Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old May 5, 2022, 4:13 pm
  #256  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Posts: 113
I stop by on my arrival maybe 3/5 times to grab a quick snack and use the bathroom. If there happens to be a wait, I'll move along. It was nice but I'm not too worried about the new changes.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Frozenguy is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 5:14 pm
  #257  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NYC/LAX
Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Posts: 1,974
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
I stop by on my arrival maybe 3/5 times to grab a quick snack and use the bathroom. If there happens to be a wait, I'll move along. It was nice but I'm not too worried about the new changes.
Agree--it's a nice "extra", but if the new policy means reduced crowding/entry wait times, I can adapt.
IndyHoosier and Frozenguy like this.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 5:32 pm
  #258  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Posts: 2,060
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Just out of curiosity how many people are actually using the lounge on arrival with no connection and getting to the airport more than 3 hours early to go to the lounge because I've never done that and I don't know anyone who does those things. Would think that this new change is affecting a very small amount of people but I might be wrong. I appreciate the intent here which is to reduce overcrowding but at the same time we need to stop beating around the bush and make changes around the bigger problems causing this.
This happened to me today. Finished with a client at about 1:30PM. Got dropped off at IND airport at 2PM for a 7PM flight. Immediately got to the club sat down opened the laptop and started working away at missed emails, etc. Today we got into the Club right away. but under the new rules I would have to wait 2 hours for entry to the club at the 3 hour mark before my flight.

The new rule sucks but I do understand the balance. While IND airport was never SRO or even near a queue for entry I know many other Sky clubs do face that during peak travel times. So I get the balancing act here.
mridley2 is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 6:25 pm
  #259  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,979
Lets note that it really means quite a bit less in terms of time in the club. If boarding starts at T-40 minutes, and assume a 5-minute walk to the gate, the access to the lounge is really only 2:15.
dtwlarry likes this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 6:26 pm
  #260  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,411
Originally Posted by mridley2
This happened to me today. Finished with a client at about 1:30PM. Got dropped off at IND airport at 2PM for a 7PM flight. Immediately got to the club sat down opened the laptop and started working away at missed emails, etc. Today we got into the Club right away. but under the new rules I would have to wait 2 hours for entry to the club at the 3 hour mark before my flight.

The new rule sucks but I do understand the balance. While IND airport was never SRO or even near a queue for entry I know many other Sky clubs do face that during peak travel times. So I get the balancing act here.
Put yourself on the standby list for any earlier flight even if you have zero intention of taking it.
Statman and BigFishDave like this.
sydneyracquelle is online now  
Old May 5, 2022, 6:27 pm
  #261  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Posts: 587
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Agree--it's a nice "extra", but if the new policy means reduced crowding/entry wait times, I can adapt.
The problem isÖ these changes arenít going to reduce the crowds much.

Consider the rules today, where arrivals are allowed. If the lounge is crowded creating a line to get in, most arriving guests who were looking for a quick coffee and clean restroom just go elsewhere, not adding to the crowd. Otherwise if the club isnít crowded, they enter, use the toilet, grab a coffee and 5min later off they go. The arrival guests who are now being restricted are not the ones causing the crowding problems.

And letís be honest hereÖ most of us know which SkyClubs tend to have the worst crowding problems and why. (Spoiler: not arriving guests):

MSP- Despite being a huge DL hub, there are only two clubs at MSPÖ and the one in C doesnít have good food options.

FLL- Brand new club that was built way too small.

MCO- Disney kidsÖ and they still havenít maximized space by taking down the wall they put up 15 years ago.

ORD- This club is being replaced in September, which should hopefully alleviate crowd issues. It will be bigger, and shared with KL & AF.

Despite ATL and DTW clubs getting full-ish, there are enough clubs in those airports that you can usually find one with seats. Other than at the new, small A43 club, I have never had to wait in line at DTW.

SLC- The new club is great, but again gets full-ish. They could use a second club somewhere.

LAX- I hope the waits here went away three weeks ago, but havenít been since the new club opened.
kavok is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 6:38 pm
  #262  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Posts: 15,415
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Put yourself on the standby list for any earlier flight even if you have zero intention of taking it.
I thought about that but what happens if you don't want on that flight and clear and aren't at the gate?

Everytime I fly SB I wait by the gate of the new flight. I was under the impression if you cleared the standby list and weren't there you lost your original seat on your later flight.
jamesteroh is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 7:35 pm
  #263  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NYC/LAX
Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Posts: 1,974
Originally Posted by kavok
And letís be honest hereÖ most of us know which SkyClubs tend to have the worst crowding problems and why.
It seems logical that this change will have relatively lower impact at the hubs, given the higher percentage of connecting customers vs O&D. Overall the change may only help around the margins, but I don't see what other options DL has that have an immediate impact on the problem.

Amex Platinum dropped AA and CO club benefits years ago to be DL-exclusive. I don't see the benefit getting cut, although over time, I could see Amex offering the DL lounge benefit at a higher membership fee or as a choice in lieu of other card benefits. The other leak is free membership for Diamonds--DL could make this more restrictive (i.e., make GUCs and SkyClub choice benefits mutually exclusive).

In light of the realistic alternatives, I am hopeful DL has done their diligence and the announced changes will have a material impact on crowds.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2022, 11:28 pm
  #264  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
It seems logical that this change will have relatively lower impact at the hubs, given the higher percentage of connecting customers vs O&D. Overall the change may only help around the margins, but I don't see what other options DL has that have an immediate impact on the problem.

Amex Platinum dropped AA and CO club benefits years ago to be DL-exclusive. I don't see the benefit getting cut, although over time, I could see Amex offering the DL lounge benefit at a higher membership fee or as a choice in lieu of other card benefits. The other leak is free membership for Diamonds--DL could make this more restrictive (i.e., make GUCs and SkyClub choice benefits mutually exclusive).

In light of the realistic alternatives, I am hopeful DL has done their diligence and the announced changes will have a material impact on crowds.
I'd be interested to know the effect of the free membership for DM, but my guess is 1 - a large number of DMs have Reserve/Plat cards already, and 2 - if DMs lost free lounge access, most of those DMs would just get an Amex/Reserve card (after all, if you don't use your DM benefit on lounge membership, you can get $200 as an alternative, so off the top, your "fee" for the card is reduced by $200)- so the effect on crowding would be negligible.
jamesteroh and Frozenguy like this.
jetsfan92588 is online now  
Old May 6, 2022, 5:47 am
  #265  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: FLL ✈ ZRH ✈ MSP ✈✈✈✈
Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
Posts: 156
When we flew from FLL MSP FLL March 18 and 23, 2022

March 18, 2022 FLL Was there when it opened. Not Busy.
March 18, 2022 MSP 1000 Arrival at MSP. Main SkyClub was pretty full. The only seats open that were open was in the back by the printer.

March 23, 2022 MSP 0700 - 0830 Arrival to Main SkyClub. Very Full. The only spot that my wife and I could find was the opposite side of the SkyClub. We didn't know there was a spot to sit there. We've never been to this little cubby hole. It was standing room only there. When we left there was a line outside approx 20 people waiting to get in.
March 23, 2022 FLL 1445 Arrival from MSP. FLL SkyClub was busy about 20 people ahead of us. Only about a 10 minute wait. It went by fast. We went to the bathroom, got a quick drink and left. In and out within 10 minutes.

FLL Is too small. It's nice. They should have made it bigger.

It's nice to sit and relax in the Skyclub, and catch up on some work, and or relax in a quiet setting before the flight - vs - being out by the gates where it's to loud and crowded

It's nice to stop off when we arrive at our destination(s) to go to a clean and decent restroom, pick up a quick bite to eat and drink before we start our day.
When we arrive at our destination(s) we stay no more than 5 - 10 minutes.

I'm DM with Delta Reserve
My wife is GM with Delta Reserve

We'll be flying again soon. We'll soon see what ATL, JFK, LAX, SLC Skyclubs will look like.

Within the next few months I'll be doing multiple JFK, LAX, JFK, LAX, JFK, etc. Redeye flights again.
The last time I did this was before COVID and it shut everything down.
I don't know if you can use the showers again? But if you can, It's nice to take a shower to be refreshed to start a new day, especially from flying all night from one coast to the other.

Last edited by NWA777; May 6, 2022 at 6:34 am
NWA777 is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 5:56 am
  #266  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,982
Anyone reports from the MSY club? Never been there and visiting in a few weeks

JFK is an interesting one, the SkyClub can get crowded, but I feel like it hasn't been as crowded since the Centurion Lounge opening, and the D1 lounge will help the situation even further. SEA has not been that crowded in my experience, and is one fo the best in the system. Eagerly awaiting the new LGA club in June. PBI club seems get full, but not too crowded.
Adelphos is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 6:39 am
  #267  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,452
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Anyone reports from the MSY club? Never been there and visiting in a few weeks

JFK is an interesting one, the SkyClub can get crowded, but I feel like it hasn't been as crowded since the Centurion Lounge opening, and the D1 lounge will help the situation even further. SEA has not been that crowded in my experience, and is one fo the best in the system. Eagerly awaiting the new LGA club in June. PBI club seems get full, but not too crowded.
sea is getting to capacity. As does jfk, lax, Pbi and more. They must shorten the access window to 90 mins preflight.
shoodawg is online now  
Old May 6, 2022, 7:06 am
  #268  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, DC, Chapel Hill, NC (RDU)
Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 5,638
Originally Posted by buckeye91
3 hours is plenty for me domestically plus the flexibility regarding time with connections. Lots of lounge lizards out there. It's always a few that the cause the changes for all
Im a traveling pet sitter and sometimes the sits end mid-late afternoon. And if traveling from the west coast, waiting for an 10/11 pm or so red eye.
Those are really he only times when I show up more than 3 hours before the flight.
Ill adapt.
mot29 is offline  
Old May 6, 2022, 8:18 am
  #269  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North of DTW
Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Lets note that it really means quite a bit less in terms of time in the club. If boarding starts at T-40 minutes, and assume a 5-minute walk to the gate, the access to the lounge is really only 2:15.
Originally Posted by shoodawg
sea is getting to capacity. As does jfk, lax, Pbi and more. They must shorten the access window to 90 mins preflight.
[MENTION=22952]shoodawg[/MENTION], as [MENTION=3610]IADCAflyer[/MENTION] points out, the useful time is cut down as a result of the new boarding T-40 philosophy (including the possibility of the doors closing at T-10 or T-15), with that brisk walk to the gate, a 90 minute access window is just a bit skimpy for using the perk as preferred, IMHO
dw likes this.
dtwlarry is offline  
Old May 7, 2022, 1:07 pm
  #270  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: On the run
Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Anyone reports from the MSY club? Never been there and visiting in a few weeks

JFK is an interesting one, the SkyClub can get crowded, but I feel like it hasn't been as crowded since the Centurion Lounge opening, and the D1 lounge will help the situation even further. SEA has not been that crowded in my experience, and is one fo the best in the system. Eagerly awaiting the new LGA club in June. PBI club seems get full, but not too crowded.
I havenít step foot in the Delta JFK SkyClub since the Centurion lounge opened up, as Iíll go out of my way and walk past the SkyClub.

Atlanta needs a D1 lounge badly, as I assume that AF and KLM J and F passengers would be granted access too. But with D1 transcontinental market, suspect that is why JFK and LAX were announced 1st. Itís just so amusing that airline industry goes in circles, as I still remember Delta shutting down the former BusinessElite lounges.

When the ATL Centurion lounge opens up and the AmEx Platinum/Centurion members no longer swipe to enter the Atlanta SkyClubs this should be interesting how this affects Deltaís SkyClub bottom line with this lose of revenue.
DrMilano is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.