Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
This is really live BF and I cleared into C+ a few days ago (first leg only as C+ was sold out second leg) and now are listed #1 and #2 for BUF-ATL tomorrow and #2 and #3 ATL-RSW
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
I should clarify #1 and #2 of 10 .... so we must of jumped PM's
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by nikitta28
I should clarify #1 and #2 of 10 .... so we must of jumped PM's
I was going to ask out of how many so thanks for the clarification. I think this confirms about what I posted on our flights yesterday where we seemed to be higher than expected and got FC out of ATL with me still being GM. (Actually just got my 2nd bonus today so as soon as we get the mileage for yesterday's flights I'll also be PM and this won't help us - actually hurt because we would lose out to you ),

Just got my miles tonight and am now PM along with wife so I would like them to go back to upgrades on the lowest status.

Official announcement referenced below says starting date is 10/13, but they obviously started this at least on 10/11 because that was when they upgraded us to C+ and on 10/12 we got the FC upgrade on the segment where it was available.

Last edited by miraclebear2003; Oct 13, 2016 at 10:22 pm Reason: additional information
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Had a voicemail from Delta today re a November flight that I had booked back in June. When I logged in I noticed both myself (PM) and my flight companion (SM) have been upgraded to economy comfort with otherwise no change. So the Fall start date must finally have happened and now the system is slowly going thru existing reservations.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta has officially announced the change:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....smt-gold.html

edited to add: now who was it on here who was insisting that it was completely "obvious" that the rollout delay was because of the supposed backlash about the policy change??

<rolls eyes>

Last edited by jdrtravel; Oct 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Companion upgrades are not available for travel on Award Tickets or Pay with Miles."

Ugh! That's what I use when I fly with my wife!

I'd think I'm not alone here - pay for tickets on business, and use miles with the family.

Do I really have to start flying American again?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TTT
IME, once C+ went to an upgrade class it was hard to get a good seat within 14 days of travel.

I never had an issue when it was +9 and a seat add-on.

I really don't think the change to +1 on same PNR is going to be as catastrophic as you seem to and the policy seems a reasonable compromise. There is an argument to be made that the companion of a high-level elite (presuming spouse/SO in many cases) does deserve some of the benefit as they have to "take care of things" while the Medallion is traveling. I know my spouse has certainly sacrificed some when I am away.
Also remember that the companions who have lower/no status are, by definition, flying far less than the high-tier elite they are with. I'll run close to 100 segments this year, and will have brought Mrs. Lee on perhaps 8 of those.

It's not as if the UG-eligible pax on a flight are suddenly going to double due to a +1 policy.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One data point, but I'm looking at domestic business travel for the very end of this month and I have no flexibility on flights or times. It's a route that shouldn't be elite heavy and where I would expect FC upgrades as well as C+ seats to be easy to get as a DM. I'm looking at the last decent C+ seat in one direction and a preferred seat for the other direction. Fare class availability looks excellent to very good on these flights.
One more data point: I just booked four flights for next week (ATL-LGA-ATL-MDW-ATL, Mon-Thu in NY and Thu-Fri in CHI) and got desirable C+ seats on all of them. Well, I could have had an aisle C+ on ATL-LGA but took 25B on the M90 instead.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I noticed today that during booking process, as a logged in DM, I could click on upgrade eligibility and see whether C+ "upgrade" space was available. It was for once flight, and I was upgraded after I finished paying and immediately clicked on my itinerary. The C+ seat map was completely full for the other segment, almost three weeks away and not on an elite heavy route or one where I would expect upgrades to be difficult.

You can also see FC upgrade availability even before your FC upgrade window opens.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I checked in today for a flight tomorrow. As a PM, I'm 14 of 38 on the FC upgrade list for 3 available seats. Ha Looking at the list, along with all of the others, there are 2 pairs (same last name) of people ahead of me. Perhaps they are Diamonds with companions.

I wouldn't have received the upgrade anyway. I'm Platinum in MSP, so I don't expect much. Maybe that will change when I reach Diamond next month. Anyway, this does put me lower on the list.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I am seeing both "Upgrade available to first" and "upgrade eligible to first" when I clock on the "check upgrade eligibility" link. I searched for flights that are several months out. When it says "upgrade available" does this mean there is mileage or certificate upgrade inventory available and you could call in right away to upgrade?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I am seeing both "Upgrade available to first" and "upgrade eligible to first" when I clock on the "check upgrade eligibility" link. I searched for flights that are several months out. When it says "upgrade available" does this mean there is mileage or certificate upgrade inventory available and you could call in right away to upgrade?
I believe "upgrade available" means there is RU inventory, which was useful even outside the upgrade window when Y was upgradable at booking. There is probably a correlation between RU available outside the window and RP being available but who knows.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, they're different inventory buckets, OU/RU versus OP/RP.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Just got my miles tonight and am now PM along with wife so I would like them to go back to upgrades on the lowest status.
LOL!!!!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

edited to add: now who was it on here who was insisting that it was completely "obvious" that the rollout delay was because of the supposed backlash about the policy change??

+1
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

<rolls eyes>
Someone with an internal "contact".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.