Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If a short flight connects to/from an international segment, you can have a number of people trying to upgrades with GUCs even though you wouldn't expect anyone to apply a RUC to this segment alone.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Not true, I've gotten C+ and FC UG's with companion on award tix now.
How did you accomplish this? Online or by phone or at the airport?

I definitely can't do it online for my upcoming reservations. Maybe only for reservations booked after the change?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have an award itinerary with my SM wife for JFK-SFO-JFK for December (booked in August); it was booked into ND/NS. Last week, I just went online and unchecked the request for C+ upgrade and then re-applied for it and we cleared into WU right away.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
DM with companion on same PNR with purchased C+, to the front of the line for UG list.

Checked in for RSW-ATL and ATL-BUF and currently sitting #1 and #2 of 24 (RSW-ATL) and #1 and #2 of 12 (ATL-BUF) for tomorrow.

FYI
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:24 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah my 3 upcoming Delta tickets me PM, him GM, now all have us in C+, including one award ticket (there was a change notification about the flight so I went to see, and noticed the C+ upgrade!). Now the KLM, no upgrade and it still wants $$. Good thing that when we are back from Sydney, I'll be DM and him PM, so he'll get a free C+ seat on KLM.

So what happens if you split the PNR? I might have to do so for the award ticket because I might have to change my return....
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife is just a general member. Maybe that's the problem. I still see "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE" in my reservations.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TTT
Is your companion a Medallion member?
Yes, we had three upcoming award reservations and figuring out from earlier posts I gifted her FO status for this reason.

Originally Posted by josephstern
How did you accomplish this? Online or by phone or at the airport?

I definitely can't do it online for my upcoming reservations. Maybe only for reservations booked after the change?
Neither, when her status changed from base member to FO all of our PNRs changed to show upgrade eligible. Our FC UGs were BF UGs at the gate.

My wife is just a general member. Maybe that's the problem. I still see "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE" in my reservations.
Yes, as I've been saying to get UGs on award tix your companion must be a medallion member until DL clarifies this gray area and agents can manually so this.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PM, Hertz PC
I was at #1 for 2 FC seats on a quick LAS-LAX tomorrow. DM on U fare. Now #3 with the two people ahead of me who have same last name it appears. Horrible change to the upgrade protocol.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I had the same problem. It's like when you booked, you weren't logged in when you started.

Call the desk and have them get it enabled, even General Members are eligible for upgrades with any level Medallion.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BHammy
I had the same problem. It's like when you booked, you weren't logged in when you started.

Call the desk and have them get it enabled, even General Members are eligible for upgrades with any level Medallion.
Not on award tickets though. Both parties need to be Medallion for companion award ticket upgrades.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Dlandrew
I was at #1 for 2 FC seats on a quick LAS-LAX tomorrow. DM on U fare. Now #3 with the two people ahead of me who have same last name it appears. Horrible change to the upgrade protocol.
It's always possible they are using RUC's (or even mileage upgrade?) and it's not the new upgrade policy. That being said, it certainly could be a DM on a better fare with companion.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
It's always possible they are using RUC's (or even mileage upgrade?) and it's not the new upgrade policy. That being said, it certainly could be a DM on a better fare with companion.
Upgrades with miles must clear in advance. They don't go onto the list for gate upgrades.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Upgrades with miles must clear in advance. They don't go onto the list for gate upgrades.
Except when they (rarely) do.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Except when they (rarely) do.
When they do, it's a matter of having a willing GA, not automatically going onto the upgrade list at check in.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When they do, it's a matter of having a willing GA, not automatically going onto the upgrade list at check in.
Precisely. Or a willing agent at check in, in the club or on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.