Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
The only thing this article confirms is that DL will build a D1 lounge at JFK. They wouldn't commit to confirming LAX. My guess is that ATL will not get one of these lounges, at least not early on. This is likely just targeted at D1 passengers to Europe. If it was also aimed at transcon, they'd add one at SFO/LAX as well. Time will tell.
Not disagreeing with the above, but didn't ATL have the last of the old BusinessElite lounges? ISTR two E clubs adjacent to each other, and one of them had a better food service in the afternoon (TATL departure window). I vaguely recall one of the JFK T3 lounges being designated as BE at around the same time frame (early 2010s), but I don't remember any functional difference amongst them.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
The only thing this article confirms is that DL will build a D1 lounge at JFK. They wouldn't commit to confirming LAX. My guess is that ATL will not get one of these lounges, at least not early on. This is likely just targeted at D1 passengers to Europe. If it was also aimed at transcon, they'd add one at SFO/LAX as well. Time will tell.
I am sure once they start with one, they will implement these on other location.

Last edited by Synapseturquoise; Apr 22, 2022 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My expectation is that the D1 lounges will be targeted for hubs with lots of high-yield D1 passengers and lots of competition for corporate contracts or the D1 market. NYC and LAX would be obvious places, not airports with hub captives, no matter how elite.
DCAproducer likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My expectation is that the D1 lounges will be targeted for hubs with lots of high-yield D1 passengers and lots of competition for corporate contracts or the D1 market. NYC and LAX would be obvious places, not airports with hub captives, no matter how elite.
That certainly doesn't mesh well with the concept of "We know you have a choice in airlines when you fly" concept.

I don't remember there being a "except when you use our hub" clause.

They need to remember that we also have our choice of hubs.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
That certainly doesn't mesh well with the concept of "We know you have a choice in airlines when you fly" concept.

I don't remember there being a "except when you use our hub" clause.

They need to remember that we also have our choice of hubs.
DL can compete with better than average SkyClubs in many airports without the need of a D1 space

If they are hedging about having a D1 lounge at LAX, don't expect it at every airport
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
DL can compete with better than average SkyClubs in many airports without the need of a D1 space

If they are hedging about having a D1 lounge at LAX, don't expect it at every airport
Who makes more money for them? ATL or LAX?

Their flagship hub should have their flagship club.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

1) Could it be argued that ATL B was the "flagship club" for a long time?
2) Regardless of whether they are called flagship or not, has ATL ever had the best SkyClub in the system? I would argue SEA has been the "flagship" Delta lounge for a number of years. JFK is up there too.
3) Can any club in ATL possibly be "flagship" or "best" given it will be mobbed ?

I would guess ATL would get some kind of D1 offering eventually given all of the D1 flights, but given the history of SkyClubs and where Delta needs to compete I would never expect Atlanta to have the best club in the system
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:40 pm

What percentage of D1 passengers in ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC are hub captive O/D pax vs. connecting traffic?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:42 pm

define "makes more money"? Aggregate or per capita? Are you counting connecting and O/D traffic the same? etc.

Really what should determine this isn't who's making money but where will a club upgrade have the biggest effect? There are opportunity costs here.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life

ATL isn't a big O&D airport - it's mostly XFERS.
LAX is a big O&D airport.
So is (are) JFK & LGA.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
What percentage of D1 passengers in ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC are hub captive O/D pax vs. connecting traffic?
When the daily MSP-LHR nonstop restarted, DL said that preCOVID-19 the route carried about 40,000 O/D passengers per year. It's a partial answer, the to me the number seems surprisingly large. Metro population is about two million in very rough terms, maybe some from farther away drive to MSP rather than taking connecting flights on barbie jets from small airports.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by lindros2
ATL isn't a big O&D airport - it's mostly XFERS.
LAX is a big O&D airport.
So is (are) JFK & LGA.

Why would O&D be the only factor considered?

Which has the more traffic, thereby enabling more transfers and revenue?

I'm out on a limb here, but I'd guess ATL is the more important hub.

Let's test it out this way: which has the most club space?

Or which has more D1 flights, in and out? Why would a termination be more important than a layover for the purposes of a club?

I'm not trying to be right, I'm genuinely curious. But I would also accept that many of the folks here are more knowledgeable about this than me.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Apr 22, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:30 pm

O/D passengers are likely to be willing to pay more for a nonstop. For those who must connect, outside of FT most wouldn't care where they connect and are more likely to simply buy the cheapest ticket.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:33 pm

O/D passengers are likely to be willing to pay more for a nonstop. For those who must connect, outside of FT most wouldn't care where they connect and are more likely to simply buy the cheapest ticket.

Sure. But it's a bit of a stretch to say that they're paying more for premium club access, and the folks who are flying from just about anywhere on the east cost is not, including folks flying to LAX.

I'm not sure how those calculations are done, but that would seem to me to be short sighted. Wouldn't you want to give the benefit to the most D1 passengers? Now you can say it's more for the business traveler, but I think a similar logic is present.

What's funny is that I spend more time in a sky club if it's NOT my origin or destination. I'm captive during my layovers. If it's my origin, I time it better than that, and if it's my destination, I go to wherever it is I'm going.

But I don't really know. Maybe it's more important to impress the JFK to LAX crowd. Perhaps that's the most business travel revenue.

Mind you, I'm just giving an alternate view, and I claim nothing about knowing the decision drivers of the airlines.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Apr 22, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:28 pm

AUS has my favorite SC. I wish they could duplicate this for D1 in DTW/ATL.
lindros2 and Goodoldflyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.