Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 7:20 am

Ok. Thank you for documenting that. It’s Comfort Plus for us then. I thought about Premium Select but it’s too expensive for what you get.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Redemption on Virgin Australia

Hi,

Does anyone knows when is the last day to redeem skymiles on Virgin Australia?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi,

Does anyone knows when is the last day to redeem skymiles on Virgin Australia?
Effective Monday June 13, 2022, Virgin Australia will no longer be a Delta Air Lines partner. Accrual on Virgin Australia will follow the charts below through Sunday June 12, 2022. Redemption for Award Travel on Virgin Australia must be ticketed on or before June 12, 2022 and must be flown within one (1) year of the ticketing date. All other frequent flyer benefits will also only be valid through June 12, 2022.
hashim17 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Points Upgrade DL Ticket on Virgin Atlantic Metal

Been awhile, but I am trying to upgrade Q-fare ticket booked through DL on VA metal on a flight out of LHR to upgrade to Premium to sit with family. Not having much luck on-line or on the telephone, where I am being told it is not a matter of availability, but policy -- which seems to run contrary to the program rules https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../program-rules. Would be glad for anyone's thoughts!
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I've been looking at award redemptions in J around Asia and it looks dire. A simple SIN-BKK that's 25k-30k on most airlines is 80k through DL. I did find some SIN-NRT flights at 45k, but this is still poor compared to 25k through AS. Similarly, USA-Asia is often 285k on DL vs 65k on AS. (Most of my flying miles were earned when AS and DL were still partners so, yes, I'm still kicking myself for credited them to the wrong airline.)

Are there any good values left with SM at all to/from or in this region?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I've been looking at award redemptions in J around Asia and it looks dire. A simple SIN-BKK that's 25k-30k on most airlines is 80k through DL. I did find some SIN-NRT flights at 45k, but this is still poor compared to 25k through AS. Similarly, USA-Asia is often 285k on DL vs 65k on AS. (Most of my flying miles were earned when AS and DL were still partners so, yes, I'm still kicking myself for credited them to the wrong airline.)

Are there any good values left with SM at all to/from or in this region?
DL metal awards require 90-day advance purchase and a roundtrip booking to get the lowest level awards (although they will still not be cheap for J to/from Asia). Lowest-level partner awards often require a 60-day advance purchase. Advance purchase requirements are found at the Fare Rules link after you select an award. Using DL miles for domestic awards is generally a lot less of a hassle and award rates are fairly predictable (around 1.3 - 1.4 CPM).
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL metal awards require 90-day advance purchase and a roundtrip booking to get the lowest level awards (although they will still not be cheap for J to/from Asia).
SIN-BKK one-way is 80k until Oct, then no availability at all November onwards. I'd noticed the mention of round trip advantages, but that, like the 90-day advance booking, seems irrelevant on routes I've looked at. (e.g. SIN-BKK-SIN at 160k in Oct.) A predictable 1.3-1.4 cpm is as unattractive as using miles for domestic awards. (I use awards for international travel, historically averaging about 5 cpm on AS.)
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
SIN-BKK one-way is 80k until Oct, then no availability at all November onwards. I'd noticed the mention of round trip advantages, but that, like the 90-day advance booking, seems irrelevant on routes I've looked at. (e.g. SIN-BKK-SIN at 160k in Oct.) A predictable 1.3-1.4 cpm is as unattractive as using miles for domestic awards. (I use awards for international travel, historically averaging about 5 cpm on AS.)
The roundtrip booking requirement (and 90-day advance purchase requirement) for lowest level on many awards only applies Delta metal awards and SIN-BKK is not DL metal. Some, but not all, partner awards have a 60-day advance purchase requirement for lowest level awards. The 80K J awards you are seeing for SIN-BKK look to be broken fare awards and consist of separate VN SIN-SGN and SGN-BKK CSM400 40K J awards as apparently DL does not have through routing awards for SIN-BKK. The award fare construction and fare basis codes are found at the "Fare Rules" link when you price out awards. From the Fare Rules, these awards only have a 3-day advance purchase requirement.

VN revenue fares in J on SIN-BKK look to start in the $400 range, so even if you could get them for 40K miles, you are basically only getting 1 CPM in value.

DL still has J awards from Caribbean/Mexico to Europe from 65K each-way (although 85K is more common) with no roundtrip booking or advance purchase requirements. One-way revenue J fares on these routes tend start at $2K - $3K each way (while roundtrip revenue J fares tend to start at around $1.5K each-way). So, depending on how you measure "value" (do you use the one-way revenue J fares or the roundtrip ones?), these can be a good deal. The problem with measuring "value" of J awards is that you can easily pick certain days and come up with extreme examples. While DL may be charging $7.5K for J trip below, most people would never "value" it that highly (given you can get NAS-CDG from $3K one-way if you book it on other days).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 9, 2022 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:40 am

Is it still possible to stitch together DL awards? For example I see USA - France and then France - NL - South Africa. Whole thing should price at 110K. I’ve done that a long time ago wonder if phone people will still do that
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Is it still possible to stitch together DL awards? For example I see USA - France and then France - NL - South Africa. Whole thing should price at 110K. I’ve done that a long time ago wonder if phone people will still do that
Not sure where you are getting 110K mileage number from as the partner rate for US-South Africa is currently 115K miles (CSM1150 award fare basis shown below) and requires TATL segment on partner metal (it's in the Flight Application section of the Fare Rules for the award). DL metal Skymiles award levels to South Africa are completely different from partners and start at 145K and go much higher and depend on both award level bucket availability and advance purchase (there's a 90-day AP for the 145K CSV1450 DL metal awards -- plus there must also be availability in cheapest DL award bucket to get that level which books in OZ).

No, it is generally not possible to stitch together awards any more as there must be married inventory availability on the partners. Note that partner awards from US-EU have different mileage amounts depending on advance purchase (0, 21, and 60 days). The cheapest DL award on partners is now 120K miles and requires 60-day advance purchase.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 23, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Not sure where you are getting 110K mileage number from as the partner rate for US-South Africa is currently 115K miles (CSM1150 award fare basis shown below) and requires TATL segment on partner metal (it's in the Flight Application section of the Fare Rules for the award). DL metal Skymiles award levels to South Africa are completely different from partners and start at 145K and go much higher and depend on both award level bucket availability and advance purchase (there's a 90-day AP for the 145K CSV1450 DL metal awards -- plus there must also be availability in cheapest DL award bucket to get that level which books in OZ).

No, it is generally not possible to stitch together awards any more as there must be married inventory availability on the partners. Note that partner awards from US-EU have different mileage amounts depending on advance purchase (0, 21, and 60 days). The cheapest DL award on partners is now 120K miles and requires 60-day advance purchase.

Sorry, I did mean 115..
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
In desperate need of help and not sure where else to turn (chatting with Delta support and they couldn't answer my question). I used some miles I had lying around to book an award ticket consisting of two flights: the first on TAROM and the second on KLM. The Delta site let me assign my seat for the KLM flight but not the TAROM flight--so I pull up the TAROM website, punch in the confirmation code and my last name, and it says it can't find the reservation. So I try the same thing on the KLM website. Also no dice. So at this point it seems like the only airline with any record of my ticket is delta, which won't be much use since none of the flights actually involve them. So I guess I have three questions:
- how can I get a seat assignment for the TAROM flight?
- is there any way to manage the ticket through TAROM/KLM or at least verify that the award ticket actually exists? Cause so far I can't even get the TAROM or KLM sites to acknowledge I even have a ticket
- how do I find out the confirmation code I'll need to use to checkin with TAROM when it's actually time to fly

also a little factoid as a pre-thank you for helping me out: my destination airport is Helsinki, and the airport code for Helsinki is HEL. When you call delta support and it asks you about your upcoming trip it pronounces the airport code, so when I called for help Delta asked "Are you calling about your upcoming trip to hell?". just some mild entertainment

Last edited by ItsAnAdam; Mar 29, 2022 at 12:28 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You'll need to call DL and ask for the RO PNR. Once have this Cavanagh the TAROM flight. If flying business and on 737 You'll get actual business class seats. However they were only serving water even for J on OTP-AMS last time I flew.

The DL PNR should work on KLM website/app
ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:07 pm

Hi! Newbie poster here.

I've got my first ever DL-coded, AF operated RT coming up JFKCDG in Premium Economy. I'm DM and not expecting a comp upg, but I'd love to buyup to J if it's a decent deal. Do I need to check in on the AF app instead of the DL app in hopes of an offer? Can I assume that I won't get any MQDs on a buy up (above and beyond my ticketed fare MQDs on a DL flight number).

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjbogart
Hi! Newbie poster here.

I've got my first ever DL-coded, AF operated RT coming up JFKCDG in Premium Economy. I'm DM and not expecting a comp upg, but I'd love to buyup to J if it's a decent deal. Do I need to check in on the AF app instead of the DL app in hopes of an offer? Can I assume that I won't get any MQDs on a buy up (above and beyond my ticketed fare MQDs on a DL flight number).

Thanks!
DL won't offer FCM upgrade offers online on AF metal flights. Don't see any change of AF offering anything with a DL coded flight. Since you are booked in Premium Economy, I'd suggest calling DL and asking about availability of Mileage Upgrade Awards. These can't be booked online and can only be processed by an agent and will likely be best opportunity for an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.