Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kgkg
Thank you! Do you know where I can find the award cancellation fee for flights originating outside of North America?
It's on the "Baggage & Travel Fees" page -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview
There have been several reports that fee has not been collected on awards originating outside NA, so there's some question if it is actually being enforced.

Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: United 1P
Thanks. The article did not say about the cancellation fee of non-basic economy award tickets for flights originated outside the US. I am not sure whether Delta will collect cancellation/redeposit fee or not.

Originally Posted by xliioper
It's on the "Baggage & Travel Fees" page -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview
There have been several reports that fee has not been collected on awards originating outside NA, so there's some question if it is actually being enforced.

Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. The article did not say about the cancellation fee of non-basic economy award tickets for flights originated outside the US. I am not sure whether Delta will collect cancellation/redeposit fee or not.
Which article? Here is the section of text from the web page linked above that mentions $150 redeposit fee for awards originating outside of North America. Perhaps you overlooked this part?

A redeposit fee of $150 will still apply for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel originating outside of North America.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 29, 2022 at 5:56 am
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
If you do this, please post your experience (whether or not you get charged) as a data point.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: United 1P
Thank you. Yes, I overlooked this sentence.

Which article? Here is the section of text from the web page linked above that mentions $150 redeposit fee for awards originating outside of North America. Perhaps you overlooked this part?

A redeposit fee of $150 will still apply for Award Tickets and mileage upgrades for travel originating outside of North America.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:55 pm

Not sure if anyone can help or has experience.

I want to redeem on WS for a ticket that includes a sector YYC-YQL. delta.com doesn't recognize YQL. Since I have to transfer points to my Skymiles balance, and want to avoid being on hold on the telephone, wanted to see if anyone has tried booking WS destinations that are not listed on the delta.com website?

Last edited by MaHa; Oct 31, 2022 at 12:39 am
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaHa
Not sure if anyone can help or has experience.

I want to redeem on WS for a ticket that includes a sector YYC-YQL. delta.com doesn't recognize YQL. Since I have to transfer points to my Skymiles balance, and want to avoid being on hold on the telephone, wanted to see if anyone has tried booking WS destinations that are not listed on the delta.com website?
The YQL flights are actually operated by Pacific Coastal for WS and not WS itself. I very much doubt you will be able to book any itins on these fights with DL Skymiles.
MaHa likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
I see ton of availability on Korean flights, usually 4 seats per flight accross the board. But at payment page I get error message than the seats are gone. Looks like phantom inventory.

I tried it yesterday and today it's the same issue.

Has anyone seen that before? Should I try calling?
Old Dec 1, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm guessing this can't happen, but I need to at least ask. My wife and I have terrific award tickets to Europe and back next spring (low price business with a great schedule as a result of a partner change). Unfortunately, she's been diagnosed with a cancer, and although it's curable (thankfully), she's going to be in chemotherapy during the trip.

Obviously, the only thing that really matters is her health, and this is all very secondary, but we'd still love to go next fall to celebrate her recovery. Is there any chance or positive experience that DL would reschedule the flights using the current (low-priced) tickets, rather than just having to throw them out and start over?

Thanks for any insights and, of course, appreciate all good wishes for Mrs. FTF.

FTF

Last edited by FullTimeFlyer; Dec 1, 2022 at 4:48 am Reason: Wording
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by thyeri
I see ton of availability on Korean flights, usually 4 seats per flight accross the board. But at payment page I get error message than the seats are gone. Looks like phantom inventory.

I tried it yesterday and today it's the same issue.

Has anyone seen that before? Should I try calling?
It’s been like that for months. Same thing with SV and other airlines.

For KE you can see the real award availability on Alaskaair.com.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
I'm guessing this can't happen, but I need to at least ask. My wife and I have terrific award tickets to Europe and back next spring (low price business with a great schedule as a result of a partner change). Unfortunately, she's been diagnosed with a cancer, and although it's curable (thankfully), she's going to be in chemotherapy during the trip.

Obviously, the only thing that really matters is her health, and this is all very secondary, but we'd still love to go next fall to celebrate her recovery. Is there any chance or positive experience that DL would reschedule the flights using the current (low-priced) tickets, rather than just having to throw them out and start over?

Thanks for any insights and, of course, appreciate all good wishes for Mrs. FTF.

FTF
You can try and ask, but suspect they may say you will need to redeposit award and rebook at going rate when ready to travel. Good luck.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
You can try and ask, but suspect they may say you will need to redeposit award and rebook at going rate when ready to travel. Good luck.
That is indeed what happened...I held off canceling and will try once more and then give up. It's too bad, but it's only a ticket in the end.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:00 am

Was looking around at redemptions to TPE and noticed that SFO / LAX to TPE on CI is now ~295k-350k in J depending on the day, historically it was very reliably 85k. Does anyone know when that change happened? I know there's been a general trend towards more partners being priced at the crazy level of Delta's own award tickets, but I thought the old rule was that if Delta didn't fly the route themselves it was priced more "reasonably" than their own awards. What are the remaining sweet spots, if any?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidchui
Was looking around at redemptions to TPE and noticed that SFO / LAX to TPE on CI is now ~295k-350k in J depending on the day, historically it was very reliably 85k. Does anyone know when that change happened? I know there's been a general trend towards more partners being priced at the crazy level of Delta's own award tickets, but I thought the old rule was that if Delta didn't fly the route themselves it was priced more "reasonably" than their own awards. What are the remaining sweet spots, if any?
This started sometime in October when they began harmonizing Delta and partner levels in many markets. Several travel bloggers picked up on it. There have been a couple threads here on FT on the change. Here is one -- What the bleep happened to Skymiles redemption?
You will now need to make roundtrip bookings to get cheapest award levels on partners (just like Delta metal awards) for awards from US/Canada. The cheapest business award levels on LAX-TPE currently look to be 450K roundtrip and apply to both DL and partner metal. These require a roundtrip booking (can't be booked as one-ways for 225K), and a 10 day minimum stay (from the fare rules). They also require Mon-Thu departures. The cheapest awards on SFO-TPE are currently 540K roundtrip (same fare rule requirements). Also, partner levels in J had been 120K each-way for a few years prior to this change. Note that you can still get one-way business class awards out of Mexico to TPE for as low as 90K miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 16, 2022 at 5:28 am
Old Dec 17, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: delta skymiles
Thoroughly confused here. I’d like to book MSP -> JRO on July 31 in Premium Comfort/Premium Select using miles. There is one option (call it “option A”) that is entirely on KLM metal. There is another option (call it “option B”) that is Delta Metal for the MSP -> AMS leg and KLM metal for the AMS -> JRO leg. Option A prices just fine. Option B won’t even price at all (not even additive). I’m *mostly” certain that all of the segments are available if booked independently, though the AMS - > JRO segment can’t be booked on delta.com even if paying $$$. The MSP -> AMS segments for both Options A and B are available for the same mile price if booked stand-alone, so that isn’t the issue. So here are my two questions:

1) is this occurring simply because of the mixing and matching of delta/KLM metal, or is it married segment logic, or is it just crappy IT; and
2) what is the “low miles rate” booking code for the new premium comfort class on KLM and is it visible on Expert Flyer? I know coach is “X” and business is “O”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.