Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Looks like my companion and I got upgraded to C+ in December. It's definitely active now
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Looks like my companion and I got upgraded to C+ in December. It's definitely active now
same here for March
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by nichelle
I checked in today for a flight tomorrow. As a PM, I'm 14 of 38 on the FC upgrade list for 3 available seats. Ha Looking at the list, along with all of the others, there are 2 pairs (same last name) of people ahead of me. Perhaps they are Diamonds with companions.

I wouldn't have received the upgrade anyway. I'm Platinum in MSP, so I don't expect much. Maybe that will change when I reach Diamond next month. Anyway, this does put me lower on the list.
Same here... PM can be tough here. Not like ATL though. I will be very close to DM. I think that may make a big difference. Now wait for all the seat swapping complaints when companions can't get a seat next to their spouse!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
My data point...

Booked a trip with my wife and one of my daughters about a month ago, for travel next month. For some reason, the whole flight showed "Not Upgrade Eligible". Not even an option to check/uncheck the upgrade preferences.

My wife and I are both DM.

DM desk says that because my daughter is only a general member, it negates all of us from upgrades. I'm terribly confused by this and she says if we split our daughter out, then my wife and I should get upgrades.

Sure enough, she does that, my wife and I get upgraded to C+.

I asked about another issue that took some time...then found the link to the official announcement. When DM desk came back, I asked about the new policy.
She wasn't aware of any new policy...checking with super. Finally she comes back and tells me that Delta is a big company and the news hasn't filtered down yet.
I fully believe that Delta 'sells' options via the website quicker than letting those who need to know in on the loop....so I ask for options.
Luckily, the DM desk took the time to rebook all of our tix so that my daughter is traveling with me and wife is on a separate res.
Upon doing all that (I'm now past an hour for this call), all of us are upgraded to C+.

So I guess the system is only capable of +1 on reservations for the upgrade. The pair of us as DMs isn't eligible with +1 in the same PNR. Easy enough to do from now on and I'm guessing that dual DMs traveling is not a common case enough to implement the new policy.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:29 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
DM with FO companion, haven't gotten upgraded to C+ for an April trip yet. Not clear what's going on. GUCs have cleared for other segments of the trip so maybe that has muddled things up.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by nichelle
I checked in today for a flight tomorrow. As a PM, I'm 14 of 38 on the FC upgrade list for 3 available seats. Ha Looking at the list, along with all of the others, there are 2 pairs (same last name) of people ahead of me. Perhaps they are Diamonds with companions.

I wouldn't have received the upgrade anyway. I'm Platinum in MSP, so I don't expect much. Maybe that will change when I reach Diamond next month. Anyway, this does put me lower on the list.
Or they're both medallions. I've seen people with same last name several times before this change.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by scruffair
Or they're both medallions. I've seen people with same last name several times before this change.
Or possibly RUC's
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BHammy
My data point...

Booked a trip with my wife and one of my daughters about a month ago, for travel next month. For some reason, the whole flight showed "Not Upgrade Eligible". Not even an option to check/uncheck the upgrade preferences.

DM desk says that because my daughter is only a general member, it negates all of us from upgrades. I'm terribly confused by this and she says if we split our daughter out, then my wife and I should get upgrades.

I asked about another issue that took some time...then found the link to the official announcement. When DM desk came back, I asked about the new policy.
She wasn't aware of any new policy...checking with super. Finally she comes back and tells me that Delta is a big company and the news hasn't filtered down yet.
I fully believe that Delta 'sells' options via the website quicker than letting those who need to know in on the loop....so I ask for options.
Luckily, the DM desk took the time to rebook all of our tix so that my daughter is traveling with me and wife is on a separate res.
Upon doing all that (I'm now past an hour for this call), all of us are upgraded to C+.

So I guess the system is only capable of +1 on reservations for the upgrade. The pair of us as DMs isn't eligible with +1 in the same PNR. Easy enough to do from now on and I'm guessing that dual DMs traveling is not a common case enough to implement the new policy.

This is an issue that I wish they would fix. There should be one companion allowed per medallion on each reservation, and there are reasons it is helpful to remain on one PNR. At the very least they should be willing to force the upgrade when you call in about a group of 3 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by BHammy
My data point...

My wife and I are both DM's and our two kids are both GM (we each gifted one kid GM each as a choice gift). When we fly together with the kids I find it's easier to put one kid on one PNR and do a second PNR and put the other on that one. With the new C+ changes all four of us can sit in C+ and have a shot at first class.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb
So interesting.. Flights from LAX - SYD quietly changed from C to C+ - just happened to log in and look. Took away our exit row (44) seats for row 32 (last row of C+)... ugh.

Booked a ticket today to use an unused ticket with companion. Obviously needed to do 2 separate PNRs since unused ticket can only be applied to me. I immediately clear. Companion no luck. BUT, get PNRs linked and we are now both 'upgrade eligible to first' just not C+..

So still some bugs in the system.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is an issue that I wish they would fix. There should be one companion allowed per medallion on each reservation, and there are reasons it is helpful to remain on one PNR. At the very least they should be willing to force the upgrade when you call in about a group of 3 like this.
I will allow though that managing the upgrade priority when there are two elites of differing levels could be a bit of a challenge. (A DM wife, a GM husband and a no-status son and daughter - who gets upgraded when?) Forcing the reservation to be split at least makes it clear which rules the customer wants to be followed for which passengers.

I almost would rather them invest in making linked reservations actually help -right now I've never seen them do anything meaningful, even in irops, except let an agent pull up the other reservation a few seconds sooner.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
This isn't re companion, but something new when booking (at least to me), just booked a multi-city, and the UG to FC option was there on the booking page as well as the C+ UG option which was unchecked. I checked it as I usually just have to exit after purchase, go back in a choose seats, but this time I chose seats at before the purchase and all but one segment was already UG to C+, much more efficient. After choosing those seats, exist the resv and went back and the last segment was UG so chose that seat as well.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
"Companion upgrades are not available for travel on Award Tickets or Pay with Miles."

Ugh! That's what I use when I fly with my wife!

I'd think I'm not alone here - pay for tickets on business, and use miles with the family.

Do I really have to start flying American again?
Not true, I've gotten C+ and FC UG's with companion on award tix now.

Wrong. You can split and the medallion member will be eligible.
YMMV, I was told no by several agents. And the T&C list same PNR I believe.

Originally Posted by bgriff
DM with FO companion, haven't gotten upgraded to C+ for an April trip yet. Not clear what's going on. GUCs have cleared for other segments of the trip so maybe that has muddled things up.
You might need to call. I had to call for trip today where C+ didn't clear and it was wide open. DM agent just manually rebooked after talking to sup.

Liking this so far, of 4 legs got C+ on 3 and FC on one. ^
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:39 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Not true, I've gotten C+ and FC UG's with companion on award tix now.
Is your companion a Medallion member?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Same here... PM can be tough here. Not like ATL though. I will be very close to DM. I think that may make a big difference. Now wait for all the seat swapping complaints when companions can't get a seat next to their spouse!
Yes, PM can be tough in MSP. I'm careful to make sure I get an aisle seat in C+. I'm usually good with that. I've done intl in C+ a number of times. If I can handle that, then everything else is no big deal.

Yes, certainly both could be Diamonds.

Or possibly RUC's
I guess this is a possibility too but not so sure it was the case. Although they were higher than me, they weren't at the top. Well, unless a bunch of people were using RUC's on a 45 minute leg....

Anyway, it was different for me seeing 2 sets of passengers, each right next to each other on the list (#4 and #5, #7 and #8), with each set sharing the same last names. With the policy change, seemed likely related to that,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.