Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rylan
Write to DL and complain... they are pushing that as being 'premium' service and charging a premium price for it. Unacceptable to use POS equipment and not then even have the BE amenities or service.
I have ... in the context of "please consider rescinding the no-Medallion-upgrade policy on those flights"

I have heard nothing in return but their patronizing marketing-speak about "significant investment" and "premium experience"
Old May 6, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A good retort would be to write back and ask where the significant investment and premium experience are on an old beat up 757 where you don't even get any of the enhanced amenities or service, but the standard F pillow and meal.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
So seems like the JFK-SEA route is the black sheep of the "premium" tcon service?
Indeed. Only recently did Delta start treating JFK-SEA as a premium TCON route alongside JFK-LAX/SFO, largely due to Delta's new focus on building a hub at SEA. The other carriers do not offer a similar level of service on JFK-SEA to compete in F/J.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
A good retort would be to write back and ask where the significant investment and premium experience are on an old beat up 757 where you don't even get any of the enhanced amenities or service, but the standard F pillow and meal.
I'm not going to poke them in the eye just yet, since my flight isn't until next week

right now the seat map shows there are three middle seats in EC remaining, and only two of 26 F seats are greyed out

maybe someone will exercise a whit of common customer service sense some time in the next 10 days ... but I'm not holding my breath
Old May 6, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
The other carriers do not offer a similar level of service on JFK-SEA to compete in F/J.
Not so sure about that. See today's post #2411 from SFO777 in the Inflight Dining thread.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Not so sure about that. See today's post #2411 from SFO777 in the Inflight Dining thread.
Yes, AA meals are widely regarded to be better than DL meals. But the AA F seats on this route pale in comparison to the DL J seats (assuming DL doesn't pull an equipment swap). I'd pick a DL 75E or 76Z over an AA 738 any day.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Yes, AA meals are widely regarded to be better than DL meals. But the AA F seats on this route pale in comparison to the DL J seats (assuming DL doesn't pull an equipment swap). I'd pick a DL 75E or 76Z over an AA 738 any day.
Understand you. When you mentioned "service", I assumed you were referring to the soft product, not the seats.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Thumbs down

So in case anyone is curious: downgrading your 6.5 hour flight* from BusinessElite to partially catered Dom-F service on a ratty old plane with no AVOD nor seat power is worth 7500 miles.

(Just to remind people they did this both on my SEA-JFK* flight last Friday and my JFK-SEA this Monday- that is a clear and embarrassing pattern, not random bad luck and a last minute MX... I've seen them provide more miles for a BE flight on which a seat didn't recline fully, or the AVOD didn't work.)

* SEA-JFK was more like 5.5 hours, to be accurate.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was that for the SEA-JFK flight or for a complaint about both? If the first, then I'd submit another complaint about the return flight too.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Nice! Wonder if Y was oversold and you got an OpUp?

Touché. Delta appears to be losing in the market and pushing away medallions - be interested to see come next year how this worked out for them. Hope they have a backup plan.
Other then the ocassional FT member who lay claims to be leaving DL because of the new UG policy, what proof do you have that DL is pushing medallions away?
Old May 8, 2014, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
has anyone that has been downgraded from BE equiped 757 to the domestic 757 had any luck, or even tried, to re-route through LAX?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Other then the ocassional FT member who lay claims to be leaving DL because of the new UG policy, what proof do you have that DL is pushing medallions away?
I never claimed to have any proof. My comment clearly said it appears that way.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Playsmart
How much money is DL pissing away by have medallions stay in the EC seats?
Ooooh, oooh, me, call on me!

The answer is: zero.

Unless you actually mean "How much money is DL pissing away by giving medallions EC for free instead of charging them for it like they do everyone else, which they could totally get away with?"
Old May 8, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Why do so many of your posts have a loud and angry tone? Is there a sadness or unhappiness in your life? It seems like you are overcompensating for something.

The tone of many of your posts, as well as some of those who agree and disagree with you, encourage me to not participate/contribute to this forum. And I can't be alone.
People who worship DL have carte blanche on this forum to call other posters "trash" and "human refuse" and "moron." People who sometimes criticize DL can be banned for a month for posting statistically verifiable facts.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

So seems like the JFK-SEA route is the black sheep of the "premium" tcon service?
Depends on your perspective. If you can deliver crap, advertise it as "premium" and charge premium prices and at least a few suckers will buy, from revenue management's perspective it's not a black sheep, it's a prize racehorse. If they alienated some J-paying customers with no brand/FFP loyalty, so what? "There's a sucker born every minute" is just as true now as when P.T. Barnum said it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.