Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobears293
I have a random question / observation that seems best suited for this thread rather than making a new one. Need to get to Paris next spring (from SFO) and have started looking at business class award availability. Options on the dates I need directly into Paris are all bad; high mileage costs or nothing at all. So I started looking at nearby Northern European cities, anything close enough for an easy direct train ride into Paris.

Found a weird two-stop option with the TATL segment to LHR in VS Upper Class, and then short connecting flights in KLM. Although if I look just to AMS or LHR, the VS Upper Class availability is gone. It only appears when I search for that final smaller city that's on KLM City Hopper service.

Most people here probably know about hidden city ticket pricing on revenue bookings, but is it that prevalent with award bookings? Especially when using SkyMiles on two separate partners? Just seems really, really weird. I'm contemplating booking this and then just taking Eurostar to Paris. Any consequences if I no-show for the last two legs of an award ticket?

Thanks!
Partner biz levels to EU from US start at 120K each-way and availability is generally very weak outside of VS to LHR. Delta requires roundtrip bookings to get their lowest D1 award levels (105K miles each-way) in D1. If you are searching using one-way award searches, you will never see these 105K each-way (210K roundtrip) awards. I'm seeing some availability for these 210K roundtrip D1 awards for April travel on SFO-CDG with mid-week departures. Availability of this 105K D1 award level is very weak right now to all of EU beyond April. There are hidden city tricks to get to EU gateway airports for 85K one-way in biz (mostly LHR) if you really want to play that game. It involves an airport with the letters 'L', 'T', and 'V' in it's name. There are ways to hidden-city back to Delta US hubs (SFO would not be available, but LAX would) in D1 for 65K miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2021 at 6:39 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Any way to get D1 out economy back

I'm looking at scoring a trip So Florida to Porto, Portugal which involves CDG or AMS w miles, late April early May. . A couple times I have stumbled upon fares that allow D1 over, economy back for 140-150, presumably because the D1 fare was gone. Perfect, but hard to find. I don't need a flat bed for a daytime return trip. I thought from a previous response that these did not exist. But I have to align the perfect fare with trip dates that work for me. Do agents have better visibility of how to to this? Obviously there are plenty of economy returns this far out.

Bob
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobf
I'm looking at scoring a trip So Florida to Porto, Portugal which involves CDG or AMS w miles, late April early May. . A couple times I have stumbled upon fares that allow D1 over, economy back for 140-150, presumably because the D1 fare was gone. Perfect, but hard to find. I don't need a flat bed for a daytime return trip. I thought from a previous response that these did not exist. But I have to align the perfect fare with trip dates that work for me. Do agents have better visibility of how to to this? Obviously there are plenty of economy returns this far out.

Bob
Coach roundtrip awards can be combined with D1 roundtrip awards (as can be coach and D1 fares) and Delta website will present you with coach options for return when you select D1/Business outbound flights. The catch can be there is no coach award availability for the return flights (while there is D1 availability on same flights) which is possibly why you are not seeing coach options on the return. You can get roundtrip D1/Biz in both directions from $2300 if you depart before April 16rd and return before April 22nd (Tue - Fri departures and Sun - Thu returns). Combining Biz with Economy will be about $1600 roundtrip. This will probably be a better deal than most award redemptions as they raised D1/Biz TATL awards back in Fall of 2020. You can get roundtrip D1 awards for 200K miles or D1/MC combos for 129K miles. But these mileage levels require mid-week depatures and availability of flights at these award levels will be very limited.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2022 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thanks, xliioper. Seems part of the trick is to request Main, then select D1 outbound, so you still see the Main on the return, rather than selecting D1 and hoping to see some main on the return. Its amazing how finicky this is. I can't find anything using FLL rather than MIA. As my dates are now most likely early May, I don't see anything cheap using $, but I can live with 129K and a flat-bed east bound.

Bob
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I am trying to travel from the west coast to Berlin in the spring in J using miles. It is very hard to find any inventory into BER so I am trying to fly into a larger hub and then get a separate ticket for last leg. I am trying everything I can think of, including LAX/SEA/SFO/SLC into AMS/CDG/LON and everything is just insane on DL and partners seem to have nothing, except for a very strange itinerary on Aeromexico through MEX, which just seems kind of crazy.

What is going on? I have 500K+ Sky Miles, I should be able to fly two people R/T to Europe, right?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I am trying to travel from the west coast to Berlin in the spring in J using miles. It is very hard to find any inventory into BER so I am trying to fly into a larger hub and then get a separate ticket for last leg. I am trying everything I can think of, including LAX/SEA/SFO/SLC into AMS/CDG/LON and everything is just insane on DL and partners seem to have nothing, except for a very strange itinerary on Aeromexico through MEX, which just seems kind of crazy.

What is going on? I have 500K+ Sky Miles, I should be able to fly two people R/T to Europe, right?
There's decent availability for roundtrip D1 awards for 210K per person on LAX-FRA in late April and early to mid-May. Are you searching for roundtrips or one-way's? You will never see the cheaper roundtrip award levels if searching for one-way's. Availability from SFO and SEA look similar.

FYI, there are currently $3K roundtrip D1 fares from SMF, RNO, PDX, and LAS to BER through late April. SFO is slightly higher at $3300. $3K fares also available from PIT, CLE, BNA, IND, and MKE for those in the Midwest and RDU, AUS, GSP, JAX, MCO, and TPA in the South.

jdrtravel likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2022 at 10:04 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:37 am

Just booked MCO-EDI ns for the 150th Open this summer for 35k on Virgin; cash price was $2,500 on either airline's site
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I cancel a miles and cash ticket within 24hrs of booking do I get the cash back or points for the miles that were bought?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta
I booked a one-way ticket from CDG - JFK using Flying Blue miles (transferred from Amex) over the phone with the agent. I want this flight to be credited towards DL through their partnership with AF. How do I verify if this ticket is credited to my DL or AF membership? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my booking on the AF app. TIA!
Old Jan 31, 2022, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lejonathan12
I booked a one-way ticket from CDG - JFK using Flying Blue miles (transferred from Amex) over the phone with the agent. I want this flight to be credited towards DL through their partnership with AF. How do I verify if this ticket is credited to my DL or AF membership? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my booking on the AF app. TIA!
You don't get credit for award flights. Not sure what you're expecting.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta
Got it. If I booked using cash through AF and selected DL for credit. Is there a way that I can check if this was done correctly?
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lejonathan12
Got it. If I booked using cash through AF and selected DL for credit. Is there a way that I can check if this was done correctly?
Just pull up reservation on Delta.com.(if there's DL segments) It should show what FF is listed. You can add if needed. Otherwise pull up on AF and find the passenger details section. You'll see what is listed.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:03 am

xliioper For the lolz of it checked this itinerary on my end on delta, and it costs $4420 (only flight different is that return flight).

Wonder if this is their pricing based on geolocation as I know that can often affect the price of a ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:44 pm

RDU-FCO on ITA in business (or Delta)?

I'm planning a flight RDU-FCO, maybe using ITA in business class or maybe using only Delta metal Comfort Plus. I'd use an eCredit and my partner would use points. He has about 190K in his account. I guess ITA is maybe a SkyTeam partner or maybe is not? I can see them in search results, and (surprisingly) I can do seat selection when booking on ITA metal during the search process. Will a search on Delta using miles instead of $ show me how many miles/points we need for an ITA flight?

EDIT: A quick search shows it's probably not possible to book a flight with only 190K miles on ITA in business. We can probably get a Comfort Plus seat for about 168K.

Last edited by zitsky; Feb 11, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm planning a flight RDU-FCO, maybe using ITA in business class or maybe using only Delta metal Comfort Plus. I'd use an eCredit and my partner would use points. He has about 190K in his account. I guess ITA is maybe a SkyTeam partner or maybe is not? I can see them in search results, and (surprisingly) I can do seat selection when booking on ITA metal during the search process. Will a search on Delta using miles instead of $ show me how many miles/points we need for an ITA flight?

EDIT: A quick search shows it's probably not possible to book a flight with only 190K miles on ITA in business. We can probably get a Comfort Plus seat for about 168K.
DL raised US-EU D1/business rates back in Fall of 2020. Partner business awards for US-EU are now 120K each-way (requires 60-day advance purchase). DL US-EU D1 low-level awards are now 105K each-way with a roundtrip booking and 90-day advance purchase requirement. However, there's very little bucket availability open for low-level US-EU D1 awards for summer through early Fall. I'm seeing some dates with low-level D1 105K award bucket open on RDU-FCO starting in October (mostly for mid-week travel).

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 11, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.