Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:54 am
  #181  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
LATAM schedule change

I booked LAX-SCL nonstop on LATAM for January 2023, but it seems that after a recent schedule change, the flight is no longer operating on Saturdays. We were automatically rebooked for a day earlier (Friday), but that doesn't work for us, and we would prefer to be rebooked for a day later (Sunday). Unfortunately, there's currently no award availability for the Sunday flight. I know it's a long shot, but what are the chances that Delta can have LATAM open availability to move us to the Sunday flight? Wondering if it's worth the effort to pursue this...
aabbcc is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:00 pm
  #182  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,614
Originally Posted by aabbcc
I booked LAX-SCL nonstop on LATAM for January 2023, but it seems that after a recent schedule change, the flight is no longer operating on Saturdays. We were automatically rebooked for a day earlier (Friday), but that doesn't work for us, and we would prefer to be rebooked for a day later (Sunday). Unfortunately, there's currently no award availability for the Sunday flight. I know it's a long shot, but what are the chances that Delta can have LATAM open availability to move us to the Sunday flight? Wondering if it's worth the effort to pursue this...
Will not happen. LATAM CS is awful. They don't even know their own policies..
flyerCO is online now  
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:12 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Will not happen. LATAM CS is awful. They don't even know their own policies..
Thanks, I figured it was unlikely given all the horror stories I've read about LATAM CS.
aabbcc is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:12 am
  #184  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Singapore
Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Posts: 55
Redeem skymiles on stacked itinerary

Hi,

Is it possible to do skymiles redemption on partner airline (korean air) on all legs of the itinerary. the routing is listed below

SIN - ICN
GMP - PUS
PUS - CJU
CJU - GMP
ICN - SIN
hashim17 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:04 pm
  #185  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,614
Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi,

Is it possible to do skymiles redemption on partner airline (korean air) on all legs of the itinerary. the routing is listed below

SIN - ICN
GMP - PUS
PUS - CJU
CJU - GMP
ICN - SIN
Yes, as long as KE makes seats available/ they haven't been booked. KE is known for being very stingy with award seat availability.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:04 pm
  #186  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 11,879
Trying to book ITA flight using SkyMiles and the clueless DM phone agent told me to call the airline directly?! LOL as of ITA accepts SkyMiles to pay for its flights. The phone and message agents are getting so bad with Delta. They used to be so good. Now we can’t even call the Singapore line for help where at least they’re knowledgeable.
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:37 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Singapore
Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Posts: 55
HI,
Thanks for the advice. However, i was only to book the international (SIN-ICN) and domestic segments (GMP - PUS, PUS - CJU, CJU - GMP) on separate bookings.
hashim17 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:28 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SFO
Programs: VS Gold
Posts: 1,150
Sorry, posted prematurely and can't delete the post (content removed)

Last edited by maxmin; Jul 14, 2022 at 6:24 pm Reason: mistake
maxmin is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:53 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Posts: 2,864
I am new to DL Skymiles and the whole Sky Team alliance. I found an award on DL flying on KL that is cheaper on DL than it is on Flying Blue. I am keen to book it asap because surrounding dates on KL website are more expensive. Not sure if there is some reason the date I want is cheaper.

I am confused about "non-refundable" vs basic economy vs main cabin. If I need to cancel the award ticket on KL will DL refund my miles and taxes paid?

What if I simply want to change the date?

Also, I expect to have Flying Blue silver via a credit card in a couple of months. Can I use this status when checking in or booking seats?
Tiki is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:43 am
  #190  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,614
Originally Posted by Tiki
I am new to DL Skymiles and the whole Sky Team alliance. I found an award on DL flying on KL that is cheaper on DL than it is on Flying Blue. I am keen to book it asap because surrounding dates on KL website are more expensive. Not sure if there is some reason the date I want is cheaper.

I am confused about "non-refundable" vs basic economy vs main cabin. If I need to cancel the award ticket on KL will DL refund my miles and taxes paid?

What if I simply want to change the date?

Also, I expect to have Flying Blue silver via a credit card in a couple of months. Can I use this status when checking in or booking seats?
I'm confused. You book via program miles you want to use, not want to fly.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:53 am
  #191  
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WAS
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Posts: 18,681
Originally Posted by Tiki
I am new to DL Skymiles and the whole Sky Team alliance. I found an award on DL flying on KL that is cheaper on DL than it is on Flying Blue. I am keen to book it asap because surrounding dates on KL website are more expensive. Not sure if there is some reason the date I want is cheaper.

I am confused about "non-refundable" vs basic economy vs main cabin. If I need to cancel the award ticket on KL will DL refund my miles and taxes paid?
If you book a flight using DL SkyMiles, then DL's cancellation/change rules apply, even if the flight is operated by KL.

As long as you don't buy basic economy, you can cancel for a full refund of miles and taxes.

Originally Posted by Tiki
What if I simply want to change the date?
No fee for the change itself, but you will need to pay any difference in fare (miles). This works both ways -- if fewer miles are required you will get the difference refunded (this is true even if you are keeping the exact same flights)

Originally Posted by Tiki
Also, I expect to have Flying Blue silver via a credit card in a couple of months. Can I use this status when checking in or booking seats?
Generally no, you have to use the benefits of the program whose "currency" you used to book the trip (this may be different on other alliances but I believe this to be true for SkyTeam anyway)
Zorak is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Posts: 2,864
Originally Posted by Zorak
If you book a flight using DL SkyMiles, then DL's cancellation/change rules apply, even if the flight is operated by KL.

As long as you don't buy basic economy, you can cancel for a full refund of miles and taxes.



No fee for the change itself, but you will need to pay any difference in fare (miles). This works both ways -- if fewer miles are required you will get the difference refunded (this is true even if you are keeping the exact same flights)



Generally no, you have to use the benefits of the program whose "currency" you used to book the trip (this may be different on other alliances but I believe this to be true for SkyTeam anyway)
Thanks. I went ahead and booked it because the week before all the saver award levels are sold out and I don't want to lose this redemption. DL did offer the option to book seats at a fee on the KLM metal flights. I held off on this, hoping better options would be available with Flying Blue silver. I haven't had status on any airline since 2009 when I did an AA challenge. So I was thinking I could get better seats for free and maybe lounge access but I don't think Flying Blue silver gives this.
Tiki is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:20 am
  #193  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 11
I am trying to book Virgin atlantic flight using Delta skymiles for BOM - SEA in march 23. I see award availability on virgin's website but I do not see on Delta. Does virgin restrict some award availability or I would have to just call in to see if Delta can do over the phone?
Cooldave is offline  
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:10 pm
  #194  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,614
Originally Posted by Cooldave
I am trying to book Virgin atlantic flight using Delta skymiles for BOM - SEA in march 23. I see award availability on virgin's website but I do not see on Delta. Does virgin restrict some award availability or I would have to just call in to see if Delta can do over the phone?
Airlines don't release all their seats to partners for awards. If not seen on dl.com you can't book with Skymiles.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:42 am
  #195  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SFO
Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 46
Combining two KE legs into one itinerary

I've found prestige availabilty w/ Skymiles for two flights - SFO-ICN & ICN-SYD. I called and tried to get them to book it as one itinerary but they were unable to. Has anyone had success with this? The layover is 75 min so need it to be on the same one as I'll have a checked bag.
pmfc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.