Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Yet ATL-LAX is just a snack?
That’s nothing. ATL-ANC when it was operating over the summer was only getting cold boxed meals/snack boxes in F and SLC-HNL is still only cold boxed meals.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by dw
Not to mention, AA has resumed providing a complimentary snack in Y on the premium transcons (sandwich/wrap, hummus plate or fruit and cheese plate); not sure what the situation is on UA right now in the back on these routes.
I beleive UA is only providing a small snack bag with pretzels in Y on premium transcons.
However, in O (UA's PE booking code), the same meal is in J is being provided on the premium transcons as well as long haul Hawaii flights
dw likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by work2fly
2 hour mechanical delay with a change of planes today JFK-SFO. I'm flying paid W and when we were finally underway, I asked for some potato chips with my drink and was told the new plane wasn't fully catered, and was given the small bag of almonds instead.

Great service recovery by the FAwho comped me a bistro box, but it's frankly ridiculous not to have at least a buy on board program with fresh choices on a premium transcon, let alone a free sandwich or similar for all.
And so here we are at.SFO, 2.5 hours late, and there is no GA to handle the jet bridge.

This is ridiculous.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.

Last edited by work2fly; Dec 12, 2021 at 7:02 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
I beleive UA is only providing a small snack bag with pretzels in Y on premium transcons.
However, in O (UA's PE booking code), the same meal is in J is being provided on the premium transcons as well as long haul Hawaii flights
DL doesn't market it's Premium Select product on any domestic routes. PS fares are exclusively sold on international routes. Any PS equipped planes that are flown on domestic routes will have the PS cabin sold as Comfort+ fares.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL doesn't market it's Premium Select product on any domestic routes. PS fares are exclusively sold on international routes. Any PS equipped planes that are flown on domestic routes will have the PS cabin sold as Comfort+ fares.
That is one big difference between DL and UA. UA does sell PE on domestic routes (only premium transcons and long haul Hawaii at the moment)

One could argue that PS should be sold as C+ internationally as well, since PS now receives standard economy service

This is the domestic PP offering from UA https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33418695-post17.html
However, in Y, Delta's service is superior to UA's. UA has far more premium passengers in the two premium cabins, however
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
JFK-SFO
Dec. 11

Not sure what the official name is for this, fritata maybe? Was pretty good. Bacon was excellent. Strawberries were a bit too early for peak ripeness. Not bad overall. Personally, was my first hot meal on Delta since pre-covid. Nice to see the ovens still work, even though they don't seem to want to use them on most routes.

Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
LAX-JFK D1 on December 11

Preordered Halal meal because of the previous poster’s good looking Halal meal. Imagine my surprise when this came out. Sent the pic to a friend and he says he would be more worried about the bread than anything else
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by xjaehyun

Preordered Halal meal because of the previous poster’s good looking Halal meal. Imagine my surprise when this came out. Sent the pic to a friend and he says he would be more worried about the bread than anything else
Yeah, sometimes the halal meal is just the vegetarian meal and then it sucks.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by xjaehyun

bummer that it turned out vegetarian. Did it taste good, at least? Maybe it's SEA that caters great halal meals.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:37 am

FA working the first class section left his device on each passengers side table so they could just read the sad box descriptions for breakfast.

Breakfast sad box descriptions

Smoked salmon mini bagel … the size of four coffee creamers.
matchbox20_is and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:44 am

Can anyone give me a clue as to why I would not be able to pre-select special meals on two flights? ATL-SEA and PDX-ATL. I've flown these routes plenty of times pre-pandemic with no issues. Flights are next week. I try to select meals and I get an error telling me "We're sorry, you are not able to....".

Did chat with CS and they could not select either.

Wanted to just check to see if it was something obvious that I just don't know before I sat on hold for an hour to actually call them.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
bummer that it turned out vegetarian. Did it taste good, at least? Maybe it's SEA that caters great halal meals.

The rice was flavorless but the chickpea portion was good. Zucchini slices made a squeaky sound when biting them, as if they were wet rubber on a slick surface.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Same boring menu later this week on AMS-SEA. The pork loin option is new though. Has anyone tried it?

Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:15 am

Delta knows the sad boxes you’ll be getting are special enough

Delta is using the EXCUSE of a pandemic to cut catering on domestic routes.

Originally Posted by MissJ
Can anyone give me a clue as to why I would not be able to pre-select special meals on two flights? ATL-SEA and PDX-ATL. I've flown these routes plenty of times pre-pandemic with no issues. Flights are next week. I try to select meals and I get an error telling me "We're sorry, you are not able to....".

Did chat with CS and they could not select either.

Wanted to just check to see if it was something obvious that I just don't know before I sat on hold for an hour to actually call them.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats
Delta knows the sad boxes you’ll be getting are special enough

Delta is using the EXCUSE of a pandemic to cut catering on domestic routes.
I'm not expecting a feast, but what about special dietary needs? That's just not a thing right now?

I'm going to try to just eat before boarding but just in case. I would at least like to have something available. It's actually for my mom, I can pick at just about anything but she has some restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.