 22, 2:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Ive been hoping Chase would add United or someone to their Reserve card since I find that card just way more valuable than Amex Plat with extra points on dining and whatnot

This is easily solved by adding just one more credit card (depending on what direction you want to go in)

1) Amex Green provides 3x points on dining and travel, just like Chase Sapphire Reserve
2) Chase United Club card offers United Club access
Old Apr 21, 22, 2:56 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
This is easily solved by adding just one more credit card (depending on what direction you want to go in)

1) Amex Green provides 3x points on dining and travel, just like Chase Sapphire Reserve
2) Chase United Club card offers United Club access
Sure, I get that but I already have like 8 credit cards of various benefits. Adding more just adds to the cost and confusion. Ive been trying to simplify my card line up more
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:30 am

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life

Delta gets $5-$6 billion a year (with a B) from AMEX. Its behind where it should have been, but is now back on track.

That cut aint gonna happen.
Old Apr 21, 22, 6:33 am

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I doubt this happened recently - it potentially may have happened when Amex Gold cardholders had the ability to purchase one time access - I could see it happening in that situation. I could also see curent Amex Delta Platinum cardholders being denied the ability to purchase access today in a similar situation. I doubt Amex Platinum cardholders would be turned away today. I would imagine the majority of people get access via Amex Platinum or Reserve
my AMEX is attached to my Delta profile.
I scan my boarding pass, it comes up as Skyclub member, I enter.
no one has looked at my card in years.
Old Apr 21, 22, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing Delta gives gives Lounge access to the AmEx Platinum cardholders, would make sense chase would seeing the CSR is similar to what the AmEx platinum is and Chase is in bed with United like AmEx is with Delta.

I find a lot more value with Chase than AmEx, accepted a lot more places and with restaurants and pay yourself back I haven't paid for a restaurant meal since sometime in 2020. I use my CSR for bonus categories and use my freedom unlimited for everyday spending and move the points over.

Chase card is a good card for some airports where priority pass has the dining credit and at MSP. The AmEx priority pass doesn't provide the restaurant credit and I like being able to use the PGA lounge at MSP on a long layover.
Old Apr 21, 22, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Seeing Delta gives gives Lounge access to the AmEx Platinum cardholders, would make sense chase would seeing the CSR is similar to what the AmEx platinum is and Chase is in bed with United like AmEx is with Delta.

I find a lot more value with Chase than AmEx, accepted a lot more places and with restaurants and pay yourself back I haven't paid for a restaurant meal since sometime in 2020. I use my CSR for bonus categories and use my freedom unlimited for everyday spending and move the points over.

Chase card is a good card for some airports where priority pass has the dining credit and at MSP. The AmEx priority pass doesn't provide the restaurant credit and I like being able to use the PGA lounge at MSP on a long layover.
The basic PP membership I get from AmEx Plat charge card gets me access to PGA at MSP with some credit for either F&B or some golf activity there. I also have the Escape lounge and two SkyClubs. It's nice to have choices.

Search this Thread