Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It's really ridiculous that there's no particular order they're processing these in. some people get them processed within days, others like me have been waiting exactly one month now. Any time you call they give the 30 business days shpeel. Why does that "waiting time" seem to apply for some and not others?

I've been fairly patient for an entire month --- This is unacceptable when some customers get instant refunds and others have to wait "30 business days" -- and I was told 21 when I initiated the refund request, not 30. I'm waiting on 3 refunds. Somehow I don't feel like the "pending" means anything.

Last edited by demkr; May 4, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by demkr
It's really ridiculous that there's no particular order they're processing these in. some people get them processed within days, others like me have been waiting exactly one month now. Any time you call they give the 30 business days shpeel. Why does that "waiting time" seem to apply for some and not others?

I've been fairly patient for an entire month --- This is unacceptable when some customers get instant refunds and others have to wait "30 business days" -- and I was told 21 when I initiated the refund request, not 30. I'm waiting on 3 refunds. Somehow I don't feel like the "pending" means anything.
I hear you. My refund status (the airline cancelled my flight) is 'pending' since April 5th. I asked the twitter team why that is and why others get it within a few days. No response other than an automatic message to go on delta.com for more info.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by at-qbkilla
I hear you. My refund status (the airline cancelled my flight) is 'pending' since April 5th. I asked the twitter team why that is and why others get it within a few days. No response other than an automatic message to go on delta.com for more info.
Quick update: Meanwhile I called the Medallion Line (Silver Statuts) and asked them about the refund status and they did say that now it takes up to 30 business days to confirm the refund but he said 'it feels that my refund needs to be handelded a little bit quicker' (refund first requested on April 5th when they said it takes 7 to 21 business days to confirm a refund) and then I received a refund confirmation email while I was still on the phone with the agent.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Another Datapoint

Sorry so many are struggling to get their refunds. Our story is a unique one, as you will see!
I bought 3 tickets for our family for a non-stop r/t DTW-CDG for a mid-June college grad gift for my son (including LeMans), using SkyMiles during a flashsale into Comfort+ last fall. We used FCM to bump each of us up to D1, in sequential months, so our joint confirmation number was then split into 3 separate ones, one for each of us.
Flight was cancelled during the change on Saturday night (May 2nd). (And dammit, we got bumped from a 764 to an A359. Fudge!) I called the SM hotline, got the call back, the agent walked through, took about 35 minutes to get all three confirmation numbers lined up for reversal. The agent suggested the refunds should have processing movement within 48 hours. As you'll see below, not only YMMV, so did mine!
The kicker at this time? 2 of the 3 seats SkyMiles were reimbursed on Sunday, third remains MIA. 3 of 3 taxes/fees were reimbursed to AmEx last night. 2 of 3 FCM's into D1 were reimbursed last night.
So, I can relate somewhat to what several are putting up with, hopefully we're all made whole soon enough. Good luck, fellow Delta flyers!

Last edited by dtwlarry; May 5, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Old May 5, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Guessing Delta is facing a staggering number of chargebacks these days and I'm starting to think they deserve it. Not a good look holding onto peoples' money for 40+ days after receiving $5.4 billion from the US Treasury.
SpeedRicer likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA
Woah. Has anybody else experienced this?

I cancelled my flight and requested a refund on 4/13. I chatted with a twitter agent and asked why it was taking so long. After that, I wasn't able to see my refund status so I checked my trips and the flight is back in my account.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had 3 DL domestic awards in F, along with 1 revenue ticket. I called up to take care of all of them at once. Was relatively easy, but was told I could only get e-credit for the revenue ticket at this point. I was told that waiting to see if it canceled, or changed times more might work better. Near the end of the call, the agent just mentioned that she went ahead and refunded the revenue ticket. I guess I’ll see...

I am very satisfied with the service so far. Miles have been refunded for 2 tickets, I haven’t checked the account for the 3rd ticket yet.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jarza
Woah. Has anybody else experienced this?

I cancelled my flight and requested a refund on 4/13. I chatted with a twitter agent and asked why it was taking so long. After that, I wasn't able to see my refund status so I checked my trips and the flight is back in my account.
Yep...I had a Refund department person hang up on me and terminated my 4/13 refund request. I think I was asking too many questions. Had to call back and restart my clock on 4/22. Really inappropriate behavior on behalf of DL by the refund department. Rogue employees taking punitive action against customers.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
Yep...I had a Refund department person hang up on me and terminated my 4/13 refund request. I think I was asking too many questions. Had to call back and restart my clock on 4/22. Really inappropriate behavior on behalf of DL by the refund department. Rogue employees taking punitive action against customers.
Another way to look at it:

I got through on the phone today to move my non-fund flight to next month. I knew what I wanted and they gave it to me. But then I started some small talk and they terminated the connection.
I suspect the agents are very much over-worked, so you really need to make it easy for them by specifying what you want in as short a time as possible. and keep the questions to a minimum and on point
Old May 6, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Very frustrating data point:
On March 29, a phone agent told me she was issuing a refund request after my April flights were canceled.
On March 30, customer care sent me an email saying that a request was sent to the refund team and it should be refunded in 30 days.
On April 25, I followed up with an agent on messenger who said it was in process and might take more than 30 days and I just had to wait.
On May 5, I followed up with an agent and said the refund was never requested, and if I haven't received an email confirming a refund request has been placed, with a refund request confirmation number. She then put in a request, sending me to the back of the queue, saying I should wait...30 more days.
​​​
Old May 6, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Data point here.

My refund that was requested on 3/23 (100GC plus CC as original payment) was refunded today 5/6. The other ticket cancelled at the same time was a next day refund. So it would look like it's taking them either 31 or 32 business days (depending on if Good Friday is a holiday for Delta employees.)
Old May 6, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Very frustrating data point:
On March 29, a phone agent told me she was issuing a refund request after my April flights were canceled.
On March 30, customer care sent me an email saying that a request was sent to the refund team and it should be refunded in 30 days.
On April 25, I followed up with an agent on messenger who said it was in process and might take more than 30 days and I just had to wait.
On May 5, I followed up with an agent and said the refund was never requested, and if I haven't received an email confirming a refund request has been placed, with a refund request confirmation number. She then put in a request, sending me to the back of the queue, saying I should wait...30 more days.
​​​
Rogue DL phone agents are cancelling the previously queued ticket requests. Happened to me. Really poor on DL's part. This behavior should be investigated.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
My request from 4/12 was still showing as Pending this morning. I sent a message to Twitter asking if they could look into it and the agent said they went in and processed it manually, but it could still take 7 days to hit my credit card. I checked the status again and it has moved from "Pending" to "Refunded" so at least there's that (fingers crossed...) but as with phone agents this may depend on the particular person handing the Twitter request so YMMV.
Posted to my credit card this morning.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Any experience with unused credits (and to a lesser extent upgrades)?

I understand all the policies around COVID but what about credits from pre-COVID? I have three that are expiring soon and I have not been able to use them because of COVID.

When you talk to agents they always say no problem, we will be flexible, I'm sure you will be able to use them, etc. but that is not what the policy says. Until I know when and where I can fly I can't use them.

I used one for a ticket that I now have to cancel that falls under the no fee rule, but will the e-credit be for one year of the date of the ticket or the original e-credit date? If it goes back to e-credit I'll have four vouchers!

I'm less concerned about upgrades but I have two RUC expiring; I had three, and one of them backed up six months along with some GUCs that still had several months left. I've been waiting to see if those other two reset but it's been about two weeks since the rest did.
update: all my e-credits have extended to 2022; however, 2 of my 3 RUC still expire in September (one of them extended 6 months). I wonder if they will ever extend
Old May 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Datapoint Update

Originally Posted by dtwlarry
Sorry so many are struggling to get their refunds. Our story is a unique one, as you will see!
I bought 3 tickets for our family for a non-stop r/t DTW-CDG for a mid-June college grad gift for my son (including LeMans), using SkyMiles during a flashsale into Comfort+ last fall. We used FCM to bump each of us up to D1, in sequential months, so our joint confirmation number was then split into 3 separate ones, one for each of us.
Flight was cancelled during the change on Saturday night (May 2nd). (And dammit, we got bumped from a 764 to an A359. Fudge!) I called the SM hotline, got the call back, the agent walked through, took about 35 minutes to get all three confirmation numbers lined up for reversal. The agent suggested the refunds should have processing movement within 48 hours. As you'll see below, not only YMMV, so did mine!
The kicker at this time? 2 of the 3 seats SkyMiles were reimbursed on Sunday, third remains MIA. 3 of 3 taxes/fees were reimbursed to AmEx last night. 2 of 3 FCM's into D1 were reimbursed last night.
So, I can relate somewhat to what several are putting up with, hopefully we're all made whole soon enough. Good luck, fellow Delta flyers!
Allowing me to quote, me.
So, I waited 72 hours, called 800-847-0578, stayed on hold over an hour, closer to 1h 15m, then spent 30 minutes as the agent worked through the screens and processes, got the missing SkyMiles reimbursed while on the phone, and received an email with my reimbursement for the last FCM we were waiting on. Hoping to see that in my AmEx soon...not the 30 days they quoted. I'll update when that occurs.
Again, best of luck to everyone waiting for their various reimbursements!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.