Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daremo999
See the thing is, that screen cap your showing right now, less than 10 days ago, was filled with 120K flights. So what the hell changed? I'm rapidly becoming disillusioned by Delta's bs and am thinking about switching to anther airline. I did determine that we have enough points outside of Delta to just buy direct on AF and book the same flights for significantly less, which means Delta can suck it.
It's partners who decide how much inventory to release to DL for redemptions and they may have simply tightened up their availability offered to DL. DL/AF/KL share revenue on TATL flights, so Delta actually is still getting part of your revenue. There's inventory for up to 3 pax on KL on 8/27 out of IAD. You need a separate ticket to position to IAD.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 2, 2021 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
See the thing is, that screen cap your showing right now, less than 10 days ago, was filled with 120K flights. So what the hell changed? I'm rapidly becoming disillusioned by Delta's bs and am thinking about switching to anther airline. I did determine that we have enough points outside of Delta to just buy direct on AF and book the same flights for significantly less, which means Delta can suck it.
DL has ZERO to do with this. AF/KL pulled their inventory. Thus DL can't book them.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL has ZERO to do with this. AF/KL pulled their inventory. Thus DL can't book them.
Appreciate the clarification, I guess I need to understand more about how the programs work in detail before making judgements like that.

So then is this something that AF does from time to time or is it something new? If its somewhat common, then should I expect to them return at some point in the near (relatively speaking) future?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Appreciate the clarification, I guess I need to understand more about how the programs work in detail before making judgements like that.

So then is this something that AF does from time to time or is it something new? If its somewhat common, then should I expect to them return at some point in the near (relatively speaking) future?
Its likely just AF rev mgmt reevaluating numbers of seats/flight offerings. They could all return tomorrow or not at all. However of any ST airline AF/KL tend to offer the most available award seats IME. Heck they offer DoD upgrades on all flights as long as seats are open.. They seem to go by the any revenue is good revenue. However they of course try to make it as profitable as possible.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:42 am
pmv

Question re award booking using DL AND KLM or AF

Trying to get from FDS - MPL either round trip or ideally returning CDG-FDS in May. I currently have a r/t booking on all DL FDS-CDG.

using skymiles DL can’t/won’t get me into MPL (through AMS with KLM or CGD with AF). If trying to book on KLM or AF I can’t get out of FDS, but CAN get TATL and into MPL. thoughts on why this is and/or how to make this work (besides a separate paid booking from CDG to MPL)?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:49 am

I am trying to change my Skymiles award ticket from a DL to a VS flight for JFK-LHR. Award shows as available on the DL website, but agents cannot see it - they can only see DL flights, not VS. What can I do?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobby21
I am trying to change my Skymiles award ticket from a DL to a VS flight for JFK-LHR. Award shows as available on the DL website, but agents cannot see it - they can only see DL flights, not VS. What can I do?
Did you try online? Note that DL awards on VS metal can't be mixed with DL roundtrip awards if you have a roundtrip booking and the DL awards have a roundtrip booking requirement.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bobby21
Have you tried to modify it yourself?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pmv
Trying to get from FDS - MPL either round trip or ideally returning CDG-FDS in May. I currently have a r/t booking on all DL FDS-CDG.

using skymiles DL can’t/won’t get me into MPL (through AMS with KLM or CGD with AF). If trying to book on KLM or AF I can’t get out of FDS, but CAN get TATL and into MPL. thoughts on why this is and/or how to make this work (besides a separate paid booking from CDG to MPL)?
Airlines don't always make seats available to partners.

If ticket is cheap book it. DL/AF/KL will protect across tickets. As they'll allow you to check bags across tickets.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:36 am

If I book an economy ticket with Flying Blue, from ORD-SEA on Delta metal, would I still be able to attach my Delta Skymiles account and be eligible for the Comfort+/FC upgrades?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
If I book an economy ticket with Flying Blue, from ORD-SEA on Delta metal, would I still be able to attach my Delta Skymiles account and be eligible for the Comfort+/FC upgrades?
You should be able to attach your SM FF#.

​​​One option is to book a FB award for yourself (-> FB no. is automatically attached to the ticket) and calling in to have them change it. Possibly (haven't tried this myself), you could choose the option to use your FB miles to book an award for another person. But, despite picking that option, you enter your own personal details (but not the FB FF#, of course). It's usually easier to add a FF# (your SM one in this case) if no other FF# has been associated with the booking already.

In either case, best you can hope for are DoD upgrades as the FB award is likely gonna be a codeshare.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have a random question / observation that seems best suited for this thread rather than making a new one. Need to get to Paris next spring (from SFO) and have started looking at business class award availability. Options on the dates I need directly into Paris are all bad; high mileage costs or nothing at all. So I started looking at nearby Northern European cities, anything close enough for an easy direct train ride into Paris.

Found a weird two-stop option with the TATL segment to LHR in VS Upper Class, and then short connecting flights in KLM. Although if I look just to AMS or LHR, the VS Upper Class availability is gone. It only appears when I search for that final smaller city that's on KLM City Hopper service.

Most people here probably know about hidden city ticket pricing on revenue bookings, but is it that prevalent with award bookings? Especially when using SkyMiles on two separate partners? Just seems really, really weird. I'm contemplating booking this and then just taking Eurostar to Paris. Any consequences if I no-show for the last two legs of an award ticket?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EDB99
You should be able to attach your SM FF#.

​​​One option is to book a FB award for yourself (-> FB no. is automatically attached to the ticket) and calling in to have them change it. Possibly (haven't tried this myself), you could choose the option to use your FB miles to book an award for another person. But, despite picking that option, you enter your own personal details (but not the FB FF#, of course). It's usually easier to add a FF# (your SM one in this case) if no other FF# has been associated with the booking already.

In either case, best you can hope for are DoD upgrades as the FB award is likely gonna be a codeshare.
Awards are booked under operating carrier code, not codeshate. No issue if DL will add DL number.
FB though will not change it theirselves.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gobears293
I have a random question / observation that seems best suited for this thread rather than making a new one. Need to get to Paris next spring (from SFO) and have started looking at business class award availability. Options on the dates I need directly into Paris are all bad; high mileage costs or nothing at all. So I started looking at nearby Northern European cities, anything close enough for an easy direct train ride into Paris.

Found a weird two-stop option with the TATL segment to LHR in VS Upper Class, and then short connecting flights in KLM. Although if I look just to AMS or LHR, the VS Upper Class availability is gone. It only appears when I search for that final smaller city that's on KLM City Hopper service.

Most people here probably know about hidden city ticket pricing on revenue bookings, but is it that prevalent with award bookings? Especially when using SkyMiles on two separate partners? Just seems really, really weird. I'm contemplating booking this and then just taking Eurostar to Paris. Any consequences if I no-show for the last two legs of an award ticket?

Thanks!
To what small city? Biggest issue, bags, which will transfer automatically. Unlike in US, you don't pick them up till final destination.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:04 am

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gobears293

Thanks!
I have been looking at this exact route (then on to Athens, Greece) next August and I have given up on using DL SK. Instead I am going to book directly on AF using points that I'll get through a transfer of AMEX points and Marriot (3:1 for AF). All of the CDG routes from the east cost were 120K on DL right up till a day or 2 before Thanksgiving and then they all vanished. Now the only award flights I can find are either VS or KLM. If you go that route, make sure you make the Flying Blue account for AF and wait a few days before you start xferring points, I read of people having the accounts frozen because AF assumed it was some sort of fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.