Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by spycygrl
Wow, this whole thing is so complicated!!!

I've read through all of the information on Delta.com AND this thread and have to admit I'm still baffled about how it works.

I'm GM and husband is no status. We currently have separate reservations, which I understood to be better for upgrade purposes (he doesn't care about that & I do). However, he, obviously, gets none of my perks on his separate res (i.e. free bags) and will be traveling for a band gig where he will be checking gear. I can check our two clothing bags for free & will, in order to save $.

I was thinking of linking our reservations, but after reading this, it seems like that would actually HURT my chances of an upgrade vs. help his. So, the ONLY benefit would be the free checked bag ($25). Not a huge plane, so the number of FC and C+ seats are already limited.

I'm also Global Entry/TSA Pre and he's not (I travel a lot for biz & they paid for it) and wondered whether the reservation linking would help that carry over.

I tweeted Delta and asked whether it would hurt my chances of a FC upgrade, linking non-Med's reservation.
Their response was The answer is no. You would hold your same status if even if you are traveling with a non medallion. which does not entirely answer the question. It doesn't clarify, for example, the posts in this thread about whether your priority actually DROPS because there are now 2 of you looking for upgrades.

I'm so confused!

UPDATE:
Tweeted @Delta back, asking whether my priority on the upgrade list would drop if only one seat avail (and I would now need two).
Delta Response:
You can still list for the upgrade list, however if only one seat is left, the gate agent would give you the option to take it or decline.

Hmmm...
I think you are overcomplicating things. It is now generally EQUALLY beneficial to have 1 no-status companion in the same PNR as a Medallion. More than 1 no-status companion is hurtful.

Having 1 companion is EQUALLY beneficial because they inherit your benefits and are also eligible for upgrades at the HIGHER status person's window. This is the key change from before.

Downside: enough upgrade inventory needs to exist for BOTH pax at the same time to clear via the automated system. Otherwise, neither will (and if only 1 slot open, will go to the next single passenger on the list).

LINKING PNRS is a text notation - nothing more. It does not allow for "inherited" benefits or Global Entry or PreCheck at all. Agents with discretion will allow certain benefits to be inherited - e.g. bag fee waivers. But they have no control over government systems that control Global Entry and PreCheck.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you, btonkid12345.

Unfortunately, for this trip, we couldn't be on the same PNR because the band was paying for his flight and I was paying for my own. But, we do normally fly on the same PNR.

Regarding this part of your response:
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Downside: enough upgrade inventory needs to exist for BOTH pax at the same time to clear via the automated system. Otherwise, neither will (and if only 1 slot open, will go to the next single passenger on the list).
This is just what I was trying to tweet Delta about and their response was that, if only 1 seat became available, they would ASK whether we wanted to split up (and not just give it to the next single passenger on the list). But, I think what you are saying is that we wouldn't automatically clear at the Gold window (which is an automated upgrade), because there would be no one for the desk agent to actually ASK! Right?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by spycygrl
Thank you, btonkid12345.

Unfortunately, for this trip, we couldn't be on the same PNR because the band was paying for his flight and I was paying for my own. But, we do normally fly on the same PNR.

Regarding this part of your response:

This is just what I was trying to tweet Delta about and their response was that, if only 1 seat became available, they would ASK whether we wanted to split up (and not just give it to the next single passenger on the list). But, I think what you are saying is that we wouldn't automatically clear at the Gold window (which is an automated upgrade), because there would be no one for the desk agent to actually ASK! Right?
Happy to help! Next time, consider having one of you buy egift cards or some other form of currency for 1 of the ticket amounts, and then using that + credit card for the second ticket to combine on 1 PNR.

With regards to upgrade clearing...you hit the nail on the automated system. It will look to clear the upgrade space if it's within any Medallion's clearance window, but can only clear as many people as there are upgrade slots. So if 1 slot left and two people in 1 PNR, automated system will skip them, yes (and wait until 2 slots are available).

At the gate, it's really up to the gate agent. Most times, they are courteous and ASK if there is 1 seat left...but sometimes they will just upgrade the person who is higher. Rarely will they skip you both without at least asking.

My suggestion: if it doesn't clear by the gate, approach the gate agent nicely with your PREFERENCE (e.g. split and take 1 upgrade, or skip you both), ideally before boarding has started. Being proactive will always ensure the highest change of your preference being respected.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Next time, consider having one of you buy egift cards or some other form of currency for 1 of the ticket amounts, and then using that + credit card for the second ticket to combine on 1 PNR.

With regards to upgrade clearing...you hit the nail on the automated system. It will look to clear the upgrade space if it's within any Medallion's clearance window, but can only clear as many people as there are upgrade slots. So if 1 slot left and two people in 1 PNR, automated system will skip them, yes (and wait until 2 slots are available).

At the gate, it's really up to the gate agent. Most times, they are courteous and ASK if there is 1 seat left...but sometimes they will just upgrade the person who is higher. Rarely will they skip you both without at least asking.

My suggestion: if it doesn't clear by the gate, approach the gate agent nicely with your PREFERENCE (e.g. split and take 1 upgrade, or skip you both), ideally before boarding has started. Being proactive will always ensure the highest change of your preference being respected.
Great ideas!!!
Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
You must be on the same PNR for a Medallion companion upgrade to Delta Comfort+. Upgrades for linked PNR's are only available for First Class upgrades.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
You must be on the same PNR for a Medallion companion upgrade to Delta Comfort+. Upgrades for linked PNR's are only available for First Class upgrades.
The "linking" of the PNRs is not what requests First upgrades when pax are on separate PNRs...

You can request the upgrade for 1 companion on a different PNR to F by calling in. They will verify that the companion is on your flight and manually code the UP request. Note that with the companion being in a separate reservation, they will clear at their status window, and not "inherit" your status for F upgrades as they would if you were in the same PNR.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
So under the new companion policy a DM and GM traveling on the same PNR would both have upgrade priority of the DM. However the new companion policy excludes award tickets. Does that mean that the same DM and GM on award tickets (same PNR) would both have the upgrade priority of the GM (like under the old rules)?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
So under the new companion policy a DM and GM traveling on the same PNR would both have upgrade priority of the DM. However the new companion policy excludes award tickets. Does that mean that the same DM and GM on award tickets (same PNR) would both have the upgrade priority of the GM (like under the old rules)?
No. This has been discussed a bit upthread. If BOTH pax are medallions, then they retain the benefit of getting upgraded at the window of the higher tier member. If one member is not a medallion, then neither member is eligible for upgrade at all. Not at the window, not at the gate, not with green eggs and ham. This is because award tickets are not upgrade eligible, but all medallion members have a waiver to this rule. So, if a DM and a FO are flying together on an award, they can be upgraded at the DM level, but if a DM and a general member are flying together, they will both sit in coach, unless the reservation is split.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No. This has been discussed a bit upthread. If BOTH pax are medallions, then they retain the benefit of getting upgraded at the window of the higher tier member. If one member is not a medallion, then neither member is eligible for upgrade at all. Not at the window, not at the gate, not with green eggs and ham. This is because award tickets are not upgrade eligible, but all medallion members have a waiver to this rule. So, if a DM and a FO are flying together on an award, they can be upgraded at the DM level, but if a DM and a general member are flying together, they will both sit in coach, unless the reservation is split.
That's great, thanks for the thorough response!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Has anyone noticed if this has had significant impact on solo medallion upgrades? I know that was the fear, but I haven't noticed much difference on my flights so far.

Flights I rarely got upgraded on (first SEA-ATL flight of the day) I still don't. And other flights where I almost always got upgraded (SEA<>SFO) I still do.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
Has anyone noticed if this has had significant impact on solo medallion upgrades? I know that was the fear, but I haven't noticed much difference on my flights so far.

Flights I rarely got upgraded on (first SEA-ATL flight of the day) I still don't. And other flights where I almost always got upgraded (SEA<>SFO) I still do.
I expect it would have the largest impact on leisure routes. Neither of the routes you mention would really fall into that bucket.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been trying to watch the upgrade lists for two people with the same last name next to each other, although I realize that this isn't a prefect indication of the new policy at work. So far it's seemed inconclusive to me.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:02 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I noticed it once, where a father and young daughter were 1 & 2, and I was 3, at the gate. I ended up in the 3rd and final available seat, so I can't complain.

I'll be flying for the first time with my non-status son on my same PNR in March, and I'm quite interested to see how it goes. We have both been "upgraded" to C+ already for all flights, since the day the change went live.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had two flights recently where only one seat was available for the two of us. Gave it up both times. Net net, all good.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't believe it's had a material difference. I think with as much as everyone on here flies it would have been noticed already.

Only upgrades I haven't received this year as a DM was ATL-SEA and back (with my wife, we were 1 of 2 for 1 seat both times), an ATL-JAX flight (a notoriously hard upgrade unless it's the first or last of the day) and ATL-MSP and back (also a tough upgrade).

In every case, I got to the gate with 1 or 2 seats available and the people that got the upgrade had different last names (in exact but I'd like to think directionally accurate).

11/16 so far this year, which is about what I expected as a DM who usually doesn't fly HUB-HUB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.