Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPtoMEL
Looking for some guidance here. Spouse and I were supposed to fly MSP-ATL-MAD on May 7, returning May 24 LIS-BOS-MSP. Today I see the trip is gone from my trips and I have a credit that has no amount but matches my ticket # in my wallet. Quick dummy booking and the int'l legs are no longer scheduled, so I assume they're cancelled. But as yet, no email or other confirmation from DL.

I was going to cancel eventually for obvious reasons but waited because I want the refund, not a credit (don't worry Delta, you'll get the trip eventually!). I am wondering if it is time to call for a refund due to cancellation or whether this is some DL IT glitch and the flights will reappear. Has anyone seen this process before?
Can't add any info yet, but just landed it what seems like exact same situation. Had BOS-DTW-FRA round trip (5/22-6/1) booked, was waiting until they changed the flight to try to get a refund. Yesterday the flights disappeared and now my account shows a credit with an error message for value, and expiring 12 months from original ticket date. Definitely need to get that fixed or refunded as we're unlikely to be able to take this vacation trip in 2020 at this rate. Only notice received was a very generic, undetailed email saying "your trip has been cancelled, you're getting a credit."

Currently DL is offering alternate itineraries for our original travel dates, but they're now on double connection routes via some combination or DTW/ATL and CDG/AMS both ways. I'm assuming that going from one connection to two should normally qualify for a refund.

Planning to give it a couple days to see if something shakes out then I'll try to see if I can get answers. I'll be sure to post back on what happens as a non-status non-regular DL flyer.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Strange indeed, since that should've been a layup

So this is irrelevant now, but just out of curiosity did you try HUCA or asking for a supervisor? I wonder if the problem is with specific agents...
I... don't know how asking for a supervisor on Twitter would work. I guess there's probably some escalation process there. But no, I never ended up calling specifically about that trip or escalating it further since the date was further out and I didn't want to clog the phone lines. The agent was "Anna" on Twitter. I believe the time frame is right around that Twitter 'blackhole' mentioned previously, since it was mid-March. Anyways, my last DM to DL was for this trip and it still shows as unseen.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Question: If one cancels a paid ticket for travel in June, does the credit show immediately or do you have to wait until June to get the credit?

Delta site says:
"Your unused ticket will be applied as an eCredit within 24 hours of your originally scheduled travel. If your ticket is eligible for waived fees, you will not be charged a change fee."

So does this mean - no eCredit for a couple of months?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cova
Question: If one cancels a paid ticket for travel in June, does the credit show immediately or do you have to wait until June to get the credit?

Delta site says:
"Your unused ticket will be applied as an eCredit within 24 hours of your originally scheduled travel. If your ticket is eligible for waived fees, you will not be charged a change fee."

Give it a little time. It will show up. What people need to understand is that the Delta systems are under extreme usage. Everything can be traced back to the original ticket number. As long as you can produce that Delta can track pretty much everything. Things may take a little longer than normal, but it will work out. As discussed earlier, some agents have more authority to do things in the moment. Some do not, not particularly unusual these days. Delta is not going to try and do anything to make consumers unhappy. Just keep track of things, so that you can make it easier to get to the end result.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:47 pm

Used Skymiles, ecredits

Our trip to Ireland was cancelled yesterday by Delta. We used Skymiles for the flight and I am wondering if the miles will be re-deposited back into our Skymiles accounts and if we are refunded the amount of taxes we paid.

I have never had a flight cancelled before but due to the current COVID situation this is to be expected. The cancellation email mentions ecredits but I guess I don't understand if this means the miles get re-deposited or if a value is attached to the miles in the form of a dollar amount/ecredit.

Looking online at our Delta accounts there are no credits applied yet but I'm sure this takes some time. What should I expect to happen with these miles and taxes and is there anything I need to do to ensure that all is taken care of correctly?
Thank you-
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Delta site says:

I believe that applies if you just don't show up for the flight. If you already canceled it, you should have the credit. Delta's systems are a bit overloaded, so I don't know when it will show up; but if you want to use it, you can call in and they should be able to find it from the ticket number.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:27 pm

So I canceled my delta comfort plus ticket that was supposed to fly next week because conference got canceled. Seem I got a full credit using the same ticket number. My question now, if I use this credit to buy a new ticket let's say for late May, will I be able to change/cancel it for free again? Or because it's a different pay system (not a real payment) and/or already got the cancelation fee waved first time then I cannot do it again? In case I can, what is the deadline for free changes?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
So I canceled my delta comfort plus ticket that was supposed to fly next week because conference got canceled. Seem I got a full credit using the same ticket number. My question now, if I use this credit to buy a new ticket let's say for late May, will I be able to change/cancel it for free again? Or because it's a different pay system (not a real payment) and/or already got the cancelation fee waved first time then I cannot do it again? In case I can, what is the deadline for free changes?
I was trying to lead up to this question as well.

Given - paid domestic F ticket for beginning of June. $700.
Plan to use that credit to rebook a Delta One RT to London for October. $3400.

Here are the choices:

1. Cancel the domestic ticket for credit. Then apply that credit to the new ticket purchase. This would reset the one-time change, thus able to change the new ticket if needed. Question was - how long to get the credit to show in delta.com?.

2. Rebook the existing domestic ticket but change it to the different itinerary for the international flight. I would assume the credit would immediately be applied so the new ticket cost is reduced by the cost of the earlier ticket. But - does doing this use the one-time change - as asked by the OP?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:39 am

I was trying to lead up to this question as well.

Given - paid domestic F ticket for beginning of June. $700.
Plan to use that credit to rebook a Delta One RT to London for October. $3400.

Here are the choices:

1. Cancel the domestic ticket for credit. Then apply that credit to the new ticket purchase. This would reset the one-time change, thus able to change the new ticket if needed. Question was - how long to get the credit to show in delta.com?.

2. Rebook the existing domestic ticket but change it to the different itinerary for the international flight. I would assume the credit would immediately be applied so the new ticket cost is reduced by the cost of the earlier ticket. But - does doing this use the one-time change - as asked by the OP?
You should get the eCredit pretty fast. I cancelled a early July trip (booked in March) and eCredit has been sitting in my wallet for awhile now.

I don't know if it resets the one-time change if the ticket was booked before March (there's a post a little bit upthread as a DP). See #931
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:23 pm

I currently have a refundable ticket for a flight in October. I need to change the date on that flight but I’m only about 90% certain on which date right now. If I change from a refundable flight to a non-refundable right right now, would that new flight qualify for these more generous “no fee” changes?

I kinda wanna book now before fares jump, but there is a slight chance I’ll need to change it in June or July and I don’t want to agree myself over...
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
So my flight SNA-ATL-JNB on 5/6 is cancelled, my wife got an email to that effect (I did not). I called DL yesterday to get as refund, got through in less than 5 minutes and the rep reminded me I could have an eCredit (which I politely declined) and she went on to process the refund without a fuss.

At the end of the call she said that we should see the credit to the original cards (I used a business one for myself and personal one for Mrs t,), and that I'd get an email shortly to confirm. The refund would take '7-21 days', but likely less than 14...

All well and good.

Except, I never got the confirmation email, and my wallet shows a $100 eCredit. There's also an unused eTicket in there, valid until 5/31/21, which I assume if the ticket (no value available).
Do you think I should call in again, or wait and see how things move?

(Also, I don't think the two GUCs I used have been redeposited. Should I expect to see those?)

Thanks team, keep safe!
octr202 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Up-thread I noted that I canceled a flt and received an email that I will receive a refund to my cc; in my "voucher" list on www.delta.com there was an ecredit for the exact value of the cancelled flt.. Now the ecredit shows NO $ amt.--maybe(?) that means the refund to my cc is imminent.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:50 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So I have two tix for upcoming flights (that have been cancelled by KLM) in May for LAX-AMS-OSL-AMS-LAX booked via Delta in economy, upgraded on all segments operated by KLM using a GUC at the time of booking. Clearly the trip isn't going to happen. I called to shift it to September but they couldn't get the same flights at all to stay in J since KLM didn't have any seats in that fare class. Isn't it just "Z" class which is the discounted biz class? They ended up offering a double connection with DL operated flights to AMS connecting onwards on KLM, but I didn't want to take that. Any thoughts??
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes for GUC, since you booked on a DL ticket, you need Z inventory on the KLM flights. By that I also mean Z showing up under the KLM flight numbers, not the DL codeshares.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yay! Finally all resolved.

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Posting an update to my situation and hopefully will help others as another datapoint:

This morning my Amex reflected the refund from DL for my ticket only. Still nothing regarding my husband's ticket. Checked his Skymiles Wallet and the credit is still sitting there. Since I had some time to burn I decided to call the DL Refunds number at the bottom of my refund confirmation email.

It was a brief automated system where I input my husband's e-ticket number. The system stated the refund had not yet been processed, but as it had been more than 7 days, would I like to speak to a representative? I responded yes, and was then asked to input my Skymiles number. I put mine in as I'm PM not knowing if it would make a difference in the wait times for a refund agent or not.

Within about one minute an agent answered "Platinum Desk Refunds, how may I help?" She was super friendly and I provided her the basics of the situation: one ticket had refunded properly to my card while the other was still showing as a credit. Both were on the same PNR and Refund Request ID. After providing her a few numbers she put me on hold. About two minutes later she came back on saying everything was taken care of. She was not sure why the system refunded my ticket, but elected to keep my husband's as a credit. She manually refunded his back to my Amex (original form of payment). Since then he has received an email stating the refund was confirmed, a receipt for it shows in his My Receipts, and the e-credit from the trip is now gone from the Wallet. Based on the timing of when I received my refund confirmation email I should see his refund post to my Amex in about 2 days.

So all in all it was more involved than it needed to be, but I have been happy with all of my interactions with DL. The agents have been very friendly and helpful despite everything going on. I'll post again once the refund for his ticket shows up, but based on my interactions today I feel that it will.

I do agree with another poster who said some agents are manually issuing refunds while others are running it through a form in the system. If you are lucky to get an agent that will do it manually that is the way to go. Perhaps mine did it today only because the system partially messed it up over the last two weeks.

Now if I can only get TicketMaster to refund my event tickets has well. Approaching 30 days since the event was cancelled and still no refund...
Just wanted to post a final update/data point in my journey to get a refund. This morning I checked my Amex and I was happy to see the final refund owed, which was for my husband's ticket that for some reason did not get refunded with mine during our original refund request. So now I have the proper refunds for both passengers, which totaled just over $1700.

A few things I learned along the way that can hopefully help others:

1. If you can get an agent to manually process the refund, things will go significantly faster. If that's the case, the email you will receive will have the subject "Your Refund Confirmation is Enclosed." More than likely you will then see the refund to your card in only 2 or 3 business days. The email will contain the specific e-ticket number, refund amount, and CC to be refunded to.

2. If the agent simply runs it through the refund form (it seems most are) expect it to take a while. They are quoting 7-21 business days and I would expect 14 days minimum. The subject line will read "Your Refund Request Confirmation." Similar to the other subject line, but it only contains a Refund Request ID and e-ticket number submitted for refund. It does not specify the CC to be refunded to or the amount.

3. If the later happens, where the agent runs it through the form, you will possibly see an e-credit appear in your My Wallet a week or so into the request for the exact amount. Once the refund is processed the credit will disappear.

4. Monitor the refund request carefully on your CC as if you have multiple passengers on a single PNR not all may be refunded due to a system glitch. If this happens, call in and it is an easy fix via the Refunds Number found in your refund request confirmation email.

So all in all the process was a bit more cumbersome than it needed to be. But, given all things considered, I am happy with the service I received from DL. They made it right and were professional and courteous at all times (as was I... which helps things along too )

To date I have cancelled 2 reservations as a result of this virus. The first we received an e-credit on. The e-credit displays in both of our Skymiles Wallets. The expiration date is still wrong, but this is a known issue DL is working to fix. The second reservation I cancelled was the one mentioned above we received a refund on. We still have 3 remaining reservations for June, July, and October. I'm waiting until closer in to make a definitive decision on them and to keep an eye out for significant schedule changes that will enable the refund option.

Hope this helps!
Loran and Keyser like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.