Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Yes, as indicated on my previous post. Contacted DL via twitter and their solution was to speak to the gate agent at the airport. I asked them to uncheck us in, and when I did the check-in again, she jumped to #2.

So, it seems that the upgrade order is determined when the passenger checks in. If the lower status passenger checks in before the higher status passenger, the new policy is not applied.

OT: It's been 3 years since I first had issues with International check-in, and DL has not bothered to fix this simple issue. In the past, the problem was that they wanted a return date (even when flying to my country of residence) but now on top of that they ask me for a visa number and don't have the option to select Residence Permit instead.
Originally Posted by ats262
This has not worked for me yet. Twice recently travelled on same PNR, both of us DM's. One time we were number 1 and number 5 on an upgrade list of about 60. Another time number 1 and number 3 on an upgrade list of around 20. Go figure.
You should always check in together. I do this because every time I have my companion also gets PC. For the few times I've checked in with companion we are right next to each other on the UG list (in fact my companion is actually above me as per DL her name come before mine alphabetically).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Success for this PM and FO wife, upgraded to C+ on an award ticket next month by un-checking and re-checking the request box. Now in WU on both segments and showing Upgrade Requested to F (nice timing on the recent latter policy change). ^
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, there is no more being dragged down to the lowest status. I do think the award upgrades are processed after paid tickets, so in a sense you are "dragged down" but this is about fare class (award in this case) not medallion status. In the case of C+ this is less of an issue because, currently, they just process right away when you are in your window.
Another data point, our F upgrade on an award ticket ended up clearing right at the window 6 days out. ^ No DMs or revenue PMs were harmed in the making of this joy.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Just checked in for a flight since the changes are active and am pleased to see Mrs. JayTeaBee right below me on the upgrade list. Unfortunately we're 4 & 5 for 2 seats but I'm still happy about the change!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
One, you have to be on same PNR for this benefit. Most companies don't book 2 people under one reservation even when flying same flights.

Two, the normal upgrade process is still in play with fare class group mattering.

Three, must important there must be 2 RU/OU seats at the same time. Otherwise it will skip over the reservation for the next in order that only has one passenger, even if that's a lower status passenger.
Sorry if it's already been addressed, but how does this work at the gate? If a party of 2 is top of the list for 1 seat, does #1 get it or does it skip to #3? If #1 gets it, does the PNR get auto-split, possibly affecting any downline segments?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Sorry if it's already been addressed, but how does this work at the gate? If a party of 2 is top of the list for 1 seat, does #1 get it or does it skip to #3? If #1 gets it, does the PNR get auto-split, possibly affecting any downline segments?
The agent asks. However if you say split it, then your companion is no longer upgraded based on your status for the return.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:36 pm

The agent asks. However if you say split it, then your companion is no longer upgraded based on your status for the return.
Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Well, I'll be..
Have a trip scheduled for thanksgiving to visit the in-laws. Bought both tickets with cash and we are on the same reservation. I am DM and married to Ham Sandwich. We did not clear on Tuesday trip out to family, but just cleared the entire way home on Friday.. Both of us! Lots of space open. I know its not a big week for business travel, but still surprised.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:47 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
When you split in order to get upgraded, is the PNR split as well?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: Show me the points!

I believe that the upgrade split is a result of the PNR being split.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is what is meant by splitting. You can't have two people on 1 PNR in different classes on a flight.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Two upgrades (with SO) out of four flights this weekend ORF-ATL-CHS-ATL-ORF.

Sort of surprised not to get more...only 1 seat available ATL-ORF? On Sunday?

But anyway, better than the old way which would have been zero.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
This is what is meant by splitting. You can't have two people on 1 PNR in different classes on a flight.
Is that really true? The few times this has happened to me, they just ask if we want the UG/are ok sitting apart. If we say yes, they clear one of us and not the other, but don't split the PNR...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by appleguru
Is that really true? The few times this has happened to me, they just ask if we want the UG/are ok sitting apart. If we say yes, they clear one of us and not the other, but don't split the PNR...
AFAIK unless something has changed, you can have 2 passengers on 1 PNR in different cabins.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:40 am

We got complimentary upgraded to C+ on one segment but they split up seat wise. And now, the system won't let me change the seats back to the original exit row economy. Is this common? Do I now have to worry about this happening all the time? It makes absolutely no sense to me, as I'd much prefer to sit next to my wife rather than be upgraded to C+.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
AFAIK unless something has changed, you can have 2 passengers on 1 PNR in different cabins.
I was just reading DL's language about upgrades to F if traveling with more than two people on the reservation. They explain that each person in the rez should check in separately to allow the highest tier elite to clear first. The separate check-ins of course shouldn't split PNRs. It is weird to me that DL in theory offers more pax a shot at F than C+, but given F inventory these days, I'd say the chances of a group of 3 all clearing to F if any are low-tier or kettle are rare!

Also note that in the below second paragraph, it is not said but of course you'd have to call in and somehow get your companion flagged as traveling with you. How else would DL even know to try and clear a general member? Have folks had any luck with that?

HOW IT WORKS:
TRAVELING WITH ONE COMPANION:
You and one companion are in the same reservation: your upgrades will clear based on the status of the higher-tiered Member, if available. This applies to companions who are Medallion Members themselves as well as General Members who do not have Medallion Status and partner airline elite members. For example, if a Diamond Medallion Member and General Member are traveling together, both upgrades will clear at the Diamond window, if available.

You and your companion are in different reservations: your upgrades will clear based on your individual member status and confirmation windows, if available. For example, if a Platinum and Silver Medallion Member are traveling together, the Platinum Medallion Member will clear at the Platinum window and the Silver Medallion Member will clear at the Silver window. If your companion is a General Member who does not have Medallion Status, their upgrade will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to departure.

TRAVELING WITH TWO OR MORE COMPANIONS:

You and two companions are in the same reservation: all Members must have Medallion Status or be a partner airline elite member in order for any Members to be eligible for Complimentary First Class Upgrades. Each Member should check in separately and they will clear for their upgrade at their respective clearance priorities. If there are any General Members in the reservation and everyone checks in together, nobody will be eligible for Complimentary First Class Upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.