Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Food Getting Better

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl

I also wish there was something more 'basic' to eat as well. I know it's not meant to be a 'meal' but one time in DTW they had hot dogs. It's pretty simple setup and easy to maintain. Hot dogs, buns and basic condiments. Nice to grab and go.
Yuck. Fake food galore. No wonder Americans are so fat: trash food, calories and convenience, grab and go. Just like the "snack" basket in F - pure crap, the lot of it bar the bananas and apples.

I think the SC do a good job when they introduce less "basic" things that might actually stimulate our tastebuds and even have some nutritional value.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Yuck. Fake food galore. No wonder Americans are so fat: trash food, calories and convenience, grab and go. Just like the "snack" basket in F - pure crap, the lot of it bar the bananas and apples.

I think the SC do a good job when they introduce less "basic" things that might actually stimulate our tastebuds and even have some nutritional value.
All hot dogs are 'fake'. Thanks for the info... Whole Foods, Trader Joes and more sell hot dogs/brats/sausage/etc. Also the broad generalization of everyone in America is nice. I'm not not fat but I enjoy a hot dog sometimes. Why? Because it tastes good and I enjoy it. I also drink soda sometimes! *gasp

What is in there now that is so holier than thou?

And as posted in this thread someone else enjoyed the offering in the DTW sky club as well. So likely it would have pretty broad appeal for all the fat people huh?
Old May 30, 2017, 8:21 pm

All hot dogs are 'fake'. Thanks for the info... Whole Foods, Trader Joes and more sell hot dogs/brats/sausage/etc. Also the broad generalization of everyone in America is nice. I'm not not fat but I enjoy a hot dog sometimes. Why? Because it tastes good and I enjoy it. I also drink soda sometimes! *gasp

What is in there now that is so holier than thou?

And as posted in this thread someone else enjoyed the offering in the DTW sky club as well. So likely it would have pretty broad appeal for all the fat people huh?
I love Trader Joe's, but yeah it does sell an awful lot of junk, aisles full of it. I'm partial to the chocolate-covered cherries myself.
Hot dogs are just... junk. I don't give a toss whether you personally eat hot dogs and drink soda but moving to hot dogs from the more recent sit-and-enjoy type foods in the SC certainly would seem like a step backwards. If you want to just grab-and-go, then go to McDonalds or whatever fast food outlets are in airports and leave some more leisurely food enjoyment for the SC. F in DL has already abdicated any responsibility for quality eating in its "snack" flights, cheap and nasty and easy for them.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Exactly. And DL can fill all their 'leisure' snacks with crap too.

And I was talking about real quality hot dogs. Not your 1.99 for 20 pack at Wal-Mart. To each their own. Enjoy a hot dog or something 'bad for you' every now and then.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:35 pm

Enjoy a hot dog or something 'bad for you' every now and then.
Don't worry, I do
Old May 30, 2017, 8:44 pm

Don't worry, I do
Now that we have come to an agreement.

Lunch through close all SC need "Taco Tuesday". Fact.

^
Old May 30, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Exactly. And DL can fill all their 'leisure' snacks with crap too.

And I was talking about real quality hot dogs. Not your 1.99 for 20 pack at Wal-Mart. To each their own. Enjoy a hot dog or something 'bad for you' every now and then.
The hot dogs at DTW are decent, they are the coney island restaurant dogs. Now the ones at ORD yesterday looked like something you'd get at walmart
Old May 30, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The hot dogs at DTW are decent, they are the coney island restaurant dogs. Now the ones at ORD yesterday looked like something you'd get at walmart
Never seen it outside of DTW.

SFO I like the offerings they have.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:31 pm

Now that we have come to an agreement.

Lunch through close all SC need "Taco Tuesday". Fact.

^
I like the idea of variety per day, and Tacos can be good as long as ingredients are fresh and not too salty. Oh no, we agree again!

As an example of a well-meaning but unsuccessful SC experiment, let's remember the saag paneer in the JFK SC. I love Indian food, and especially this yummy dish, but it just looked (literally) like a (thrown-up) dog's dinner after sitting out there for 30 minutes, and probably a bit too pungent for people about to get on a plane. But I really applaud the idea of Indian food, or Thai or anything savory and tasty. Perhaps a chick-pea masala or pad thai?
Old May 30, 2017, 9:37 pm

I like the idea of variety per day, and Tacos can be good as long as ingredients are fresh and not too salty. Oh no, we agree again!

As an example of a well-meaning but unsuccessful SC experiment, let's remember the saag paneer in the JFK SC. I love Indian food, and especially this yummy dish, but it just looked (literally) like a (thrown-up) dog's dinner after sitting out there for 30 minutes, and probably a bit too pungent for people about to get on a plane. But I really applaud the idea of Indian food, or Thai or anything savory and tasty. Perhaps a chick-pea masala or pad thai?
Uh Oh... again with the agreement.

Something like Nam Sod would likely do better in the thai department. Just need cabbage and the mixture. And it's like a salad wrap so it's kind of healthy except usually made with pork. I make it at home about once a month. Prep time is kind of long.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Never seen it outside of DTW.

SFO I like the offerings they have.
Monday at ORD was the first time I've seen hotdogs outside of DTW. They were in the room where the drinks and cold items are and were off to the far right of all the cold items in a chaffing dish with buns and a couple condiments beside them. They looked pretty nasty and like something you would buy at Walmart and no chili.

SFO has good offerings and I like that they have real plates.

I wish more skyclubs had the meatballs they have at DTW, those are really good. They need to have hotdog or hoagie buns out with them so people can make meatball subs
Old May 31, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

I wish more skyclubs had the meatballs they have at DTW, those are really good. They need to have hotdog or hoagie buns out with them so people can make meatball subs
Meatballs are great as they can easily be tasty and filling and also as long as there is enough sauce in the chafing dish its easy for them to retain their flavor/consistency while remaining warm.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Back to the grits, I've seen them at ORD and SEA as well.
Also sliced corned beef at ORD -- and white bread!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also seen the grits at the DTW main SC. They aren't bad.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:39 pm

Do as They Do at AMS..

The KLM clubs at AMS have great breakfasts - crusty rolls, a few different types of sliced Dutch cheese, ham, different breads. Probably reasonably easy to prepare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.