Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

Here is the news:

“Coming This Fall: Complimentary Upgrade Improvements for Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion

We recently surveyed our Medallion members about our companion policy for Complimentary Upgrades, and a majority of you voted that Medallion members traveling with a companion should clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the higher of the two status levels.

So, we’re investing in making things better. Starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+™ based on the status of the higher-tiered member. Diamond and Silver traveling together? Your upgrade will clear at the Diamond level, when available.

It’s one of the many ways we’re striving to offer the best elite travel experience for our most loyal members. Be on the lookout for more details and the official start date for these changes that will be announced this summer.”

Link to my post on this is HERE

UPDATE from Delta Corp reg companion status: Diamond & Silver example just as an example, but yes, this would apply to a Medallion and a base member traveling together as well.

Update on when this will go into effect is: Keep waiting - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27300561-post525.html

Last edited by Renes Points; Oct 4, 2016 at 7:06 am
Old May 19, 2016, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think this is a horrible idea. A FO traveling with a DM is not one of "our most loyal members." Why not use the average of the two elite tiers?

The current version of the rules allows couples traveling together to decide whether to clear together (same PNR) at the lower status level or to request that upgrades be processed individually, based on the status of each passenger. To me, it seems perfectly fair.

BTW, I wasn't surveyed about this. Was anyone?
Old May 19, 2016, 7:48 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This is even bad news for DMs like me who, travel 99% of time alone, and on the lowest fare buckets.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Eh, I'm pretty happy about this one!

90% of the time I travel alone. But when I do travel with my SO, we like to sit together, ideally up front. Last thing I want to worry about is playing games, and worrying about sitting apart, which the current system has forced me to do.

So, for the small percentage of travel we actually do together, this is a big win!
Old May 19, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
Awesome news!
Old May 19, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Horrible idea.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Renes Points

Here is the news:

“Coming This Fall: Complimentary Upgrade Improvements for Medallion Members Traveling with a Companion

We recently surveyed our Medallion members about our companion policy for Complimentary Upgrades, and a majority of you voted that Medallion members traveling with a companion should clear for Complimentary Upgrades based on the higher of the two status levels.

So, we’re investing in making things better. Starting this fall, Medallion members traveling with one companion will clear for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+™ based on the status of the higher-tiered member. Diamond and Silver traveling together? Your upgrade will clear at the Diamond level, when available.

It’s one of the many ways we’re striving to offer the best elite travel experience for our most loyal members. Be on the lookout for more details and the official start date for these changes that will be announced this summer.”

Link to my post on this is HERE
Does that include a non-status companion? This is great if you travel with lower-tier companions a lot, but terrible if you're a solo flyer (like me).
Old May 19, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Does that include a non-status companion? This is great if you travel with lower-tier companions a lot, but terrible if you're a solo flyer (like me).
It says "Medallion members traveling together" clearly and explicitly so I would assume that this doesn't apply to an elite traveling with someone without status.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
It says higher of the two status levels. To me, me as Diamond and someone with NO status means I am higher but I am sure Delta will tell more soon.

PS I think is this is a fantastic change. If they bring back stopovers on awards I will stick with Delta for 20 more years ^^^
Old May 19, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It says "Medallion members traveling together" clearly and explicitly so I would assume that this doesn't apply to an elite traveling with someone without status.
Yeah I see that now.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
It says higher of the two status levels. To me, me as Diamond and someone with NO status means I am higher but I am sure Delta will tell more soon.

PS I think is this is a fantastic change. If they bring back stopovers on awards I will stick with Delta for 20 more years ^^^
So basically, they're allowing a +1 at booking for C+, but only if your companion has status. Looks like a lot more PM/DMs are going to be gifting status to their spouses going forward.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:18 pm

So basically, they're allowing a +1 at booking for C+, but only if your companion has status. Looks like a lot more PM/DMs are going to be gifting status to their spouses going forward.
It's not just for C+. This also affects priority orderings for genuine upgrades to FC.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I don't see that verbiage. It says Medallion members traveling with a companion quite clearly. True, the example is two medallions, but all the other language I see just talks about a companion.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:21 pm

It's not just for C+. This also affects priority orderings for genuine upgrades to FC.
Right, but C+ has been the controversy lately, and this partially addresses the complaints against the changes.

I agree that the bigger impact will be felt with FC upgrades, which are already fewer and far between.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
This will be great when traveling on business. I usually make my reservations at the last minute, thus end up in the upper tier of the fare buckets. So I will now be able to join a co-workers PNR with mine and they will have a shot at the upgrade at my level.

Awesome !

I would hate being the DM that would ordinarily be just behind me on the upgrade list though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.