Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
The following two links are updated daily:

IATA international transit / arrival policies re: Wuhan 2019-nCoV

WHO Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation reports

Other Discussions on FlyerTalk Pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is now also known as COVID-2019:
Print Wikipost

DL Corona Virus-COVID-19 / Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I am in PVG right now, scheduled to fly out tomorrow. The city is VERY quiet, and everyone is wearing masks. Just got off the phone with Delta and they want to upfare my DeltaOne ticket by several thousand dollars if I want to fly out today. They tell me that the waiver only applies to the change fee, NOT any applicable fare difference. Trying to decide what to do.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I am in PVG right now, scheduled to fly out tomorrow. The city is VERY quiet, and everyone is wearing masks. Just got off the phone with Delta and they want to upfare my DeltaOne ticket by several thousand dollars if I want to fly out today. They tell me that the waiver only applies to the change fee, NOT any applicable fare difference. Trying to decide what to do.
I would start with a HUACA. The waiver has some weird verbiage in places, but overall seems to imply that there's no fare difference collected if the flights are same O&D, and and before Feb 29th.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
I would start with a HUACA. The waiver has some weird verbiage in places, but overall seems to imply that there's no fare difference collected if the flights are same O&D, and and before Feb 29th.
Just tried again. New agent reconfirmed that the waiver ONLY applies to the change fee. Significant (several thousand dollar) upfare due to last minute travel change is still applicable.

Trying to decide whether to hunker down here in my hotel room for an extra 18 hours (entire city is basically shut down).
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Just tried again. New agent reconfirmed that the waiver ONLY applies to the change fee. Significant (several thousand dollar) upfare due to last minute travel change is still applicable.

Trying to decide whether to hunker down here in my hotel room for an extra 18 hours (entire city is basically shut down).
Hmmm. Very sorry to hear that. Hope everything works out for you.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL

If you speak Cantonese or Chinese, maybe try the Delta reservation line for mainland China? The result might be the same, but in my experience, I always find the agent to be super helpful in this channel.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by lonelygod
If you speak Cantonese or Chinese, maybe try the Delta reservation line for mainland China? The result might be the same, but in my experience, I always find the agent to be super helpful in this channel.
Thanks; good idea. Ive reached out on Twitter, and they are checking now.

Will try that next.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:22 pm

Just got off the phone with Delta and they want to upfare my DeltaOne ticket by several thousand dollars if I want to fly out today. They tell me that the waiver only applies to the change fee, NOT any applicable fare difference. Trying to decide what to do.
what??? that's unlike any other waiver I've ever seen them issue.

I went to the website to read the actual waiver, you should HUCA. Fare difference is only if you really move your flight waaaay back

*When rescheduled travel occurs beyond February 29, 2020, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:27 pm

Delta twitter is now telling me nothing is available. So I’m sending them a screen shot of delta.com page showing availability.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:34 pm

Delta Twitter found the availability I saw but is telling me the same thing as the first two agents I spoke with, they are refusing to reschedule me to leave early unless I am willing to upfare.

It feels like this policy was written from the perspective of travelers who haven’t yet departed. They are emphasizing that I can extend my trip in Shanghai.

Also, if I follow the procedures outlined at the website, the only thing that happens is the change fee gets waived... substantial upfare is still being applied.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:36 pm

They are emphasizing that I can extend my trip in Shanghai.
hahahahahah wow
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:38 pm

they're straight up profiteering, they think they can find people who are freaking out that will cough up full fares to get out. Anyway, I think if you're in the PVG area you're probably fine for another 18 hours.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
they're straight up profiteering, they think they can find people who are freaking out that will cough up full fares to get out. Anyway, I think if you're in the PVG area you're probably fine for another 18 hours.
I think so, as well. But my family back home is freaking out.

And there is literally nothing to do here... very quiet, everything closed, hard to find taxis, etc.

As an aside, Delta Twitter is now telling me that upgrades are not a part of the waiver policy, that it is same cabin only. So I’m attempting to explain to them that I am holding a revenue business class ticket in DeltaOne already.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; Jan 26, 2020 at 4:49 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:50 pm

Now that they realize I am holding a business class ticket, they are saying that they don’t really have any DeltaOne seats available after all, as the last seat has just been sold.

Checking delta.com, I see they are correct.
puddinhead likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:54 pm

PVG to US flights are showing weird availability for the next several days. Listed as sold out, but seat maps show lots of empty seats. I think Delta is holding inventory incase this blows up. I suppose its a possibility that all the flights are really sold out, but why do the seat maps show empty seats? Can anyone with expertflyer see inventory for PVG DTW flight for the next few days?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:19 pm

Question: HKG_Flyer1 when you go on your delta app, under upgrade/standby for your flight, how many seats does it list for standby, and also d1 or premium select/ comfort+ upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.