Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:31 pm

Besides the egg thing, my food to FCO wasn't bad. Dessert is a complete cop out though.

Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K
DL105 ATL-GRU 11/27/2021 dinner and brekkie

​​​​​Dinner dish was great. Nice portion and very tender. Sides were awesome, especially the bread and sweet butter and the yellow beet salad with walnuts and goat cheese. Yum!

Brekkie was a very Souther affair... Frittata with gravy and cheese greets (I think). Too heavy for my liking but did taste good.

Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
DL104 GRU-ATL 12/4/2021 deltaone

Great crew, welcomed to my seat with a personalized note from purser!

​​​​​​.... but disastrous special meal (kosher). Was not expecting a full blown economy meal setup. I was on a special meal high after my awesome halal meal on sea-jfk a week before, boy did my high come to a screeching halt 😂

dinner was this beef and veggies with rice. Sides were hummus, bread, dried fruit muffin, and chocolate Mousse. Brekkie was an awful cold stale sandwich (egg salad maybe???) with a side container of syrupy fruit.

Thank goodness for the great spread at the LATAM lounge. Had a great dinner there. Enough to hold me up for the entire flight.

Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I wonder what social media intern thought it would be a good idea to post this to Delta’s official Instagram page? Comments aren’t very positive on the boxed meals.

krazykanuck and Scratchstar like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wonder what social media intern thought it would be a good idea to post this to Delta’s official Instagram page? Comments aren’t very positive on the boxed meals.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXRr5GRM...dium=copy_link
That’s hilarious
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by msp727
Paid F should always have first choice, this is a huge revenue miss.
For this flight, is it really that huge a miss since I am sure the guy in 2C took the $84 FCM offer, did not seem to be the frequent flyer type, and still had all 3 choices available? If he paid an extra $500, I would feel differently. As long as non-revs are last, whether medallions or paid F should be prioritized is situation dependent.

The other oddity is that just prior to boarding, the GA made an announcement thanking the 6 medallions on the flight, calling out our first and last names for everyone in the airport to hear. I do not care one way or the other, but I know many here would have a strong reaction.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by The Situation
The other oddity is that just prior to boarding, the GA made an announcement thanking the 6 medallions on the flight, calling out our first and last names for everyone in the airport to hear. I do not care one way or the other, but I know many here would have a strong reaction.
Wouldn't bother me at all. If Jane Doe is a Gold Medallion, what have you really learned?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Wouldn't bother me at all. If Jane Doe is a Gold Medallion, what have you really learned?
You must be new here, some members here walk around in tin foil hats yelling at the sky. Think Abraham Simpson/Frank Costanza
Old Dec 10, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
DL104 GRU-ATL 12/4/2021 deltaone

Great crew, welcomed to my seat with a personalized note from purser!

​​​​​​.... but disastrous special meal (kosher). Was not expecting a full blown economy meal setup. I was on a special meal high after my awesome halal meal on sea-jfk a week before, boy did my high come to a screeching halt 😂

dinner was this beef and veggies with rice. Sides were hummus, bread, dried fruit muffin, and chocolate Mousse. Brekkie was an awful cold stale sandwich (egg salad maybe???) with a side container of syrupy fruit.

Thank goodness for the great spread at the LATAM lounge. Had a great dinner there. Enough to hold me up for the entire flight.
I would really avoid ordering kosher meals unless you must eat kosher food except when you are departing from a city with a very large Jewish community (NYC, TLV, LAX, etc). Personally, and I do keep a very liberal form of kosher, I would never order it because I can't stand all the packaging. Asian vegetarian or regular vegetarian are much more reliable, IME.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have decided that the Pastrami Sadwich is the least bad option. It's between that and the chicken salad sadwich.

Think I've now had everything on the not-breakfast menu.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
since plane ovens aren't kosher, an observant jew will only eat a kosher meal that's double-wrapped when heated in the oven, and only if they can remove both layers of wrapping themselves. there's no way to have the plating appear to be to J standards with a kosher meal in any class of service.
PanAmSam and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:50 pm

I would say generally speaking halal meals are either quite nice thanks to sauce or simply the vegetarian meal. The kosher meals tend to be bad because it's too hard to make them nice, and all other special meals are quite bad.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
I had the salmon salad box today. . . ATL-SEA. What a joke. I think DL spends more on packaging than content. Half a hard boiled egg (quail egg?) that thimble sized bottle of dressing? How can you cut such tiny cherry tomatoes in two? Not even a hospital tray pack of salt and pepper? OK, maybe just pepper
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Saw a FA sell a sad box to a Main Cabin passenger tonight. More approriate as a buy on board coach meal than an F dinner, that’s for sure.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
CMH-JFK, Republic, asked about PDB service and the FA looked at me like I was crazy. "We haven't done that since Covid".

I thought this had returned to DL, but I may be mixed up on which carriers are doing what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.