Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrdovenb
Thoroughly confused here. I’d like to book MSP -> JRO on July 31 in Premium Comfort/Premium Select using miles. There is one option (call it “option A”) that is entirely on KLM metal. There is another option (call it “option B”) that is Delta Metal for the MSP -> AMS leg and KLM metal for the AMS -> JRO leg. Option A prices just fine. Option B won’t even price at all (not even additive). I’m *mostly” certain that all of the segments are available if booked independently, though the AMS - > JRO segment can’t be booked on delta.com even if paying $$$. The MSP -> AMS segments for both Options A and B are available for the same mile price if booked stand-alone, so that isn’t the issue. So here are my two questions:

1) is this occurring simply because of the mixing and matching of delta/KLM metal, or is it married segment logic, or is it just crappy IT; and
2) what is the “low miles rate” booking code for the new premium comfort class on KLM and is it visible on Expert Flyer? I know coach is “X” and business is “O”
Almost certainly married segment availability issues. Also, not all awards can be combined in broken fare fashion. Awards have fare rules just like revenue fares (found at "Fare Rules" link when pricing them out) and there are certain awards that do not allow for booking together with other awards as noted in their Combinability section on end-on-end combinations.

Also, Delta has different award levels depending on seasonality and roundtrip vs. one-way bookings. High season for JRO (from fare rules) is shown below. One-way awards in PE during high season are 170K miles (PST1700 awards), while roundtrip awards are 145K miles (PSTR1450 awards) each way for MSP-JRO. The 'R' in the fare basis code indicates the roundtrip booking requirement. These particular roundtrip awards have a 7 day min stay requirement and a 14 day advance purchase requirement (shown in fare rules). This is all part of recent DL/partner award harmonization. Previously, flights involving partner metal over the Altantic Ocean would be priced with different award levels and did not require roundtrip bookings for cheapest levels (unlike many DL metal award levels). There were only 3 different levels for partner awards based on an advance purchase of 0, 21, and 60 days, but they did not otherwise have seasonal or roundtrip booking award levels (some partners have blackout date periods though). Note that the harmonization only impacts ex-US/Canada awards. Mexico/Caribbean, for example, still have separate partner levels for TATL and TPAC awards.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Thanks Xliioper. Let me try to be more succinct, since this isn’t really what I was trying to learn.

1) is there are booking class for KLM PE Awards that I can see on expert flyer (similar to the “o” and “x” booking class for business and coach, respectively)?
2) does it make sense that literally 100% of the award trips from MSP -> JRO (one stop only) for the next year are entirely on KLM metal? I could not find a single award trip in any class where the TATL was on Delta metal.

Last edited by mrdovenb; Dec 17, 2022 at 1:41 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Xliioper. Let me try to be more succinct, since this isn’t really what I was trying to learn.

1) is there are booking class for KLM PE Awards that I can see on expert flyer (similar to the “o” and “x” booking class for business and coach, respectively)?
2) does it make sense that literally 100% of the award trips from MSP -> JRO (one stop only) for the next year are entirely on KLM metal? I could not find a single award trip in any class where the TATL was on Delta metal.
EF won't tell you anything about what award space KLM has released to DL (it's only the inventory available for FB redemptions) and is basically useless here. No, not surprised that DL is greatly limiting married inventory availability on DL160 to JRO. They seem to be limiting it pretty heavily across system to JRO on DL metal. DTW also looks to have no married availability on either DL132 or DL134 flights to JRO, so it's not just a MSP thing. Rev management seems to have other ideas for these flights other than offering award space on them to JRO. I do see some dates with availability through SLC, SEA, and ATL on DL metal. For this particular route, they actually seem more restrictive with releasing any Coach award availability over PE and J awards (C+ awards and cash fares aren't available on this route as KL does not have a bookable equivalent on it's flights as it's Economy Comfort seats are not a separate bookable class).

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2022 at 3:02 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thoroughly confused here. Id like to book MSP -> JRO on July 31 in Premium Comfort/Premium Select using miles. There is one option (call it option A) that is entirely on KLM metal. There is another option (call it option B) that is Delta Metal for the MSP -> AMS leg and KLM metal for the AMS -> JRO leg. Option A prices just fine. Option B wont even price at all (not even additive). Im *mostly certain that all of the segments are available if booked independently, though the AMS - > JRO segment cant be booked on delta.com even if paying $$$. The MSP -> AMS segments for both Options A and B are available for the same mile price if booked stand-alone, so that isnt the issue. So here are my two questions:

1) is this occurring simply because of the mixing and matching of delta/KLM metal, or is it married segment logic, or is it just crappy IT; and
2) what is the low miles rate booking code for the new premium comfort class on KLM and is it visible on Expert Flyer? I know coach is X and business is O
How long is connection at AMS for option B? There's a long known issue with pricing and lengthy connections at AMS. If it's over 12 hours, but under 24, it's a valid connection. However it won't price correctly unless DL agent manually enters the flights and waits for response from KLM. (Basically longsell the flights) They'll know right away if KLM confirms it or not.

for example CPT-AMS-AUS (on days where KLM operates 2 nonstop to/from CPT) DL (nor GDS) won't show the option for the morning CPT-AMS flight. Not for cash or award. It's a valid connection but is very long. It'll only show the midnight CPT-AMS flight with 1 hour connection. You'll have to call in to book the morning flight, and DL agent will have to basically longsell it. It'll come back confirmed, even though will never show up via normal simple search of flights.

For cash you can simply book directly with KLM, their system will offer it for sale. However for award you must book through airline the miles are from. Therefore you'll need an agent that knows how to book the longer AMS connection.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How long is connection at AMS for option B? There's a long known issue with pricing and lengthy connections at AMS. If it's over 12 hours, but under 24, it's a valid connection. However it won't price correctly unless DL agent manually enters the flights and waits for response from KLM. (Basically longsell the flights) They'll know right away if KLM confirms it or not.

for example CPT-AMS-AUS (on days where KLM operates 2 nonstop to/from CPT) DL (nor GDS) won't show the option for the morning CPT-AMS flight. Not for cash or award. It's a valid connection but is very long. It'll only show the midnight CPT-AMS flight with 1 hour connection. You'll have to call in to book the morning flight, and DL agent will have to basically longsell it. It'll come back confirmed, even though will never show up via normal simple search of flights.

For cash you can simply book directly with KLM, their system will offer it for sale. However for award you must book through airline the miles are from. Therefore you'll need an agent that knows how to book the longer AMS connection.
The connections from DL160 on MSP-AMS and DL132/DL134 on DTW-AMS are within MCT (for revenue fares at least) and DL does offer those flights on revenue fares. DL just doesn't seem to want to offer those flights on award tickets connecting to JRO.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
The connections from DL160 on MSP-AMS and DL132/DL134 on DTW-AMS are within MCT (for revenue fares at least) and DL does offer those flights on revenue fares. DL just doesn't seem to want to offer those flights on award tickets connecting to JRO.
Yeah, under 6 hours is definitely not issue of long connection. Without flight numbers or times, the only other thing I could think of.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles
Is there a way to transfer 50K+ Delta Skymiles to Westjet Dollars? I understand I can book westjet codeshared flights through Delta but is there any way to simply transfer the balance to combine it with our Westjet Dollars.

Also is there a tool where I can easily look up the cost in miles for Delta flights to any destination like YEG to North America similar to google flights but would show the cost in miles?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Slayarj
Is there a way to transfer 50K+ Delta Skymiles to Westjet Dollars? I understand I can book westjet codeshared flights through Delta but is there any way to simply transfer the balance to combine it with our Westjet Dollars.

Also is there a tool where I can easily look up the cost in miles for Delta flights to any destination like YEG to North America similar to google flights but would show the cost in miles?
No and No. Miles can be used for any WS flights, as long as WS is offering it to partners to book. You book through DL award search.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cancel award booking on Virgin Atlantic without penalty as Platinum?

I'm DL Plat. I'm hoping to book award travel on Virgin Atlantic. Can I later cancel and have miles redeposited without penalty?

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:49 pm

Comfort + on Award Travel for DL Plat

I'm DL Plat. Does access to Comfort + on international award travel work the same way as on paid domestic? That is, can I book in economy and then I can immediately log in to My Trips and choose Comfort + seats for myself and my wife?

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mglvrug
I'm DL Plat. I'm hoping to book award travel on Virgin Atlantic. Can I later cancel and have miles redeposited without penalty?
If you book using SkyMiles, the DL cancellation rules apply, so yes.

Originally Posted by mglvrug
I'm DL Plat. Does access to Comfort + on international award travel work the same way as on paid domestic? That is, can I book in economy and then I can immediately log in to My Trips and choose Comfort + seats for myself and my wife?
Also yes (provided there is C+ upgrade inventory available, but that is true on domestic flights also)
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:19 am

Thanks so much, Zorak!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska
Booking a round trip to Peru using DL miles on LATAM metal. DL search engine shows availability on LAX-LIM-CUS however won't let me book (when confirming payment) with a "flight sold out" error.

So I booked LAX-LIM-LAX and it is confirmed. I am trying to add LIM-CUS-LIM segments to the existing reservation online but getting the same "flight sold out" error even though it shows availability without needing any addl miles (+small tax). Can DL agent resolve this issue? Trying to find out if it is worth calling or should I just book a separate RT revenue ticket.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Alaska
Originally Posted by ronbeck
Booking a round trip to Peru using DL miles on LATAM metal. DL search engine shows availability on LAX-LIM-CUS however won't let me book (when confirming payment) with a "flight sold out" error.

So I booked LAX-LIM-LAX and it is confirmed. I am trying to add LIM-CUS-LIM segments to the existing reservation online but getting the same "flight sold out" error even though it shows availability without needing any addl miles (+small tax). Can DL agent resolve this issue? Trying to find out if it is worth calling or should I just book a separate RT revenue ticket.
I ended up calling Delta. Took almost two hours on the phone but the agent was helpful and could add the LIM-CUS-LIM segments to my reservation. Not sure why I couldn't do it online; it took quite a while for the agent to do their magic.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Hi all,

(What happened to the Wiki for this? The post says there is one, but its not there...I see the message about the merging error, but I feel my questions would probably be answered on the Wiki if it was there... The URL in the mod notes just points back to this same thread. Anyway...)

I'm quite well versed in all things Delta travel, but have not ventured into partner air lines yet. I'm trying to broaden my travel horizons this year and going to places where I will definitely have at least one leg on partner metal. I have a lot of miles so want to balance MQD earn and mileage usage...

1) If I understand correctly, the flight has to be sold as a DL flight to earn MQDs when booking with miles right? So if booking on delta.com and I have a 3 leg itinerary DL, KE, KE, only the DL leg earns MQDs? I would need to find DL, DL, KE to get max MQD earn (KE is mandatory on last leg but I can find DL or KE for middle leg)?

2) When originating in North America, does the free award redeposit still apply for partners? So on either of the above itineraries, if I change my mind or decide to go somewhere else, no issues redepositing miles used to book KE or any other partner flights? (I typed this before seeing post #236, but going to leave it anyway just to make sure. )

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WannabePBA; Jan 14, 2023 at 3:21 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.