Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by ryw
Are flight fuel boxes back and available for purchase in Main for flights overs 900 miles? Flying SFO-MSP this week and trying to figure out if I can count on buying something on board or if I need to stock up before boarding! (It seems unclear online, with one page of the Delta site suggesting there are flight fuel boxes on flights over 900 miles, and another page only having reference to savory/sweet snacks over 250 miles)
If you care about what you eat, select for yourself prior to your flight. Onboard options are quite frankly pathetic unless of course you are a fan of goldfish, biscoffs, and almonds. FF boxes are sad as well.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by krellboy

Upload works on mobile! Any other opinions on what these are?
A pathetic attempt at Pepper Jack?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just flew AC BOG-YYZ today. Full normal meal service! If AC can do it, DL can also.
It looks like they are now back to meal service on JFK-BOG. On outbound a few days ago the pre-select options showed sandwiches but on the flight we got chicken (FA said it was a catering error), for the return BOG-JFK the pre-select now shows a choice of (1) curry marinated chicken breast, with medley of rice, grilled vegetables and curry sauce or (2) punpkin filled pasta with aurora sauce, sauteed spinach and goat cheese. The outbound chicken was definitely not this one, but doesn't seem to correspond to any of the other chicken dishes I've seen in this thread either.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
United bringing back glassware on all domestic first flights.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...nks-glassware/

Yo, Delta... what's good?
demkr and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by af fp
Ord-Lga today in first class on A220. One round of drinks in plastic glasses and bags of chips. Pathetic.
Sadly, I believe no meals on that route on UA or AA either. This was always one of those exception routes and I'm not sure how many of those routes are getting meal service these days.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by N984TW
Does anyone know if they do a beverage service in first on a short flight like SAV to ATL? I know Y gets nothing but wondering if F does.
Yes you should get beverages in plastic cups and a pack of chips.
N984TW likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Sadly, I believe no meals on that route on UA or AA either. This was always one of those exception routes and I'm not sure how many of those routes are getting meal service these days.
Confirmed, I flew UA and it was as bad. LGA-ORD is a busy and competitive route that used to get proper service so it is definitely bad and needs improvement.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by af fp
Confirmed, I flew UA and it was as bad. LGA-ORD is a busy and competitive route that used to get proper service so it is definitely bad and needs improvement.
Presumably it's seeing a lot less high-$ business travel, which was the reason it earned the exception designation. Just being busy isn't enough (evidenced by the service level on most of the hub-hub flights).
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any word if/when first catering is coming back? Frankly it's appalling. Those boxes are an embarrassment.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Any word if/when first catering is coming back? Frankly it's appalling. Those boxes are an embarrassment.
With United touting the return of glassware on all flights (and honestly catering better meals for a while now) it has become COMPLETELY unacceptable for Delta to continue their cost saving, safety bull****.

I’m curious what sales will look like once the accelerator promotion ends. I know many were buying premium cabins for MQMs and not service. But once MQMs return to normal, the only benefit of premium cabins will be… space and service - which the later is in dire condition.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
No. Delta has said nothing.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
With United touting the return of glassware on all flights (and honestly catering better meals for a while now) it has become COMPLETELY unacceptable for Delta to continue their cost saving, safety bull****.

I’m curious what sales will look like once the accelerator promotion ends. I know many were buying premium cabins for MQMs and not service. But once MQMs return to normal, the only benefit of premium cabins will be… space and service - which the later is in dire condition.
I've actually been flying United when flying purchased front cabin. My normal route is DTW-LAX and I get a full hot meal/full bar on ANY hub connection to LAX.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:02 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have no confirmable source for this, but a certain fairly reliable source for airline info on Twitter posted yesterday that hot meals are expected to return during Q1.
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
I have no confirmable source for this, but a certain fairly reliable source for airline info on Twitter posted yesterday that hot meals are expected to return during Q1.
The meal boxes were supposed to happen back in July also. DL provided an exact date even, but of course missed it.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR

IS IT FINALLY HAPPENING?!!?!!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.