Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
If two seats are still available at the same mileage (assuming you bought them both with miles), cancel (no charge for redeposit as PM) and rebook (not necessarily in that order).

If seats are not available (at least for the same miles), you're stuck. Revel in the fact that your companion is guaranteed a seat in C+ (and you aren't).
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of--award tix have gone way up meanwhile.

I have the instant "UG" to C+; I used 10k extra miles for my companion to sit in C+. I know in some cases the fares on purchased tix can go back to the day of issue (though I've never been clear how that becomes an option).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, there is no more being dragged down to the lowest status. I do think the award upgrades are processed after paid tickets, so in a sense your are "dragged down" but this is about fare class (award in this case) not medallion status. In the case of C+ this is less of an issue because, currently, they just process right away when you are in your window.

Officially, DL.com says that there are NO companion upgrades for award tickets. However, above it as discussed that while on an award ticket with a general member companion, neither of you are eligible for an upgrade. It was also discussed that there is an exception (intentional or not) that if you companion is a medallion (FO or higher) that you know can be upgraded based on the higher status of the 2 who share the same award PNR.

Obviously if a DM and GM are traveling on one PNR (award seats) they are eligible for upgrades simply as medallions. However, it has not yet been established if the priority would be that of the DM or GM status.

I called the DM desk and she first quickly told me that if I was traveling on award with a DM or PM, we would clear at Diamond status level (ahead of any PL and lower). I then asked, "What about GM". She put me on hold then came back and said that we would clear at the lowest level of the two medallions as "Award seats are not eligible for companion upgrades, so your not getting that, you just get your normal Medallion upgrade, and since you are on the same PNR, it would be the one with the lowest status."

However, what .com and the agents say isn't always how it works in the real world.

Has anyone been on award travel yet (since Oct 13) with a lower tier companion and been able to determine whose status you were given?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dmann33
. She put me on hold then came back and said that we would clear at the lowest level of the two medallions as "Award seats are not eligible for companion upgrades, so your not getting that, you just get your normal Medallion upgrade, and since you are on the same PNR, it would be the one with the lowest status."

Medallions are eligible for companion upgrades on award tickets, this is a medallion benefit, now available to all medallions. I do not think there is a special upgrade order for award seats. All eligible upgrades now follow the higher level elite. If what is described above were true, then the two people would be upgraded at their own windows, not together. But since they are being upgraded together, it's a companion upgrade, and those happen with the higher level elite.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The DM agents are poorly trained on this.

I am flying LAX-OAK next week. The DM window comes around. Its me and a general member companion, both on V fares.

9 seat CRJ F cabin. 1 was sold. 4 upgrades cleared. We did not clear.

I call and get Chisholm. Agent insists that for F, upgrades clear at the LOWEST status level. He asks for the web address (every character) with the post 10/13 policy. Put on hold. Says SLC Supervisor also thought higher status clearing was only C+. NOT F. And that's not how they were trained.

They call me back later and say all 4 who cleared were DMs on a higher than V fare. So they say me and my companion are at the DM + V fare level, and that 2 RU slots have to be available at the same time, otherwise we won't clear and it will look to the next individual in line.

The agent thanked me profusely because he claimed rampant mis-training and that the "higher ups" were going to send out a communication to all agents so hopefully they are clear.

Moral: IT seems to be working as DL.com states. Agents may be mis-trained.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I find this interesting. I would agree with 1-3, but I'm not as confident about #4. I'd guess it is either this way or the old "dragged down to member of lowest status", since even a DM + GM is entitled to an out right upgrade (rather than "companion").

Can anybody confirm this #4?
Officially, DL.com says that there are NO companion upgrades for award tickets. However, above it as discussed that while on an award ticket with a general member companion, neither of you are eligible for an upgrade. It was also discussed that there is an exception (intentional or not) that if you companion is a medallion (FO or higher) that you know can be upgraded based on the higher status of the 2 who share the same award PNR.

Obviously if a DM and GM are traveling on one PNR (award seats) they are eligible for upgrades simply as medallions. However, it has not yet been established if the priority would be that of the DM or GM status.

I called the DM desk and she first quickly told me that if I was traveling on award with a DM or PM, we would clear at Diamond status level (ahead of any PL and lower). I then asked, "What about GM". She put me on hold then came back and said that we would clear at the lowest level of the two medallions as "Award seats are not eligible for companion upgrades, so your not getting that, you just get your normal Medallion upgrade, and since you are on the same PNR, it would be the one with the lowest status."

However, what .com and the agents say isn't always how it works in the real world.

Has anyone been on award travel yet (since Oct 13) with a lower tier companion and been able to determine whose status you were given?
It's been posted repeatedly that for award tickets if you have two medallions it clears at the highest medallion level. I personally have witnessed this several times (hence I gifted a companion FO status due to our upcoming award travels), and many other FT-ers have posted about C+ UG's occurring for companions on awards well in advance of the flight (i.e. Greater than 24 hours).

That being said the question still remains, was this just a way that DL IT was programmed and they didn't intend it or they did intend it and they just haven't updated the website. Agents don't seem to know and the old T&C on the website do nothing but to further the confusion.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Additional data point.

Flight coming up this weekend. Originally booked as 2x DM + general member.
Rebooked about 3 weeks ago after the announcement to get upgrades: 1x DM = general member and separate res for 1xDM.
Instantly got C+ upgrades upon that rebooking (Delta did the rebooking after screwing up the records, splitting out the general member instead of one of the DMs)

Last weekend, I noticed that the 1x DM got upgraded to FC on the long leg (5 days out).
It wasn't for about another 12 hours that the DM+gm got upgraded.

So there seems to be a bias toward single travelers.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:24 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Just checked in for a flight tomorrow. We are a GM and a FO on the same PNR. Due to technical reasons (App not allowing me to check in due to visa requirements) my spouse (FO) checked in first and went to the bottom of the upgrade list (3/3). When I checked in, I went to the top of the list (1/4), but she remained at the bottom (4/4). This is very strange, as last week we were #1 and #2 out of 12 or so.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Just checked in for a flight tomorrow. We are a GM and a FO on the same PNR. Due to technical reasons (App not allowing me to check in due to visa requirements) my spouse (FO) checked in first and went to the bottom of the upgrade list (3/3). When I checked in, I went to the top of the list (1/4), but she remained at the bottom (4/4). This is very strange, as last week we were #1 and #2 out of 12 or so.
Are you on the same PNR?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you on the same PNR?
Yes, as indicated on my previous post. Contacted DL via twitter and their solution was to speak to the gate agent at the airport. I asked them to uncheck us in, and when I did the check-in again, she jumped to #2.

So, it seems that the upgrade order is determined when the passenger checks in. If the lower status passenger checks in before the higher status passenger, the new policy is not applied.

OT: It's been 3 years since I first had issues with International check-in, and DL has not bothered to fix this simple issue. In the past, the problem was that they wanted a return date (even when flying to my country of residence) but now on top of that they ask me for a visa number and don't have the option to select Residence Permit instead.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Earlier this week I saw the new companion upgrade priority rule at work. A domestic A320 flight with 16 FC seats had 4 FC seats available when check in opened and then one disappeared that morning, probably a SDC from a FC ticket, but it also could have been a last minute FC ticket purchase or FCM offer during OLCI.

By the gate, the FC upgrade list had about twenty names, with a married couple in the #1 and #2 positions. Sure enough, they were upgraded after PREM boarding, probably during zone SKY. On board, they proceeded to insist that people change seats so that Mr. and Mrs. SIL could sit together. I refused to swap my aisle for a bulkhead, but after annoying several other people, they managed to find someone who was willing to swap with them out of a bulkhead seat to take a nonbulkhead window and become my seatmate. Not surprisingly, they first tried to offer to swap their less desirable seat for a better seat.

BTW, I was upgraded several days before the flight, although not at the DM window. No upgrades were done at the DM window and mine was then the first upgrade that cleared, with maybe a half dozen upgrades clearing after me (none at the same time) and before the day of departure.
I had a similar situation yesterday on MSP/LAS. GA didn't clear the upgrade list until at least after PREM boarded and there were 5 seats. I looked at the upgrade list out of couresity about an hour before (you can now view the upgrade list on the iphone app even if you are flying in first) and noticed 3 and 4 had the same last name so I'm assuming that's who tried playing musical chairs.

Based on how many people boarded I'm thinking the GA didn't clear the upgrade list until after SKY had boarded but a couple came on board with their little slips with the new seat assignments. I was in 2B and husband had 2A and wife was in 1D.

Husband walks up to my seat with his wife asked me if I would switch with his wife and I asked what seat she was in since 3C was still empty and I wouldn't have an issue with that seat and when he said 1D I flat out refused (why do people in that situation always ask you to switch with the person with the worst seat?). I told him he may want to ask seat 1C to switch with him and 1C said he wanted an aisle.

They went to the FA and claimed they had to sit together because the wife had medical issues LOL. FA was pleasant and asked a couple passengers to move and none would. Strange this was if she had medical issues like he claimed they didn't ask to be moved back to coach

It was a pain though because wife came over a couple times to talk to hubby and was talking over me and he got up to talk to her a couple times.

FWIW I was on a paid first ticket. My wife and I are both diamonds but if we can't sit together we just accept it. Our kids are both GM and we will start doing a separate rervaton on family trips now with one of them on each of our tickets in case of an upgrade (they are both old enough they won't be UM if they don't clear and we do) and I'm sure not going to make an issue if we can't sit together
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BHammy
Additional data point.

Flight coming up this weekend. Originally booked as 2x DM + general member.
Rebooked about 3 weeks ago after the announcement to get upgrades: 1x DM = general member and separate res for 1xDM.
Instantly got C+ upgrades upon that rebooking (Delta did the rebooking after screwing up the records, splitting out the general member instead of one of the DMs)

Last weekend, I noticed that the 1x DM got upgraded to FC on the long leg (5 days out).
It wasn't for about another 12 hours that the DM+gm got upgraded.

So there seems to be a bias toward single travelers.

Stupid question: what is a 2X DM? Is that someone with >250,000 MQMs in a year? If so, does that matter? I thought that, with the exception of Delta 360, a DM was a DM? Or maybe I am missing the entire point of BHammy's post
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Stupid question: what is a 2X DM? Is that someone with >250,000 MQMs in a year? If so, does that matter? I thought that, with the exception of Delta 360, a DM was a DM? Or maybe I am missing the entire point of BHammy's post
He is saying how many were on the reservation. 2 DMS and 1 non-status.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I stand totally corrected and humbly as a jack ...!! Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I stand totally corrected and humbly as a jack ...!! Thank you.
No need to feel bad. Can easily understand the confusion.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worked fine last night for me (DM) and spouse (GM). Flying on mileage trip from my account and I checked us both in. Were 2 and 3 on upgrade list on DTW-ATL flight and were both upgraded. 1 and 2 on upgrade list for ATL-SXM this morning. Unfortunately, only 1 seat left. We decided not to split our res and let number 3 have it. Got upgraded to the front row special needs C+ seats (which were blocked out on the seat map).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.