Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old Mar 22, 20, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tearex
Delta: Can I Cancel/Change My Flight?

Some important info about award tickets is buried on the Coronavirus Travel Updates overview page: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/coronavirus-travel/overview

Click to expand FAQs at the bottom, item 10:

10. What if I paid for my original trip with miles?

The same rules apply whether a flight is booked with cash or miles. For award flights that qualify for a change fee waiver, we are also waiving the mile redeposit fee.
i.e. if the same ticket would be eligible for a change fee waiver if it were a cash ticket, then it is eligible for a waived redeposit fee as an award ticket.

Refund Status Checker: https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkRefundsStatusAction.action

Print Wikipost

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Old May 7, 20, 1:35 pm

Sounds exactly what I am going through. Had a flight canceled for a trip in October back on March 29 as well and called and agent put a request in for a refund and I got the generic email but no TRR number was it. Gave it the 21 days the email quoted and called in after I got nothing and they said they couldnt see anything about a refund to track it so they started it over. At this point ive gone ahead and disputed the charge with PayPal which is who I used to pay for it because its not over a month and ive had to call 3 times cause even the 2nd request I couldnt track in the system so they reissued it again.....this is all just for 1 trip I dont even expect my refund back at this point for the other trip that got canceled and is still in pending status.
Old May 7, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Delta Vacations ticket called to cancel in Mid-April.
Got call from Delta Vacations today saying the hotel was unable to accommodate me, I inquire saying I cancelled it, they said, nope, saying the trip was never cancelled. Confirmed I'd get "miles back in the form of a voucher." No email or any confirmation given.

They don't know what they're doing.

Now waiting on 3 refunds going on a month. (4/4)
Old May 8, 20, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernDiscomfort View Post
Data point update: I submitted a refund request for 3 tix on 4/5/2020 and today (5/4/2020) I got a email notification that my refund had been processed. Using the Check Refund Status site I see that the refund was approved for *one* of the tickets, and the other two are still showing a Pending status.
I just spent 40 minutes waiting for an agent on the DL website messaging service. After I explained the situation that 2 of the 3 tix on the itinerary were still stuck in Pending, the agent was apologetic and processed them for refund, and I immediately got the confirmation emails. I'd expect the credits to hit the card in the next couple of days based on the experience for the first ticket earlier this week.
Old May 8, 20, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by SouthernDiscomfort View Post
I just spent 40 minutes waiting for an agent on the DL website messaging service. After I explained the situation that 2 of the 3 tix on the itinerary were still stuck in Pending, the agent was apologetic and processed them for refund, and I immediately got the confirmation emails. I'd expect the credits to hit the card in the next couple of days based on the experience for the first ticket earlier this week.
It's nice to hear but it's really frustrating -- the agents obviously have the power to instantly process the refund but they don't.

I just get the generic "Sorry but it takes 30 business days" response if speaking to an agent or in a Twitter DM. I've only called twice during the last month and spoke on Twitter once.

Is there something specific to say to get them to speed it up? Do I just request that the agent process it him/herself?
Old May 8, 20, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
So think I cancelled two bookings that I made early March for a flight in July. These were AM coded flights on 006 stock. They were paid for with a combination of GC's and a credit card. Issue is that when I went through the steps of cancelling the bookings, the system did not process the cancellations. Instead it sent me to another form where I had to enter my name and the ticket numbers.The bookings are still showing up in my Upcoming Trips section. Is that normal? I've never had to cancel reservations before.

I never received an email or anything else stating that I had submitted a cancellation for the bookings. I am not in a deperate state to recoup my money but I am prepared to spend hours on the phone to make sure that the cancellations have been received and are being processed.
Old May 9, 20, 9:50 am

I had upcoming flight that I wanted to move out a few months. The website wouldn't let me change it for some reason.

I sent a message on Twitter with the new date and that I wanted to upgrade since the fare difference was <$50. I got a reply back within a few minutes saying they had already changed the date and just needed my phone number to process the upgrade payment, the rep called a couple minutes later and it was complete. A+ service.
Old May 10, 20, 4:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Question for you experienced people:
Had a ticket for transatlantic (Europe-USA-Europe on delta ticket) flights scheduled mid-June. Half of my flights have already been cancelled (kl and af so partners flight) and they did not rebooked automatically to other flights because there is no anyway.
I know that due to corona it is basically possible to change without fare difference up to Sept 30th.
As I have had flight cancellation, am I authorized to get rebooked on the same itinerary later than Sept 30th without fare difference ? Only if the booking class is available on the flights ? Or fare difference will always apply ?

My fare rule was allowing unlimited stopover for free. Can I add a stopover and rethink the itinerary because of the cancellation ? Like first intra euro flight before September and transatlantic flight later on after a stopover of several months ?
Old May 10, 20, 7:18 am

Rebooked on flight with connection- can I get a refund?

I booked a direct flight between the East Coast and West Coast. I got an email now that both legs or the round trip were changed to connecting flights. I was going to cancel anyway because of COVID, but do I have grounds for a cash refund now because the original flight number was cancelled by DL? I would much rather cash than voucher given uncertainty of the situation into next year.
Old May 10, 20, 7:37 am

Their policy states if they delay or schedule change your flight greater than 90 minutes you are eligible to request a cash refund.
Old May 10, 20, 9:13 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Signature
Adding a stop entitles you to a refund.

Your original post said direct flight. Thats not necessarily the same as non stop flight. But for the sake of the post Im going to assume thats what you meant.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think I'm late to the party on this question, but I'm trying to get a refund from a flight in June that the departure time was changed to 5 hours later and return 3 hours later. These changes fall well outside of limits (90 mins?) so a refund should be permitted, right? Why can't I just do this on the website??? Is filling out that form and waiting the only option?

I tried calling, and as a GM my hold time is estimated at 5 hours....
Old May 10, 20, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The 90 minutes does not matter.

If the original nonstop (I will accept the same convention that OP meant nonstop) has been cancelled, then OP is entitled to a refund, even if there is a reroute which arrives at the same time. The DOT rules from 2011 and the clear language of the Warning Letter issued by DOT on April 3, state that a refund is due if a flight is cancelled OR there is a significant change.
Old May 10, 20, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I think I'm late to the party on this question, but I'm trying to get a refund from a flight in June that the departure time was changed to 5 hours later and return 3 hours later. These changes fall well outside of limits (90 mins?) so a refund should be permitted, right? Why can't I just do this on the website??? Is filling out that form and waiting the only option?

I tried calling, and as a GM my hold time is estimated at 5 hours....
Wait a few days. A huge percentage of people with notifications are probably calling this morning. I had an airport change (so want a refund). Trip isn't for a month - I was going to call today but after reading your post, I'll wait.
Adam1222 and jdrtravel like this.
Old May 10, 20, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by kpbadger View Post
Adding a stop entitles you to a refund.

Your original post said direct flight. Thats not necessarily the same as non stop flight. But for the sake of the post Im going to assume thats what you meant.
Yes meant nonstop , thank you!
Old May 10, 20, 11:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
45 days ago an itn cleared via RUCs from C+ to F, but a significant schedule change occurred a day later. I cancelled on www.delta.com and within minutes got an email that I would get a FULL refund, seemed nice; BUT, the automated system has trouble dealing with both RUC and "real $" refunds. I called 25 days later, an agent sorted things out, 2 days later my $ credit was on my CC--the RUCs went back into the "unused" pile.
Yesterday I got an email about a MAJOR schedule change for a flight in early June for a ticket with an RUC upg. JFK-LAS-JFK, ns to 1 stop with big time differences...I'll have to call.

Search this Thread