Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Assuming there is a sufficient change in schedule.. Rebooking.. meaning I can change dates and route (same city pair) without additional miles? Will it depend on award availability? Will they force open an award seat to re-accommodate?
Rebooking will be free,no additional charges. As an award, DL can rebook on any DL flight, but can only book partner metal if partner has released award seats.
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:11 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
It doesn't. This is so frustrating. I was able to book OW via KLM but I'm hoping to burn my SkyPesos for the way back. I can see the flight on KLM's website and ExpertFlyer but no one seems to be able to find it at the DL site. Tried explaining to folks they may need to long sell but they all don't know what that means.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SLV
It doesn't. This is so frustrating. I was able to book OW via KLM but I'm hoping to burn my SkyPesos for the way back. I can see the flight on KLM's website and ExpertFlyer but no one seems to be able to find it at the DL site. Tried explaining to folks they may need to long sell but they all don't know what that means.
It must be seen from DL website, not KLM. Partners don't release all award seats to partners.

What dates/flights?
Old May 24, 2022, 2:41 pm
SLV

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It must be seen from DL website, not KLM. Partners don't release all award seats to partners.

What dates/flights?
I see. I always thought Fare Class X or O meant all SkyTeam members can book the award. It was for flight VN 098 and VN 099 SFO-SGN.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SLV
I see. I always thought Fare Class X or O meant all SkyTeam members can book the award. It was for flight VN 098 and VN 099 SFO-SGN.
Never mentioned VN. If you see VN award on KLM site then one of 2 things.

1)Phantom inventory- its not really there to be booked.

2)DL system isn't setup to see the SFO-SGN flight and/or no DL fare rule has been built to allow booking it.

Long selling isn't needed with VN, as long as space is real. Only KQ awards require a form of long selling.

As for your comment about X or O. Not all use X or O and regardless, airlines make more seats available to their own program, than to partners.
Old May 25, 2022, 12:04 pm
SLV

Never mentioned VN. If you see VN award on KLM site then one of 2 things.

1)Phantom inventory- its not really there to be booked.

2)DL system isn't setup to see the SFO-SGN flight and/or no DL fare rule has been built to allow booking it.

Long selling isn't needed with VN, as long as space is real. Only KQ awards require a form of long selling.

As for your comment about X or O. Not all use X or O and regardless, airlines make more seats available to their own program, than to partners.
I can confirm it's not phantom. I tried a few more times by phone. The last one was supposedly selling it manually but she said the seats wouldn't "confirm" in either X or O. I gave up and booked in X via KLM and the seats confirmed. I was able to call VN and select seats. It's very likely DL's system isn't updated with the new flight from VN yet.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I bought a couple AF business seats as a DL reward for me and Mrs FTF a few days ago - actually, first AF, then continuing to EuroBusiness on Hop. A few details if they matter - it's quite some time out (2023), I'm a DL Plat, and there's a brief first flight on DL.

I didn't have any problem seeing an AF seat map when I was selecting flights, and on the HOP flight it said it wouldn't be displayed now but I could select seats on my flights.

But now that I've bought the seats (and waited a few days), I can't see either AF seat map on DL.com, and on my receipt I see the status is shown as "ARPT." Does this mean I can't select seats until the airport? We really don't want to see how far apart we can be randomly placed on a 777-300ER business cabin.

Anyone have insight or experience with this? Many thanks.

FTF
Old May 28, 2022, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
I bought a couple AF business seats as a DL reward for me and Mrs FTF a few days ago - actually, first AF, then continuing to EuroBusiness on Hop. A few details if they matter - it's quite some time out (2023), I'm a DL Plat, and there's a brief first flight on DL.

I didn't have any problem seeing an AF seat map when I was selecting flights, and on the HOP flight it said it wouldn't be displayed now but I could select seats on my flights.

But now that I've bought the seats (and waited a few days), I can't see either AF seat map on DL.com, and on my receipt I see the status is shown as "ARPT." Does this mean I can't select seats until the airport? We really don't want to see how far apart we can be randomly placed on a 777-300ER business cabin.

Anyone have insight or experience with this? Many thanks.

FTF
It's too far out for seat assignments on HOP most likely. ARPT just means coupon is available for airport control. Nothing to do with seats/reservations.

Pull up reservation on AF.com or in AF/KL app (use the DL PNR) You may be able to assign seats there.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
ARPT seems to be correlated with partner segments

Some prior threads:

ARPT status on updated flight receipt?

ARPT Coupon Status

It's too far out for seat assignments on HOP most likely. ARPT just means coupon is available for airport control. Nothing to do with seats/reservations.

Pull up reservation on AF.com or in AF/KL app (use the DL PNR) You may be able to assign seats there.
Just be careful not to pull it up at AF or KL while logged in to a FlyingBlue account, if this is a paid (non-award) ticket that you want credited to DL. I always do this in an incognito window for extra paranoia.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks, flyerCO and Zorak. I was indeed able to pull up my reservation on the AF site and select seats using my Delta PNR/confirmation number, which surprised me, based on previous alliance partner experiences, but hey, that's great! Thanks again.

FTF
Zorak likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:09 am

I'd like to use miles for a RT from YVR to the Philippines in business. I have no concrete plans, I'm just playing with dates.

What's the minimum number of miles this trip could cost? I think 330K?

I understand this will involve flying through ICN at least part of the way on KE, which is great. But all choices I see involve flying YVR-XXX-ICN-ZZZ, where XXX is an American city and YVR-XXX and usually XXX-ICN are on DL metal. KE flies YVR-ICN. Is it ever possible to book YVR-ICN-ZZZ using DL miles?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Marty McFly
I'd like to use miles for a RT from YVR to the Philippines in business. I have no concrete plans, I'm just playing with dates.

What's the minimum number of miles this trip could cost? I think 330K?

I understand this will involve flying through ICN at least part of the way on KE, which is great. But all choices I see involve flying YVR-XXX-ICN-ZZZ, where XXX is an American city and YVR-XXX and usually XXX-ICN are on DL metal. KE flies YVR-ICN. Is it ever possible to book YVR-ICN-ZZZ using DL miles?
KE release very few seats to partners for award bookings, especially on long haul flights.. (DL does the same)
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
KE release very few seats to partners for award bookings, especially on long haul flights.. (DL does the same)
IME now at 331 days out you are lucky if there are 3~5 days (out of 331) with one O seat available on KE. Now it is totally random.

Long gone are the days of 1O/2X released at T-331, when only Fri-Sun were blacked out, as were the KE published blackout dates (blacked out by DL, though KE released availability).
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Feel like I should know this

Booked a SM tix for a family member. They can no more than you on the trip. Want to change the ticket over to another family number. Is there anyway to avoid having to cancel and rebook it? As you can imagine redemption level has gone up significantly.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Feel like I should know this

Booked a SM tix for a family member. They can no more than you on the trip. Want to change the ticket over to another family number. Is there anyway to avoid having to cancel and rebook it? As you can imagine redemption level has gone up significantly.
No.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.