Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Was offered what I presume was the same pastrami sandwich, a salami / mozzarella cheese plate or mozzarella/tomato grain bowl on my flight today. Went for the salami plate, was OK, but Delta needs to get back go it’s standard first class catering ASAP, they are charging top dollar for F nowadays
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:46 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It’s a shame they can’t at least have the FAs heat up the sandwiches, even if they are still served in a box. (I think I’ve received warm sandwiches in boxes in coach in the past, like on certain international flights on other carriers.)
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
If discount euro airlines like Ryanair and easyJet can serve/sell heated sandwiches so can delta!
​​​
dw, TastyPlaneEats, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Ordhater
BOI-ATL yesterday. Lunch choices were a grain bowl, turkey and brie sandwich, or salmon salad. I went with the salmon salad because I remembered the grain bowl being underwhelming and I don't like brie. Big mistake. The portion size was tiny. The salmon itself was pretty good, but the rest of the dish was awful. The greens consisted of a couple of green beans and a few sprouts. The pumpkin swirl bread (I've seen pics in earlier threads), however, was better than it looked.
Same choices today SAN-ATL. Haven’t popped the cover on the turkey sandwich box yet.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by p100a
If discount euro airlines like Ryanair and easyJet can serve/sell heated sandwiches so can delta!
​​​
no...no... covid lives in airplane ovens... but only on Delta
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dw
It’s a shame they can’t at least have the FAs heat up the sandwiches, even if they are still served in a box. (I think I’ve received warm sandwiches in boxes in coach in the past, like on certain international flights on other carriers.)
They have no plates on board. An FA tried to heat up my frozen sad box before I gave up on domestic DL but had to put the whole box in, creating a fire risk, so didn't leave it in for long, so still frozen after, but box was warm. It's just an abomination the whole thing.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:00 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
They have no plates on board. An FA tried to heat up my frozen sad box before I gave up on domestic DL but had to put the whole box in, creating a fire risk, so didn't leave it in for long, so still frozen after, but box was warm. It's just an abomination the whole thing.
Oh yes, totally get they can’t heat up what is being served now; but what the catering planners could do is have the sandwiches provisioned in oven safe packaging (like another poster reminded us that ULLCs in Europe do for their coach buy on board)… not just to alleviate this occasionally issue with the dry ice freezing the sandwiches, but it might actually make the sandwiches a lot more palatable.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Agree and it's not occasional - the freezing is fairly common. And as you say, even when not frozen, slightly warm would be nice. Still, serving crap in a box when charging >$1k a seat is an abomination. I've switched to AA.... who just canceled my flight tomorrow :-(
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Found one person who's not complaining about the service cuts

demkr and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Was offered what I presume was the same pastrami sandwich, a salami / mozzarella cheese plate or mozzarella/tomato grain bowl on my flight today. Went for the salami plate, was OK, but Delta needs to get back go it’s standard first class catering ASAP, they are charging top dollar for F nowadays
I totally agree. If Delta Sky club can bring back food as normal, offer hot dogs at La Guardia sky club, then first class flights need proper food.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bubbashow
no...no... covid lives in airplane ovens... but only on Delta
That's actually too vague. Mayo Clinic thinks that COVID only lives in ovens on non Delta One routes, JFK-LAX ovens are safe from COVID. The 764s that fly JFK-LAX but also do non Delta One routes like ATL-SAN it then becomes a major safety hazard because it's not Delta One anymore
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by xliioper
I believe I've had it before. It mostly consisted of rolls of thin roast beef. I forget the type of dressing they used. I thought it was decent and filling, but I'm not particularly picky and mostly look for proteins.
Here is a pic of the meat salad. There was a horseradish sauce under the rolled roast beef. 2 big chunks of I think sweet potato.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I was 1A on DL1863 last night, was given the option of a pastrami sandwich, turkey or something she called soup. I opted for the Pastrami.

When it arrived bit into it, and well it was frozen solid, didn't feel like complaining so I just put it back in the box and munched on the chips.

15 minutes later FA comes to me and asked if my sandwich was frozen and apologized when I told her it was. She then came back with a turkey sandwich and one of the boxes that are sold in coach.

She also saw that I liked the chips so much she brought me some extra bags.

But Delta needs to do better, food shouldn't be frozen.
Was it flight from or to hub? FA don't pull them out of dry ice bag soon enough a lot of times on return to hub.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by dw
Oh yes, totally get they can’t heat up what is being served now; but what the catering planners could do is have the sandwiches provisioned in oven safe packaging (like another poster reminded us that ULLCs in Europe do for their coach buy on board)… not just to alleviate this occasionally issue with the dry ice freezing the sandwiches, but it might actually make the sandwiches a lot more palatable.
That is what UA does on their snack routes. The sandwiches are served hot. Makes a big difference
Old Dec 25, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
AMS-ATL on 12/21 on the A350 happy to report real glassware is back. Identical service to pre-Covid except 1 tray. Food was fine. I was supposed to fly MXP to JFK on EK F but I had every single item I own stolen from above my head on the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam in First Class so had to cut my trip short and get back to start dealing with insurance just in time for Christmas! Yay!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.