Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:54 am

LATAM schedule change

I booked LAX-SCL nonstop on LATAM for January 2023, but it seems that after a recent schedule change, the flight is no longer operating on Saturdays. We were automatically rebooked for a day earlier (Friday), but that doesn't work for us, and we would prefer to be rebooked for a day later (Sunday). Unfortunately, there's currently no award availability for the Sunday flight. I know it's a long shot, but what are the chances that Delta can have LATAM open availability to move us to the Sunday flight? Wondering if it's worth the effort to pursue this...
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aabbcc
I booked LAX-SCL nonstop on LATAM for January 2023, but it seems that after a recent schedule change, the flight is no longer operating on Saturdays. We were automatically rebooked for a day earlier (Friday), but that doesn't work for us, and we would prefer to be rebooked for a day later (Sunday). Unfortunately, there's currently no award availability for the Sunday flight. I know it's a long shot, but what are the chances that Delta can have LATAM open availability to move us to the Sunday flight? Wondering if it's worth the effort to pursue this...
Will not happen. LATAM CS is awful. They don't even know their own policies..
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Will not happen. LATAM CS is awful. They don't even know their own policies..
Thanks, I figured it was unlikely given all the horror stories I've read about LATAM CS.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Redeem skymiles on stacked itinerary

Hi,

Is it possible to do skymiles redemption on partner airline (korean air) on all legs of the itinerary. the routing is listed below

SIN - ICN
GMP - PUS
PUS - CJU
CJU - GMP
ICN - SIN
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi,

Is it possible to do skymiles redemption on partner airline (korean air) on all legs of the itinerary. the routing is listed below

SIN - ICN
GMP - PUS
PUS - CJU
CJU - GMP
ICN - SIN
Yes, as long as KE makes seats available/ they haven't been booked. KE is known for being very stingy with award seat availability.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Trying to book ITA flight using SkyMiles and the clueless DM phone agent told me to call the airline directly?! LOL as of ITA accepts SkyMiles to pay for its flights. The phone and message agents are getting so bad with Delta. They used to be so good. Now we can’t even call the Singapore line for help where at least they’re knowledgeable.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
HI,
Thanks for the advice. However, i was only to book the international (SIN-ICN) and domestic segments (GMP - PUS, PUS - CJU, CJU - GMP) on separate bookings.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Sorry, posted prematurely and can't delete the post (content removed)

Last edited by maxmin; Jul 14, 2022 at 5:24 pm Reason: mistake
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I am new to DL Skymiles and the whole Sky Team alliance. I found an award on DL flying on KL that is cheaper on DL than it is on Flying Blue. I am keen to book it asap because surrounding dates on KL website are more expensive. Not sure if there is some reason the date I want is cheaper.

I am confused about "non-refundable" vs basic economy vs main cabin. If I need to cancel the award ticket on KL will DL refund my miles and taxes paid?

What if I simply want to change the date?

Also, I expect to have Flying Blue silver via a credit card in a couple of months. Can I use this status when checking in or booking seats?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tiki
I am new to DL Skymiles and the whole Sky Team alliance. I found an award on DL flying on KL that is cheaper on DL than it is on Flying Blue. I am keen to book it asap because surrounding dates on KL website are more expensive. Not sure if there is some reason the date I want is cheaper.

I am confused about "non-refundable" vs basic economy vs main cabin. If I need to cancel the award ticket on KL will DL refund my miles and taxes paid?

Also, I expect to have Flying Blue silver via a credit card in a couple of months. Can I use this status when checking in or booking seats?
I'm confused. You book via program miles you want to use, not want to fly.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

If you book a flight using DL SkyMiles, then DL's cancellation/change rules apply, even if the flight is operated by KL.

As long as you don't buy basic economy, you can cancel for a full refund of miles and taxes.

No fee for the change itself, but you will need to pay any difference in fare (miles). This works both ways -- if fewer miles are required you will get the difference refunded (this is true even if you are keeping the exact same flights)

Generally no, you have to use the benefits of the program whose "currency" you used to book the trip (this may be different on other alliances but I believe this to be true for SkyTeam anyway)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you book a flight using DL SkyMiles, then DL's cancellation/change rules apply, even if the flight is operated by KL.

As long as you don't buy basic economy, you can cancel for a full refund of miles and taxes.

No fee for the change itself, but you will need to pay any difference in fare (miles). This works both ways -- if fewer miles are required you will get the difference refunded (this is true even if you are keeping the exact same flights)

Generally no, you have to use the benefits of the program whose "currency" you used to book the trip (this may be different on other alliances but I believe this to be true for SkyTeam anyway)
Thanks. I went ahead and booked it because the week before all the saver award levels are sold out and I don't want to lose this redemption. DL did offer the option to book seats at a fee on the KLM metal flights. I held off on this, hoping better options would be available with Flying Blue silver. I haven't had status on any airline since 2009 when I did an AA challenge. So I was thinking I could get better seats for free and maybe lounge access but I don't think Flying Blue silver gives this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:20 am

I am trying to book Virgin atlantic flight using Delta skymiles for BOM - SEA in march 23. I see award availability on virgin's website but I do not see on Delta. Does virgin restrict some award availability or I would have to just call in to see if Delta can do over the phone?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cooldave
I am trying to book Virgin atlantic flight using Delta skymiles for BOM - SEA in march 23. I see award availability on virgin's website but I do not see on Delta. Does virgin restrict some award availability or I would have to just call in to see if Delta can do over the phone?
Airlines don't release all their seats to partners for awards. If not seen on dl.com you can't book with Skymiles.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Combining two KE legs into one itinerary

I've found prestige availabilty w/ Skymiles for two flights - SFO-ICN & ICN-SYD. I called and tried to get them to book it as one itinerary but they were unable to. Has anyone had success with this? The layover is 75 min so need it to be on the same one as I'll have a checked bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.