Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So if we need to cancel award flights, get miles re-deposited and the fees waived for that, that cannot be done through their web portal? Just before I hit the "cancel flight" button on that page. Thanks.

Nevermind. But for further people in my same situation, the DL website handled the cancellation easy peezy. No fees and all miles re-deposited fee free. Man this sucks.
Thank you for updating your response. I actually posted the same kind of question yesterday. When you clicked the "cancel" button on your flight is that the point of no return or does it show you that you will not be charged a fee before proceeding? That was my hesitancy was clicking the cancel button. Obviously I would much rather cancel my flights online then have to call in and sit in the queue for hours.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
My round-trip booking was cancelled once, then I rebooked it and then one of the legs was cancelled. So, I decided to not call and just wait because I'm tired of being on hold. So, miraculously today I checked the app and Delta automatically changed two of the flights and instead of going to LAX it will go to SLC and be quicker to get to Tucson. Fingers crossed that the changes coming tomorrow Saturday won't affect my flights again.🤞
Old May 17, 2020, 5:53 am

Data point

Hi, adding a refund timeliness data point. Used the callback function this past Tuesday, caledl at 6:30 a.m. East coast time and had a 38 minute call back window. Did not hear back from Delta until 8:30 a.m. So 2 hours, not bad considering I didn't have to wait on hold. Family vacation to Italy, Boston to Rome was canceled a couple of weeks ago. My confirmation number did not work on the website any longer. anyway, long story short she went through the refund process as our flights were canceled. It only took 4 days for the refund to show up on my Chase bonvoy card. (She said it could have taken 30 business days) After reading through this thread it seems that perhaps my refund was completed manually, but I can't say that for sure.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Thank you for updating your response. I actually posted the same kind of question yesterday. When you clicked the "cancel" button on your flight is that the point of no return or does it show you that you will not be charged a fee before proceeding? That was my hesitancy was clicking the cancel button. Obviously I would much rather cancel my flights online then have to call in and sit in the queue for hours.
No. But it's still not as safe as you think. All it does after that is pull up your trip, showing all flights and then asks, do you want to cancel. Then it will show you a "receipt" that details out how many miles you are getting back, taxes being refunded and fees (if any). Our trip was all mileage, with taxes paid via credit card. So maybe ours is one of the easy scenarios. YMMV and those kinds of things.

Good luck!
Old May 17, 2020, 12:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shoodawg
As of tonight, Delta Refunds Dept are processing refunds from last week in March.
That was the message I got from calling 1-800-847-0578 too. But does that mean that refunds from early April will take one to two weeks more? Are they processed roughly in order? It seems like some people get their refunds quickly and others wait for months.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Any updates on DL Vacations refunds? I only cancelled mine last week, so I know I'm much further behind in the process than you guys are -- just curious...
I canceled my Delta Vacation on April 13, and received my voucher in the mail this past Friday (May 15.) The voucher doesn't reveal much new information other than a voucher number. It also references the original booking number, so I assume the credit could always be found with that number. The vouchers says it expires 12/31/21. I assume that means it can be used for travel available until EOS as of the day booked, but it doesn't say either way. It also states it can't be used for Dive or Ski packages or some of the other third-party packages.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I have two refunds from the first and second weeks of March that still haven't been processed. I contacted DL yesterday, and after an hour wait for a callback the phone agent was useless- she wouldn't look up the case numbers, just told me 'we have over 500,000 refunds, you just have to wait'. I tried Twitter and after an afternoon of back and forth was told it would be at least another week. The odd thing is that I had numerous other tickets refunded with refund requests placed weeks later. Hopefully not a bad sign...
I called in on 4/10 for refunds on two separate tickets (FCO, SYD). The FCO ticket was refunded relatively quickly. The SYD ticket hits 30 days this Friday. What are my options if they miss the 30 day deadline?

In addition, last Thurs (5/14), I went online to try and get an e-credit for a cancelled trip to GVA. When I did modify then cancel, I was sent through a process for a refund, not an e-credit. I got one email about the refund, not two emails like the 4/10 tickets. The itinerary still shows up under "my trips". I went through the modify/cancel process again and all it gave me was notice about the original attempt on 5/14.

Do I have to call in for these things? I previously tried Twitter about the SYD ticket and that did not advance the cause.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:50 pm

Anyone know what it means when I can no longer see the refund on the website? I use to see 3 items on the site (2 upgrades that were successfully refunded and then the pended new ticket(it was moved from a trip to Rome to a trip to Argentina which was then canceled)). It was pending for 21 days then the representative I spoke to Sunday said she was gonna pull it and manually process it but then changed her mind since it was split between 2 cards for original and fare difference and now the next day I cant see the 3rd item that was pending? Does that mean its gone and I need to start over again?
Old May 19, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Steven Citrin
Anyone know what it means when I can no longer see the refund on the website? I use to see 3 items on the site (2 upgrades that were successfully refunded and then the pended new ticket(it was moved from a trip to Rome to a trip to Argentina which was then canceled)). It was pending for 21 days then the representative I spoke to Sunday said she was gonna pull it and manually process it but then changed her mind since it was split between 2 cards for original and fare difference and now the next day I cant see the 3rd item that was pending? Does that mean its gone and I need to start over again?
I had a refund that was showing as PENDING on the site until this morning. I now receive the message

Oh no! We're sorry, but we were unable to locate the refund information for the ticket or document number entered. Please check the entry and try again.
If this problem persists, please call Delta at 800-847-0578.

I hoping this means the refund was processed and a refund confirmation email should be hitting my inbox shortly followed by the refund to my CC. As a data point, my refund was requested 3/26 and the refund status page stopped showing status pending on 5/19.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by JAeX
I had a refund that was showing as PENDING on the site until this morning. I now receive the message

I hoping this means the refund was processed and a refund confirmation email should be hitting my inbox shortly followed by the refund to my CC. As a data point, my refund was requested 3/26 and the refund status page stopped showing status pending on 5/19.
If your refund finally comes through, I would like to know what DL said to you when they passed the 30 day threshold.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Just got another "reassuring" email from Delta. Therein it states:

"If you have travel booked through Sept. 30, 2020, or existing eCredits from flights March 1st through Sept. 30, 2020, there are no change fees to reschedule your trip through Sept. 30, 2022. In addition, tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee for a year from your date of purchase."

What??? It's these kind of statements that drive me nuts. The second statement seems to contradict the first statement. This isn't the first time I've wrapped myself around an axle trying to figure out what their refund/change fee policies are.

Does the first sentence refer to tickets already purchased and the second sentence refer to tickets that have not yet been purchased? If so, why refer to a date of March 1 in the second sentence, since that is in the past?
Old May 19, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jtrue28
No. But it's still not as safe as you think. All it does after that is pull up your trip, showing all flights and then asks, do you want to cancel. Then it will show you a "receipt" that details out how many miles you are getting back, taxes being refunded and fees (if any). Our trip was all mileage, with taxes paid via credit card. So maybe ours is one of the easy scenarios. YMMV and those kinds of things.

Good luck!
Delta really needs to fix this "cancel" button text - I absolutely refused to click this button to process cancellation online because I wanted to see what I was getting back, which obviously increases call volumes.

Now that you've told me about this, I got the courage to do it online, which of course worked.
jtrue28 likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by safigan

"If you have travel booked through Sept. 30, 2020, or existing eCredits from flights March 1st through Sept. 30, 2020, there are no change fees to reschedule your trip through Sept. 30, 2022. In addition, tickets purchased between March 1 and May 31, 2020, can be changed without a change fee for a year from your date of purchase."

What??? It's these kind of statements that drive me nuts. The second statement seems to contradict the first statement. This isn't the first time I've wrapped myself around an axle trying to figure out what their refund/change fee policies are.

Does the first sentence refer to tickets already purchased and the second sentence refer to tickets that have not yet been purchased? If so, why refer to a date of March 1 in the second sentence, since that is in the past?
It looks like they're trying to simplify a nuanced policy which is just making it more confusing. Here are all the details. Delta Cancel Change Requirements

To try to answer your question:
  • The first statement applies to travel booked on or before April 17th for departure dates through September. Those flights can be rescheduled for any time before September 30th without a fare difference assuming same O/D. They can also be used to book a different trip (fare difference applies) or converted to vouchers valid through September 2022 with no change fee.
  • The second statement applies to tickets purchased during March-May that don't meet the requirements for the first statement. Those can be used to book new flights through ticket validity (one year from date of purchase) with no change fees, but the fare difference applies.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:38 am

This basically means if you booked a flight BEFORE 1st March, you can get an e-credit for it, the value of which will be valid till around 2022. Or you can change the original flight etc.
If you buy a flight today (or between March-May), only changes are free (fare-difference applies)

But yeah, their rules are very convluted. All airlines should just go to a simple Southwest model.
Old May 19, 2020, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

It's not contradictory. There are two categories of ticket being referred to:

1. tickets with departure dates on or before Sep 30, 2020 (no matter when you booked them)
2. tickets that were/are booked between Mar 1 and May 31, 2020 (no matter when the dates of travel are)

the two categories can overlap, but there could be tickets that fall in one or the other but not both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.