Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
It's always possible they are using RUC's (or even mileage upgrade?) and it's not the new upgrade policy. That being said, it certainly could be a DM on a better fare with companion.
Or DM with companion could have Reserve card...or...or. Bottom line.
Half of the FTers on here think UG for companion change in policy sucks. Half are happy. Don't think Delta can please all. But in my humble opinion, DMs with hundreds of thousands of BIS miles missing out on UG to DM companion with few BIS miles will suck.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Yea this is going to get pretty crazy. Today myself and my companion took the only two seats in F for both legs of our travel. By the time we got to the gates both upgrade lists were about 30 long for F. I think I've had a change of heart and agree it's not fair.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dlandrew
I was at #1 for 2 FC seats on a quick LAS-LAX tomorrow. DM on U fare. Now #3 with the two people ahead of me who have same last name it appears. Horrible change to the upgrade protocol.
So now on the plane. Couple is a husband wife. Could be using an RUC, you are correct. Boarded behind them and they held up the entire boarding process because they didn't clear into seats next to each other. Husband in 1C and wife in 2A. Guy in 1D didn't want to move and a snarky exchange ensued.

As a solo business traveler, I don't like this new policy for first class upgrades. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that there are a few DMs who will gain most of the companion upgrades and many other DMs who will see our upgrade chances plummet.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 17, 2016 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that there are a few DMs who will gain most of the com anion upgrades and many other DMs who will see our upgrade chances plummet.
They should have the same policy American does with their EP's, solo EPs clear first and then EP's with companions clear next.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
They should have the same policy American does with their EP's, solo EPs clear first and then EP's with companions clear next.
That would make a lot more sense, although then we could discuss whether PMs should be losing upgrades to kettle companions of DMs.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nikitta28
Yea this is going to get pretty crazy. Today myself and my companion took the only two seats in F for both legs of our travel. By the time we got to the gates both upgrade lists were about 30 long for F. I think I've had a change of heart and agree it's not fair.
It's worth observing that your +1 upgrade only made a difference to #3 on the list. The other 27+ people weren't meaningfully affected.

"Fair" is a loaded term here because it can mean different things depending what you want to optimize for and there are different, equally valid, and conflicting metrics for that. I can see why you might feel a bit guilty about it, but if those are the rules Delta has decided should apply, if I were you I'd just enjoy the benefits...

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
As a primarily solo traveler I'd be ok with this too
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The policy should be that companions should clear right after me personally.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pvn
that's basically what everyone in this thread is arguing, they're just hiding behind various combinations of word salad to obfuscate it
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Zorak
As a primarily solo traveler I'd be ok with this too
As someone who flies 100-150 segments a year and primarily solo I am THRILLED with this outstanding change. The handful of times my wife joins me we have a shot at 1st and if not can either choose exit or C+ as DM.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
that's basically what everyone in this thread is arguing, they're just hiding behind various combinations of word salad to obfuscate it
pretty much.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
As someone who flies 100-150 segments a year and primarily solo I am THRILLED with this outstanding change. The handful of times my wife joins me we have a shot at 1st and if not can either choose exit or C+ as DM.
Me too! Even though I'll likely never see an upgrade due to those pesky DM's (and companions) ahead of me.

Originally Posted by pvn
LOL, I agree!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:27 pm

The policy should be that everyone should clear right after me personally.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:37 pm

It looks like the change was implemented some time last week. Have others noticed this?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
It looks like the change was implemented some time last week. Have others noticed this?
Yes, read the past several pages of this thread. We've also noticed that lots of agents are not aware of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.