Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
This has not worked for me yet. Twice recently travelled on same PNR, both of us DM's. One time we were number 1 and number 5 on an upgrade list of about 60. Another time number 1 and number 3 on an upgrade list of around 20. Go figure.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ats262
This has not worked for me yet. Twice recently travelled on same PNR, both of us DM's. One time we were number 1 and number 5 on an upgrade list of about 60. Another time number 1 and number 3 on an upgrade list of around 20. Go figure.
If you had a reservation prior to the policy change, try removing the upgrade request and selecting it again. It happened to me a few days ago that the C+ upgrade for both of us (GM & FO) didn't clear at the GM window despite C+ being available. Once I re-submitted my request, we were automatically upgraded.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:01 pm
js7

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SDQBound
If you had a reservation prior to the policy change, try removing the upgrade request and selecting it again. It happened to me a few days ago that the C+ upgrade for both of us (GM & FO) didn't clear at the GM window despite C+ being available. Once I re-submitted my request, we were automatically upgraded.
This worked for me as well.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I should have also mentioned that I made sure to do this before our trip.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Data point: Flew r/t SFO-LAX this past week. On both legs it was me (GM), my PM spouse and our non-status companion all on same PNR, and we were on an award ticket. We were not entitled to any upgrades (including C+) because of the non-status companion (unless we had broken him off of our rez, but we wanted to sit together). Mildly annoying because there were lots of C+ seats open. However, on the outbound, the Sky Club agent called down to the gate and asked the GA to upgrade us to C+, which was done aprox 45 mins before boarding, no issue. On the return, I went right to the gate agent, who did the same thing. She even paged another pax and asked him to move from one aisle seat to another aisle seat in C+ so that we could be together (this really blew me away--no, I did not ask for this!).

So just wanted to report that GA's seem willing to upgrade medallions & companions even when it's not allowed (like on an award ticket).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Nevermind.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Data point: Flew r/t SFO-LAX this past week. On both legs it was me (GM), my PM spouse and our non-status companion all on same PNR, and we were on an award ticket. We were not entitled to any upgrades (including C+) because of the non-status companion (unless we had broken him off of our rez, but we wanted to sit together). Mildly annoying because there were lots of C+ seats open. However, on the outbound, the Sky Club agent called down to the gate and asked the GA to upgrade us to C+, which was done aprox 45 mins before boarding, no issue. On the return, I went right to the gate agent, who did the same thing. She even paged another pax and asked him to move from one aisle seat to another aisle seat in C+ so that we could be together (this really blew me away--no, I did not ask for this!).

So just wanted to report that GA's seem willing to upgrade medallions & companions even when it's not allowed (like on an award ticket).
You can still sit together on separate PNRs.

Eg - award ticket, me and 2 general members. Booked us all together so preferred seats were free for us all (reclining exit row).

Then separated myself into own PNR and just requested first upgrades. It cleared on 1 of 2. On the other I still kept my seat assignment and got to sit next to my companion.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You can still sit together on separate PNRs.

Eg - award ticket, me and 2 general members. Booked us all together so preferred seats were free for us all (reclining exit row).

Then separated myself into own PNR and just requested first upgrades. It cleared on 1 of 2. On the other I still kept my seat assignment and got to sit next to my companion.
Were you on award tickets? Non-medallions are never eligible for upgrades on award tickets, even as a companion (and they prevent the medallion from being upgraded unless you split the pnr). The GA made an exception
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Evidently, I've been living under a rock and had no idea about this new policy. How are DMs not in open revolt? I've flown 194 segments solo this year and often miss the upgrade by one. Anyone flying SEA to ATL on a red eye knows the sick to your stomach feeling when you miss out on F by one. So now I have to compete with a guy's FO business colleague whose company booked the tickets together? Ironically, I hit a million miles yesterday on my MSY to NYC flight. Delta had a cake for everyone in the gate area and gave me a gift basket. I was swooning with loyalty for Delta. Hearing about this new policy feels like a kick to the gut from a good friend. I would GLADLY sit apart from my wife the 2-3 times a year we travel together (I give her my upgrades anyway) than to be repeatedly screwed the 200+ segments I fly each year for business. Solo DMs should clear first, then those with companions.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by viewsonic64
Evidently, I've been living under a rock and had no idea about this new policy. How are DMs not in open revolt? I've flown 194 segments solo this year and often miss the upgrade by one. Anyone flying SEA to ATL on a red eye knows the sick to your stomach feeling when you miss out on F by one. So now I have to compete with a guy's FO business colleague whose company booked the tickets together? Ironically, I hit a million miles yesterday on my MSY to NYC flight. Delta had a cake for everyone in the gate area and gave me a gift basket. I was swooning with loyalty for Delta. Hearing about this new policy feels like a kick to the gut from a good friend. I would GLADLY sit apart from my wife the 2-3 times a year we travel together (I give her my upgrades anyway) than to be repeatedly screwed the 200+ segments I fly each year for business. Solo DMs should clear first, then those with companions.
I totally agree and I would add that I'm not convinced that DM companions should be upgraded at the expense of PMs who have earned their status.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I don't understand why they don't just make this a benefit you can chose from the choice benefits. For those who care, they can chose it. I am going to see if it actually works next week for a family trip. Not thinking it will actually work.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by viewsonic64
One, you have to be on same PNR for this benefit. Most companies don't book 2 people under one reservation even when flying same flights.

Two, the normal upgrade process is still in play with fare class group mattering.

Three, must important there must be 2 RU/OU seats at the same time. Otherwise it will skip over the reservation for the next in order that only has one passenger, even if that's a lower status passenger.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Three, must important there must be 2 RU/OU seats at the same time. Otherwise it will skip over the reservation for the next in order that only has one passenger, even if that's a lower status passenger.
This. I already missed an upgrade at the window because there was one seat available and we were 2 (GM+FO) in the same PNR.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
This. I already missed an upgrade at the window because there was one seat available and we were 2 (GM+FO) in the same PNR.
Same here. And then the system wouldn't display me and my companion on the upgrade list despite multiple check in attempts (Supervisor ended up moving us to a P class fare) but it definitely has a bias towards clearing single travelers in advance,
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Same here. And then the system wouldn't display me and my companion on the upgrade list despite multiple check in attempts (Supervisor ended up moving us to a P class fare) but it definitely has a bias towards clearing single travelers in advance,
You can't have a reservation with passengers in different classes. Thus why it has to skip it when there's not two seats open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.