Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjbogart
Hi! Newbie poster here.

I've got my first ever DL-coded, AF operated RT coming up JFKCDG in Premium Economy. I'm DM and not expecting a comp upg, but I'd love to buyup to J if it's a decent deal. Do I need to check in on the AF app instead of the DL app in hopes of an offer? Can I assume that I won't get any MQDs on a buy up (above and beyond my ticketed fare MQDs on a DL flight number).

Thanks!
Yes, the AF app will offer upgrade after you checkin. Pricing varies.

You can use the DL PNR in AF app to pull up reservation.

No additional MQM/MQD as you're not reticketed in new class of service, just seated in the higher cabin..

If you elect upgrade all the way to First, don't forget to ask for your free wifi code onboard. The system will see you in W still when try and login. They have to get a code for you to get in free.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:24 am

Skymiles availability on Aeromexico

I have in the past used skymiles booked through the delta website and app to get Mexican domestics with Aeromexico. I’ve been trying to find availability for MEX-MID-MEX in August and September and nothing but a message comes up saying call the helpline. I’ve tried finding flights on other days up to a year ahead and on other AM routes but still nothing.

Have Skymiles redemptions on AM metal stopped, or is there something I’m doing wrong here?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gavin C
I have in the past used skymiles booked through the delta website and app to get Mexican domestics with Aeromexico. I’ve been trying to find availability for MEX-MID-MEX in August and September and nothing but a message comes up saying call the helpline. I’ve tried finding flights on other days up to a year ahead and on other AM routes but still nothing.

Have Skymiles redemptions on AM metal stopped, or is there something I’m doing wrong here?
No award availability. AM determines if/when to make available.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:58 am

Award space (AF)

Hi,
Bringing back a previous thread: trying to book AF 473 MRU-CDG (O) for Oct. 2022. Both AF and Virgin Atlantic showing O fare class available. Delta agent on the chat says nothing available. Any suggestions? Thanks

Quick update: I just spoke to a Delta agent on the phone, she put me on hold while she checked with the support desk but she said they can't see any availability either. Not sure if there are any options left.

Update 2: Since Delta site does show availability on AF 470 CDG-MRU (O) I tried searching the ticket as a return trip AF 470 / AF 473 and all of a sudden availability did show up on AF 473. Would I be able able book the ticket as a return trip and then call back Delta to cancel the outbound and reprice AF 473 as one way?

Last edited by Mister P.; Apr 24, 2022 at 1:17 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Bringing back a previous thread: trying to book AF 473 MRU-CDG (O) for Oct. 2022. Both AF and Virgin Atlantic showing O fare class available. Delta agent on the chat says nothing available. Any suggestions? Thanks

Quick update: I just spoke to a Delta agent on the phone, she put me on hold while she checked with the support desk but she said they can't see any availability either. Not sure if there are any options left.

Update 2: Since Delta site does show availability on AF 470 CDG-MRU (O) I tried searching the ticket as a return trip AF 470 / AF 473 and all of a sudden availability did show up on AF 473. Would I be able able book the ticket as a return trip and then call back Delta to cancel the outbound and reprice AF 473 as one way?
As long as there's no DL segments on ticket, yes.

There's an issue with SEZ/MRU on the return search for awards. system doesn't search correctly..
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:45 am

Thanks flyerCO. Managed to get this sorted: I asked the agent to book a return trip and then drop the first segment before ticketing. All good!
Old May 15, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I would like to book DXB to ARN on KL/AF. So far, I only found availability for DXB-AMS, which I’ve locked in because I’m worried the award space may disappear. If AMS-ARN opens up later, can I tag it on to my existing booking? Or can I only change it if there’s still additional award space for DXB-AMS as well?

And is it really true that there’s a $150 fee if I want to cancel the booking more than 24 hours after booking?!
Old May 16, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL PM
Booking on KE

Trying to use SkyMiles for 2 economy tix one way MNL-JFK. delta.dumb shows availability for a well-timed MNL-ICN-JFK itinerary. Website does the 'flight sold out' message at the last part of booking. Called into the call center to book, they saw the flights and started to ticket, then said the ICN-JFK leg wasn't actually available. Hung up. Went to expertflyer which indicated no availability on those flights. Set alert. Got alert 6 hours later showing availability. Logged into expertflyer, still showing availability. Delta.dumb also showing flight bookable (but same flight sold out message at end of ticketing workflow). Call into call center, get call back 2 hours later. Agent sees availability, starts to ticket, puts me on hold, comes back with ICN-JFK leg not actually available.

Haven't dealt with a booking like this in years, or a KE booking ever. Is phantom availability thing here? Any way to figure out definitive availability or secret words to ask the call center reps to get this thing to actually ticket?
Old May 16, 2022, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
I would like to book DXB to ARN on KL/AF. So far, I only found availability for DXB-AMS, which I’ve locked in because I’m worried the award space may disappear. If AMS-ARN opens up later, can I tag it on to my existing booking? Or can I only change it if there’s still additional award space for DXB-AMS as well?

And is it really true that there’s a $150 fee if I want to cancel the booking more than 24 hours after booking?!
Married segments are a thing now for AF/KL awards.. you'll need space just like booking a new award.

Fee applies for tickets not ex-NA/SA. HOWEVER, often agent doesn't pay attention and doesn't charge it..

Originally Posted by ghettoberry
Trying to use SkyMiles for 2 economy tix one way MNL-JFK. delta.dumb shows availability for a well-timed MNL-ICN-JFK itinerary. Website does the 'flight sold out' message at the last part of booking. Called into the call center to book, they saw the flights and started to ticket, then said the ICN-JFK leg wasn't actually available. Hung up. Went to expertflyer which indicated no availability on those flights. Set alert. Got alert 6 hours later showing availability. Logged into expertflyer, still showing availability. Delta.dumb also showing flight bookable (but same flight sold out message at end of ticketing workflow). Call into call center, get call back 2 hours later. Agent sees availability, starts to ticket, puts me on hold, comes back with ICN-JFK leg not actually available.

Haven't dealt with a booking like this in years, or a KE booking ever. Is phantom availability thing here? Any way to figure out definitive availability or secret words to ask the call center reps to get this thing to actually ticket?
Very common for KE. Have you checked Saudia flights? The YQ isn't cheap, but I've always enjoyed service.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:57 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
In the past, agents were able to book flights for me that showed up in ExpertFlyer's search. However, the last few days, I'm not able to get ahold of anyone to confirm seats in Fare Class O. They're all saying it's not possible. The flight comes up on KLM's website but I'm not sure who to trust. Is this just a phantom seat?

Last edited by SLV; May 19, 2022 at 5:45 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SLV
In the past, agents were able to book flights for me that showed up in ExpertFlyer's search. However, the last few days, I'm not able to get ahold of anyone to confirm seats in Fare Class O. They're all saying it's not possible. The flight comes up on KLM's website but I'm not sure who to trust. Is this just a phantom seat?
Does it involve a lonh/overnight layover?
Old May 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Hi, I am looking at using Delta miles for a trip to Italy. I have a couple of questions. I have no status on Delta.

1. Has Delta suspended change fees for award travel? If not what are the change fees. The only thing I can find is the $150 redeposit fees and no fees within 24 hour of booking.
2. Is Delta good at accommodating schedule changes? I am looking AF from SEA to CDG connecting to AF CDG to VCE. According to Flight Aware, the last time SEA to CDG operated was a year ago. If SEA to CDG is changed, would Delta re-accommodate us either on KLM or on Delta?

many thanks.
Old May 22, 2022, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Change/redeposit fees continue to be waived for all but Basic Economy awards (which are 9900 miles domestic, 19900 miles international). Although there are no partner Basic Economy awards (and DL has not yet offered them on it's own metal for long-haul international awards). AF SEA-CDG (AF355) has been operating since March 29th. DL can potentially open award inventory on their own flights for significant schedule changes, but not on partners. 2 hours is the CoC threshold for significant changes.
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xliioper
Change/redeposit fees continue to be waived for all but Basic Economy awards (which are 9900 miles domestic, 19900 miles international). Although there are no partner Basic Economy awards (and DL has not yet offered them on it's own metal for long-haul international awards). AF SEA-CDG (AF355) has been operating since March 29th. DL can potentially open award inventory on their own flights for significant schedule changes, but not on partners. 2 hours is the CoC threshold for significant changes.
2 hours is CoC for refund, but 60 minutes i believe is minimum for free rebooking. Also drop below MCT, change in operating carrier (including change in RJ carrier) and change of connection get free rebooking. Change of carrier (again including RJ carriers) also qualifies for refund.

Regardless, DL is usually willing to rebook for about any change IME. I've had 15 minute changes get rebooked by agents.
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
2 hours is CoC for refund, but 60 minutes i believe is minimum for free rebooking. Also drop below MCT, change in operating carrier (including change in RJ carrier) and change of connection get free rebooking. Change of carrier (again including RJ carriers) also qualifies for refund.

Regardless, DL is usually willing to rebook for about any change IME. I've had 15 minute changes get rebooked by agents.
Assuming there is a sufficient change in schedule.. Rebooking.. meaning I can change dates and route (same city pair) without additional miles? Will it depend on award availability? Will they force open an award seat to re-accommodate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.