Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Widgets
It looks like the change was implemented some time last week. Have others noticed this?
Most definitely. Check the posts back to last week and a number of people have reported their "success".
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, read the past several pages of this thread. We've also noticed that lots of agents are not aware of this.
That includes me until today. I think agents would be informed when the change is publicized. I only noticed when I saw a GM companion above a PM this morning.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:54 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
That includes me until today. I think agents would be informed when the change is publicized. I only noticed when I saw a GM companion above a PM this morning.
They have updated the SkyMiles News page on Delta.com
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html

Would expect an email at some point but that hasn't been sent yet.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Wait. How would a GM companion be above a PM in any scenario? (or was it a GM companion of a DM?)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
It looks like the change was implemented some time last week. Have others noticed this?
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, read the past several pages of this thread. We've also noticed that lots of agents are not aware of this.
Ruh Roo! Enter gate agent SHENA - i.e. "This is not right let me fix this".
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Ruh Roo! Enter gate agent SHENA - i.e. "This is not right let me fix this".
It's on Deltanet as of 4:20pm today.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I still find this hard to believe... after I've tried so hard to get my companion to GM so enhance our upgrade opportunities. I guess GM still has other benefits such as free SDC.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
It's on Deltanet as of 4:20pm today.
Timely (since it was public on the 13th)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TTT
Not on award tickets though. Both parties need to be Medallion for companion award ticket upgrades.
Still TBD. T&C on the old page say no to award tickets, but the text within the new T&C are vague as it says nothing about award tickets.

I'm leaning to believe that it will be valid as if you strictly go by UG when highest medallion member is eligible then technically for a DM they are eligible for award tickets. So thus right now the implementation needs a small fix.

If the award ticket is ineligible for companion UG's then right now folks are getting a nice gift.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think for award tickets Delta's logic is working like this:

1. There are no companion upgrades on award tickets.
2. Medallions (all medallions) have an exception to this rule as a benefit of loyalty.
3. Non medallions never get this exception, even when they are a companion to a medallion.
4. When the exception is applied, companion upgrades work the same way as they do for cash tickets: highest level medallion drives priority, award tickets taking the lowest priority among eligible fare classes for Delta customers, but above sky team and other eligible non-Sky Miles groups.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
So rules say same reservation, does linking your reservations count or is it the same PNR. I had an agent say she could link the reservations and it would work. Is that true?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
So rules say same reservation, does linking your reservations count or is it the same PNR. I had an agent say she could link the reservations and it would work. Is that true?
For now, you can be on different PNRs. That won't be the case forever, at least with voluntarily divided PNRs.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by TTT
They have updated the SkyMiles News page on Delta.com
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...d-updates.html

Would expect an email at some point but that hasn't been sent yet.
Emailed DM line a day ago about the issue and was "upgraded" to C+ with my wife for a DTW-PVR trip in February. Also informed we were on the upgrade list for 1st. Haven't received an email, but saw the update on DL web site stating October 13th was the start (described as "fall" in earlier updates).
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by Renes Points
As someone who flies 100-150 segments a year and primarily solo I am THRILLED with this outstanding change. The handful of times my wife joins me we have a shot at 1st and if not can either choose exit or C+ as DM.
+1. Agreed. I was a vocal supporter of this change. My wife accompanies me at most 2-3 times a year, and often on a short NS, DTW-DSM, or to DEN. It helps keep peace at home since I'm gone so much on business travel.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
For now, you can be on different PNRs. That won't be the case forever, at least with voluntarily divided PNRs.
Really?? I had several agents and supervisors tell me "NO WAY" last week... on a PNR that originally started as one, and was split SPECIFICALLY for C+ seating prior to any of these announcements.

How does UG list priority work on split PNRs? (IE how would I make sure my companion, on a separate PNR, gets on the UG list next to me instead of at the bottom?). Unless I'm missing something, it isn't possible?

FWIW, the rules, as stated, are pretty clear that they need to be on the same PNR. So sounds like there is a "grace period" exception in place for now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.