Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:21 am

Programs: Diamond DL
thank you spin2nd
here is my UPDATE
-contacted via whatapp the EL dorado lounge, they say no alliance with Aeromexico
-Skyteam page shows eldorado as a Skyteam Lounge for AM and Aireurope business and Skyteam Elite members
-Aeromexico customer twitter support reply : no lounge in BOG

in the Airport:
Flight was on tuesday from BOG to MEX,
when i went to the aeromexico skypriority to drop baggage, they told i can enter LATAM lounge free, me and my friend flying with me
So i went to LATAM lounge and we entered both without any quiestion,only showing our bp
I don't know if i did enter because of skyteam elite+ or because of delta/latam partnership (i am DM delta)
At the gate i was upgraded business . The plane was totally full. They told me "we know you are flying with another person but really sorry plane was full and only one place"
They gave me the boarding pass 1A, took a photo of it , and then i gave it back telling i want to remain in my seat with my friend
So they upgraded another person few minutes later
spin2nd likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Any reason why some bounds are not bookable with Skymiles? Searching for JNB-AMS (KL direct) gives no results on any dates while there are plenty options on AMS-JNB.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Any reason why some bounds are not bookable with Skymiles? Searching for JNB-AMS (KL direct) gives no results on any dates while there are plenty options on AMS-JNB.
There is award availability on JNB-AMS, it is just very limited. delta.com will generate an error if there is no availability within a +-3 day window of your selected date and since there are so few flights with availability, you have to do quite a bit of searching to find dates.

Old May 5, 2024, 3:53 am
Original Member

Westjet: Are the 12.5k awards single-segment only? (i.e. only DTW-YYC/YVR)?
Old May 5, 2024, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamiel
Westjet: Are the 12.5k awards single-segment only? (i.e. only DTW-YYC/YVR)?
I'm seeing some DTW-LAX-YYC/YVR itins with DL/WS metal pricing as WS awards (but don't see any with multiple WS segments). There's nothing in Flight Application section that requires a single WS flight, but they may not offer any such routes to DL for Skymiles awards. If you want to do something like DTW-YYC-YVR with a stopover, those would have to be multiple awards anyway as Skymiles awards don't allow for stopovers.

Don't know if this is new, but there are now three WS award levels. The 12.5K WS awards (YSMH125) have a 60 day AP. There are also 21 day AP awards (YSMG150) for 15K miles, and awards with no AP (YSM175) for 17.5K miles. As with other partners, since it only has a single award class/bucket (V for WS), award pricing is entirely driven by AP and potentially other fare rule requirements in awards (however, unlike other partners where DL has harmonized DL and partners award levels to/from US/Canada, DL still has separate award levels for WS).

Here's an example of WS offering multi-segment itins to DL. It ultimately comes down to partner offering married segment award availability.

Last edited by xliioper; May 5, 2024 at 7:23 am
Old May 19, 2024, 7:31 pm

Programs: Diamond DL
hello, this year i did 3 award AM flights and always got upgraded
but last time, when i was upgraded at the gate, the ticket number was changed to 139... and not 006
so i dind't get the MQD nor million miles
any idea what happened?
what is strange is that my friend flying with me (no skymiles status) in the same booking, and upgraded with me, had the BP with the original 006 ticket number
Old May 22, 2024, 6:05 am

Has anyone made a successful booking on WestJet using Delta miles recently? I tried to test book 5 dates JFK -> YYC that were all showing as available but the reservation always through an error, I wonder if it's impossible to book WestJet using miles now...
Old May 22, 2024, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Here’s a bit of a strange one. I’m booked to fly HND to TSA, then TPE to HKG with a 6 hour layover (all in J). I want to change that to HND to TSA, and then TPE to PVG. There’s availability on the CI flight from TPE to PVG in J, but none on the HND to TSA flight besides the fact that I have 2 award seats on it currently.

When I booked the flight, I needed an agent to piece the flights together since the site was erroring out (what a surprise lol). The agent just told me I could only fly CZ from NRT nonstop in Y, but not on the desired routing. Should I keep HUCAing till I get an agent who can figure this out, or should I cancel my current flights, hope the seats go into inventory, and then call and get new tickets booked?
Old May 24, 2024, 12:57 am

Posted this in another thread as well.

We are planning to fly from SFO-MEX on Aeromexico and redeeming miles. There will be three of us. I am Diamond. The other two are Silver and no status. What's the best strategy for getting us upgraded. We are okay if the best strategy results in splitting up our reservations and not all of us get upgraded. From what I read on the Delta website, it looks like -
  • One travel companion who is a SkyMiles Member traveling on the same flight in the same reservation as a Medallion Member is eligible for the complimentary upgrade.
And in terms of upgrade priority -
  • Eligible upgrades will clear based on the lowest status in the PNR
So I'm thinking we make two reservations. I make one reservation with the person who has no status. The person that is Silver makes their own reservation. Based on this I think all three of us have a chance to be upgraded with myself and the no status companion having the highest probability and then the Silver by themselves having a lower probability. But what is throwing me off is the part about "lowest status in the PNR" for upgrade priority. Because I am booking with someone who has no status does that mean that our upgrade priority would be the lowest or would it be based on my Diamond status. If I am being bumped down to the bottom I would just make my own reservation to preserve the Diamond upgrade priority.
Old May 24, 2024, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by alluu
Posted this in another thread as well.

We are planning to fly from SFO-MEX on Aeromexico and redeeming miles. There will be three of us. I am Diamond. The other two are Silver and no status. What's the best strategy for getting us upgraded. We are okay if the best strategy results in splitting up our reservations and not all of us get upgraded. From what I read on the Delta website, it looks like -
  • One travel companion who is a SkyMiles Member traveling on the same flight in the same reservation as a Medallion Member is eligible for the complimentary upgrade.
And in terms of upgrade priority -
  • Eligible upgrades will clear based on the lowest status in the PNR
So I'm thinking we make two reservations. I make one reservation with the person who has no status. The person that is Silver makes their own reservation. Based on this I think all three of us have a chance to be upgraded with myself and the no status companion having the highest probability and then the Silver by themselves having a lower probability. But what is throwing me off is the part about "lowest status in the PNR" for upgrade priority. Because I am booking with someone who has no status does that mean that our upgrade priority would be the lowest or would it be based on my Diamond status. If I am being bumped down to the bottom I would just make my own reservation to preserve the Diamond upgrade priority.
As long as there is only one other passenger on reservation, then upgrades will be at window of the passenger with highest status. (Note if the 2nd passenger is not a Medallion, they still must have a Skymiles number in reservation for upgrades to work like this.)

If there's more than 2 passengers in reservation than upgrades are per the status of lowest person. (If no status passenger is in reservation, this means no upgrades, for anyone)
Old Jun 11, 2024, 5:11 am

I am booked on JFK-CDG on Delta metal that I booked with Flying Blue miles. I am a gold medallion and all my elite benefits are pulling through (i.e. Medallion seat selection). Do you know if I will be able to do a same day change if we want to try and change our flight time?
Old Jun 11, 2024, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajg1002
I am booked on JFK-CDG on Delta metal that I booked with Flying Blue miles. I am a gold medallion and all my elite benefits are pulling through (i.e. Medallion seat selection). Do you know if I will be able to do a same day change if we want to try and change our flight time?
No. Same-day change is not available on international flights other than to/from Canada. Standby is also not available on international flights -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change
  • You can use the Same-Day Confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights. It is not available for international flights.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 11, 2024 at 8:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.