Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I don't think I understand your comment. C+ was leisure elite + 9 companions class in the past, and for a few months this benefit disappeared. Now is elite + 1...

And I don't think it should matter if it is an elite leisure traveler class or an elite business traveler class. As long as the Elite earns the benefit, there should be no difference.
There was a very nice brief period after the plus nine policy ended when it was relatively easy to be confident about being able to get a good C+ seat. Now DL is giving many of these seats to spouses and other companions who have *not* earned them as an elite benefit.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:24 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a very nice brief period after the plus nine policy ended when it was relatively easy to be confident about being able to get a good C+ seat. Now DL is giving many of these seats to spouses and other companions who have *not* earned them as an elite benefit.
Do you have any data on improvement in availability when that ended? I mean going from "up to 9 people on any PNR" to "only 1 person on the exact same PNR only" really sounds like the end of the world.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by scruffair
It is completely consistent. There seems to be confusion here.

2 Medallions on an award ticket are upgraded because they would be eligible anyway! A general member would not be eligible individually and was not previously eligible as a companion on award ticket... so why should they be now?

I think there a nuanced distinction between "upgrade" and access to C+. IIRC, prior to turning C+ into it's own fare class, a benefit as a PM/DM was that you would have access to C+ seats at time of booking, award ticket or otherwise. Now that C- to C+ is considered a different fare class and correspondingly an upgrade, the ability to choose C+ if you're a DM/PM and traveling on an award ticket with a sky miles member is no longer available and you're listed as "upgrade ineligible".

However, @scruffair, to your point, you are correct in terms of upgrades from Y to F with SM companions prior to the C+ fare class rule change.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you have any data on improvement in availability when that ended? I mean going from "up to 9 people on any PNR" to "only 1 person on the exact same PNR only" really sounds like the end of the world.
Any such data would be proprietary.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
IME, once C+ went to an upgrade class it was hard to get a good seat within 14 days of travel.

I never had an issue when it was +9 and a seat add-on.

I really don't think the change to +1 on same PNR is going to be as catastrophic as you seem to and the policy seems a reasonable compromise. There is an argument to be made that the companion of a high-level elite (presuming spouse/SO in many cases) does deserve some of the benefit as they have to "take care of things" while the Medallion is traveling. I know my spouse has certainly sacrificed some when I am away.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Utter nonsense. "Earning" has absolutely nothing to do with this, these are not boy scout badges. Delta has just changed the benefit. Now medallions have the benefit of bringing a companion at their level, a benefit we lacked before. No medallion is entitled to those seats. Delta could decide to hand them out only to people with purple and blue hair tomorrow, and that would be entirely their right.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:53 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Utter nonsense. "Earning" has absolutely nothing to do with this, these are not boy scout badges. Delta has just changed the benefit. Now medallions have the benefit of bringing a companion at their level, a benefit we lacked before. No medallion is entitled to those seats. Delta could decide to hand them out only to people with purple and blue hair tomorrow, and that would be entirely their right.
^
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by TTT
IME, once C+ went to an upgrade class it was hard to get a good seat within 14 days of travel.

I never had an issue when it was +9 and a seat add-on.

I really don't think the change to +1 on same PNR is going to be as catastrophic as you seem to and the policy seems a reasonable compromise. There is an argument to be made that the companion of a high-level elite (presuming spouse/SO in many cases) does deserve some of the benefit as they have to "take care of things" while the Medallion is traveling. I know my spouse has certainly sacrificed some when I am away.
One data point, but I'm looking at domestic business travel for the very end of this month and I have no flexibility on flights or times. It's a route that shouldn't be elite heavy and where I would expect FC upgrades as well as C+ seats to be easy to get as a DM. I'm looking at the last decent C+ seat in one direction and a preferred seat for the other direction. Fare class availability looks excellent to very good on these flights.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Any such data would be proprietary.
I'm not asking if you can share it, I'm asking if your opinion up above was based on actual data you've seen or just feels.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not asking if you can share it, I'm asking if your opinion up above was based on actual data you've seen or just feels.
def. just feels.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by phouston06
Does anyone have experience since the change was enacted when the status member (PM) is on a different reservation than the general member? I called Delta and they "connected" (?) our PNRs, but there's no option on dl.com for my fiance to request an upgrade to C+ for the legs on which our trips overlap.
You can only get companion benefits if you can your companion are on the same PNR. Linking does not work.

This is intentional (and good IMO).
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
So, for award travel, it seems that the companion UG rules to C+/F are such that as long as the companion has Medallion status (FO+), the PNR is upgrade eligible (which is sort of a weird result of how the other rules are applied and how the companion would be evaluated for an upgrade individually).

It's only in situations where tickets are award/PWM with a companion that is SM (sky miles member) where the PNR is ineligible for upgrades. (UGH.)

The PM/GM situation above makes sense for clearing to C+.

I'm not sure how I feel about that rule - I feel like there should be consistency for the upgrade rules whether the companion has Medallion status or not. Or maybe I'm just mad I can't be in C+ for MSP-HND
True. If you read my posts up thread this is exactly what is happening. So to summarize:

1. Yes, you and companion can get C+/FC UG's on award tickets and they do clear at time of higher medallion if they are also a medallion. The reason for this is that if the companion is not a medallion they are not UG eligible on award tickets (by themselves). This will put both you and your companion as "not complimentary upgrade eligible". I confirmed this by gifting my companion FO and when their status changed we both had upgrade requested on our PNR.

2. Companions are getting UG to C+ (I have no experience yet with FC but it should work as it says requested for us) and FC for all revenue tickets.

3. Though early reports indicate that unchecking and rechecking works - mine autocleared overnight. So seems like advice would be to check and uncheck but not worry too much as it appears to be working.

4. There still is mass confusion amongst agents. Some agents I've talked to within last 24 hours have no idea a soft roll-out is occurring. Some agents have incorrectly stated that for award tickets it clears at the lower companion. Some agents have said to me that award tickets are completely ineligible (may be technically correct but as implemented by IT it is working).

My guess (and hope) is that DL implements this for all award classes (i.e. including award fare classes). This will eliminate the issue seen in #1.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Yes. The non status member must be on the same PNR to be eligible for any complimentary upgrade. Period. No one can override it if you booked separately, either on the phone or at the gate.

The "connecting" you mention is a typed note in your records that is only referenced in case of IRROPs etc. (When it is relevant for agents to know you want the same itinerary as another passenger)
As I understand it the current system will still be in place... You can split the reservation and still get a non-status companion on the list at 24 hours.

Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I think there a nuanced distinction between "upgrade" and access to C+. IIRC, prior to turning C+ into it's own fare class, a benefit as a PM/DM was that you would have access to C+ seats at time of booking, award ticket or otherwise. Now that C- to C+ is considered a different fare class and correspondingly an upgrade, the ability to choose C+ if you're a DM/PM and traveling on an award ticket with a sky miles member is no longer available and you're listed as "upgrade ineligible".
Agree but that has nothing to do with this companion change. that's a general C+ complaint.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by appleguru
You can only get companion benefits if you can your companion are on the same PNR. Linking does not work.

This is intentional (and good IMO).
Yup. ^ The only time they may be willing to make an exception is if you were originally booked on the same PNR, and the reservation has been divided for some reason by Delta.

(Previously, split PNRs were used to separate upgrade priorities, but now there's no reason to do that... so this should describe very, very few reservations going forward other than ones that have encountered some sort of technical problem.)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by mnredfox
T

1. Yes, you and companion can get C+/FC UG's on award tickets and they do clear at time of higher medallion if they are also a medallion. The reason for this is that if the companion is not a medallion they are not UG eligible on award tickets (by themselves). This will put both you and your companion as "not complimentary upgrade eligible". I confirmed this by gifting my companion FO and when their status changed we both had upgrade requested on our PNR.
Wrong. You can split and the medallion member will be eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.